Vela...convince me

thesockmonster

Thoughts on the Velas? Looking to cop some Gretsch and Tele tones, how well does it do? Wouldn't mind y'all showing off your Velas, either. ;)

I have had two Velas - a McCarty Burst and White. Both were amazing, but neither replaced my Gretsch or Tele convincingly enough for me. It is a great sounding/playing guitar, but like all PRS' - the Vela is its own thing. I found it to be great for blues and "rootsier" alternative music, but when I wanted to get a specific tone for my country/rock band, I was unhappy. It just didn't do it for me. For frame of reference, that project sounds a lot like Mudcrutch. I use minimal drive, lots of jangle and reverb and play either a Deluxe Reverb or an AC15.

I ended up going back to an actual Gretsch for that project.

Things I LOVED about the Vela? Balance!!! The weight is perfect and it is VERY comfortable to play. The neck pickup is AWESOME! It seems a bit darker and slightly "stratier" than an actual Dynasonic, but it is still a glorious pickup. The bridge is AWESOME!! I was expecting that to be "difficult" but it was right on with intonation.

Things I didn't like about the Vela? The bridge pickup. I get what it's going for, but it fell flat for me. Granted, I was expecting it to be my Tele/Gretsch replacement - and I was disappointed. It is Gretsch-like and Tele-ish, but it is neither. It is a PRS.

Eventually I WILL get another because they are KILLER, but for my Gretsch sounds I needed a Gretsch.

nFB1Rdt.jpg

9p7sqJA.jpg

If all the Vela-related threads around here extolling their awesomeness and totally unique sound aren't enough, I'm not sure what I can add.

The Vela (in any of the configurations) is a really unique guitar, and I am really glad I finally snagged one by ordering a RL SH Vela when first announced!

However, there are one or two folks that just don't bond with them - possibly a little too bright/jangly/I don't know. I think those folks fall into two camps: those who really like Teles, and find the Vela isn't quite Tele-esque enough, and those who hate Teles, and find the Vela sounds too much like a Tele.

o_O

So it is possible you simply won't like it. But you'd be in the minority, it appears.

I really dig my Vela. I don't personally find it very Tele-ish at all and think it's basically it's own thing. I think people see the bridge and assume Tele, but the pickups and wood are pretty far from it (IMO). It generally reminds me of old, oddball guitars.

Through an overdriven amp it reminds me of 50s-60s rock, although I use it through high gain for chordal work as I find the low output pickups under drive the amp in a really unique and cool sounding way.

I think the trick with the Vela is being able to accept the guitar for what it is and not trying to force it into being something it isn't. I think a lot of people think the bridge pickup should perform like a Gibson/PAF style humbucker, which it isn't and it doesn't.

I really dig my Vela. I don't personally find it very Tele-ish at all and think it's basically it's own thing. I think people see the bridge and assume Tele, but the pickups and wood are pretty far from it (IMO). It generally reminds me of old, oddball guitars.

Through an overdriven amp it reminds me of 50s-60s rock, although I use it through high gain for chordal work as I find the low output pickups under drive the amp in a really unique and cool sounding way.

I think the trick with the Vela is being able to accept the guitar for what it is and not trying to force it into being something it isn't. I think a lot of people think the bridge pickup should perform like a Gibson/PAF style humbucker, which it isn't and it doesn't.

Great response - this is totally it!!!

Brings me back to what I was saying - Gretsch? Eh, sort of but not really. Tele? Eh, sort of but not really. Cool guitar? Yeah, totally - but for its own reasons.

The last thing I'll add to this (and I've said it before...) is that imho, the Vela is the most UNIQUE guitar that PRS makes! As mentioned above, it is it's own, unique design.
I'll also add that I love the full, 'C' shaped neck!

I have had two Velas - a McCarty Burst and White. Both were amazing, but neither replaced my Gretsch or Tele convincingly enough for me. It is a great sounding/playing guitar, but like all PRS' - the Vela is its own thing. I found it to be great for blues and "rootsier" alternative music, but when I wanted to get a specific tone for my country/rock band, I was unhappy. It just didn't do it for me. For frame of reference, that project sounds a lot like Mudcrutch. I use minimal drive, lots of jangle and reverb and play either a Deluxe Reverb or an AC15.

