Vela Lovers… Help

nussbajh

So this is how I change away from “New Member”
Alright, I think I need a Vela. There are too many options. Solid body vs. semi-hollow, gloss vs. satin, best color, wish there were birds somewhere but whatever. What is the best vela? PRS gurus, tell me your thoughts.

Thanks

John

If mine gets stolen or something like that, I'd re buy the same. Satin white SH.

They have a different neck pickup now tho. I'm sure it's awesome but it is definitely different.

The best Vela is the one that will best suite your needs. I have the semi hollow body model (gloss, Tobacco Burst finsih) and took a giant leap of faith with it. Never owned a semi hollow body before and I LOVE it!

Mine has the dotted inlays and that's just fine with me. I think they suite the guitar just fine.

There's a fellow on YouTube named Phillip McKnight who compared the semi hollow and the solid body versions. It was his video that made me go for the one I chose. For MY needs and wants it's perfect.

You may prefer the quicker attack from a solid body. That's up to you.

I just looked for the particular video I mentioned but can't find it. However, there are plenty of video's of both models to help with your decision. Best of luck!

I prefer the gloss finish over the satin only because I found the satin neck to feel sticky once I started sweating (lots of outdoor gigs here in Florida). The gloss ones stay smooth and slick.

Oh, and the best Vela is Seafoam Green with birds.

t2WUgce.jpg

This is the first time I have ever heard this. I'm 100% the opposite - gloss gets sticky, satin's smooth.

That's interesting. In my limited experience sweating my butt off down here, the only guitars that caused that kind of problem for me were the satin Vela and a singlecut with a nitro finish. The glossy Vela neck was always great as it got drenched with my perspiration. Must be some other factor(s) involved.

Might get more traction if in the guitar section of the forum. I'd like to go somewhere that has all Vela variations and shoot em out. Would be fun. Hard to find though.

I prefer the gloss finish over the satin only because I found the satin neck to feel sticky once I started sweating (lots of outdoor gigs here in Florida). The gloss ones stay smooth and slick.

t2WUgce.jpg
Great looking Vela

my ONLY complaint on the vela is how hard it is to grip the pull pot tone knob. i immediately replaced it with a knurled tele knob - see my avatar pic.
love feel of the satin finish

i may sell mine though. i simply have too many guitars for how little i play anymore.

I don’t think you can go wrong with any of the Vela options. They’re not all that different at the end of the day. You’ll get a little more bite and snap from a solid body, a little more openness from the semi hollow. But it’s a very minor difference. I’m sold on the satin for the look and the feel, but if you’re someone who freaks out about every scratch and nick you probably should save yourself some anguish and get the gloss finish because it’s much more durable. The most important choice is getting a Vela in the first place.

my ONLY complaint on the vela is how hard it is to grip the pull pot tone knob. i immediately replaced it with a knurled tele knob - see my avatar pic.
love feel of the satin finish

i may sell mine though. i simply have too many guitars for how little i play anymore.
I need a Vela

I’m not a fan of birds on a Vela but that gold finish more than makes up for it.

t2WUgce.jpg
So beautiful!

Back