I ended up going back to an actual Gretsch for that project.

Things I LOVED about the Vela? Balance!!! The weight is perfect and it is VERY comfortable to play. The neck pickup is AWESOME! It seems a bit darker and slightly "stratier" than an actual Dynasonic, but it is still a glorious pickup. The bridge is AWESOME!! I was expecting that to be "difficult" but it was right on with intonation.

Things I didn't like about the Vela? The bridge pickup. I get what it's going for, but it fell flat for me. Granted, I was expecting it to be my Tele/Gretsch replacement - and I was disappointed. It is Gretsch-like and Tele-ish, but it is neither. It is a PRS.

Eventually I WILL get another because they are KILLER, but for my Gretsch sounds I needed a Gretsch.
I'm not shooting for specific tones with mine, but try raising the pickups a bit if you haven't yet. I feel it made mine a bit spankier and punchier at the same time.

I'm not shooting for specific tones with mine, but try raising the pickups a bit if you haven't yet. I feel it made mine a bit spankier and punchier at the same time.

Thanks man. I moved them on quite some time ago, used them to grab some other PRS'. I WILL get another some day, lol. I did like it - but it was a "color" in the palette of tone, so not an essential piece for me....

I think if I grab another I'll try to get a reclaimed or, if the prices stay crazy on those, another McCarty Tobacco burst....

Well, I have a Reclaimed Limited Vela and to me it doesn't really have a lot of telecaster sound or feel to it to my ear, it's got it's own thing going on. Neither of the pickups get the Fender single coil sound but I really like the sound of the D-Type neck pickup on it. It really manages well with old school blues stuff. I am still not really happy with the bridge Starla pickup just because for me it is a little too hot and edgy sounding but I pretty much stay in the Blues genre all the time. If you have a wider range of stuff you play, the hotter bridge pickup probably works better for hard rock and metal. As it lies I tend to split the bridge humbucker to get it to approximate a lipstick type single but it still sounds too hot to me. I might try lowering the pickup slightly so make it less of a cliff jump when you go from the bridge to the neck pickup. Might end up swapping the Starla bridge pickup out for something else at some point. For now I am trying to just get used to it...

For blues leads the neck pickup is sweet though. The D-type has this vintage vibe that I love.

The other two things to watch for on it, playing seated, the shape takes some getting used to. It's not bad but the contours on the lower body make you do some adjustment to the play angle. Usually I just leave the neck strap on it and hang it a little high on my chest when I am seated and playing. Second thing is that the shape is odd so that limits the choices of hardshell cases. The bag it comes with is pretty nice though.

Far as everything else, I love the guitar. The neck is very playable and the frets are a good height. Simple controls that work well. No quality issues at all. Really a nice guitar, I'm just not sure it scratches the Tele itch if that's what you are looking for.
JMHO
-Jim

The last thing you need is someone telling you what to buy. However...
vela4.jpg
Yeah, just buy one. Fun guitars.

For me, it's plenty spanky and jangly. I'm not trying to achieve tele tone, but the Vela is close enough especially in the middle position tapped bridge. Maybe I'd feel different if I were chicken pickin and doin country stuff.

Yeah, just buy one. Fun guitars.

For me, it's plenty spanky and jangly. I'm not trying to achieve tele tone, but the Vela is close enough especially in the middle position tapped bridge. Maybe I'd feel different if I were chicken pickin and doin country stuff.

Agree.

To me, it's your amp choice and how you set it. The amp decides the mood and the guitar adds personality. Split that bridge and hit the bright switch on a Fender-like amp and you can chicken pick with the best of them. Hit those strings hard and you'll be in Tom Petty territory instantly. Back down the tone on the Vela and play through a Diezel Herbert...completely different experience. Completely!

I have posted several times about the virtues of the Vela. It's a joy to play, sounds great with almost any type of music you want to play, and once you dial it in, it stays dialed in! It sounds great though almost any amp, and I have done fly dates with just my Vela, and a small pedal board running through whatever amp they had for us in the backline, with absolutely no anxiety...it comes through every time. There are very few guitars that are that versatile.
My 2 cents? Buy one... You won't be sorry.

Back