Vela changes since new

I’ve always assumed it was Joe Knaggs’ last design before leaving.

If it wasn’t, then they totes used his past pickguard design aesthetic and “Gumby-ed” an S2 CU22 to fill the offset hole in their marketing.

So I’m still compelled to think it was Joe’s, considering it took Paul and John 2-3 years to come up with the next “original” PRS design in the line up.

If it wasn’t, then they totes used his past pickguard design aesthetic and “Gumby-ed” an S2 CU22 to fill the offset hole in their marketing.

So I’m still compelled to think it was Joe’s, considering it took Paul and John 2-3 years to come up with the next “original” PRS design in the line up.
Totes McGoats! Thanks for that insight I can see a similarity now you've pointed that out.

I’d concur. I always thought this was a Knaggs design.

Was the bridge always a steel plate? I see it listed as such in the specs now, but I thought a few years back it was an aluminum plate bridge?

It should be noted here, too, that in 2024 it appears they've gone to the updated PRS NF pickup in the neck position, instead of the earlier DeArmond-style pickup in the Vela.

There's a pretty dramatic change today, the Vela now has US pickups (all S2s now have US pickups and electronics!) and the neck pickup is a Narrowfield. I'll need to try one to see what I think...
I can't wait to hear someone that has played both compare them. I like the narrowfield in the Studio I bought last fall. It is kind of it's own thing and has some nice tones in it.

I can't wait to hear someone that has played both compare them. I like the narrowfield in the Studio I bought last fall. It is kind of it's own thing and has some nice tones in it.
I’m very curious to hear the difference between an import DS01 and the same pickup Made in Maryland. And the narrow field vs d type pickup. I always thought the D type was slight too dark and wished it had more treble. At least in the neck. I thought it sounded great in the middle position!

I’m very curious to hear the difference between an import DS01 and the same pickup Made in Maryland. And the narrow field vs d type pickup. I always thought the D type was slight too dark and wished it had more treble. At least in the neck. I thought it sounded great in the middle position!
As far as the D01 goes, I thought I read somewhere the import one should sound a little like a Teisco del rey, while the USA one had a more PAF meets filtertron kind of voice. I have NO idea how that relates, but I had an S2 starla next to a core, and the core sounded a little bit "lighter" IIRC, despite the shorter scale.

I’m curious to see why they swapped the bridge from aluminum to steel. When did this happen? 2023?
And what difference does it make? I’ve only played aluminum bridges on the vela and they sang for days.
Is steel cheaper? Certainly it will be heavier which may not be a bad thing since the vela can sometimes feel too light for an electric

My 2024 arrived. It is all of 8 days old from the factory.
When I say this things is amazing I do not joke. The bass pickup is so dynamic. It has more musical highs. It is not as dark and wooly like the previous pickup, but absolutely nails single coil tones and sounds beautiful in the middle.
I can’t say if it’s electronics in combo of both new pickups: but this new Vela is a BEAST. ABSOLUTELY SMOKES. And I’ve had plenty of core models and for the first time in a very long time: my jaw dropped as I had to check to see if I changed any settings on my amp. Comparing it to the TCI Paul’s in the new 24-08…and the vela crushed it. I wondered if it was a good move with the new pickups. I shouldn’t question it anymore! Hell yes it’s an improvement in my world

My 2024 arrived. It is all of 8 days old from the factory.
When I say this things is amazing I do not joke. The bass pickup is so dynamic. It has more musical highs. It is not as dark and wooly like the previous pickup, but absolutely nails single coil tones and sounds beautiful in the middle.
I can’t say if it’s electronics in combo of both new pickups: but this new Vela is a BEAST. ABSOLUTELY SMOKES. And I’ve had plenty of core models and for the first time in a very long time: my jaw dropped as I had to check to see if I changed any settings on my amp. Comparing it to the TCI Paul’s in the new 24-08…and the vela crushed it. I wondered if it was a good move with the new pickups. I shouldn’t question it anymore! Hell yes it’s an improvement in my world
Nice!

I wondered if it was a good move with the new pickups. I shouldn’t question it anymore! Hell yes it’s an improvement in my world
Not the Vela.. but Inwas absolutely sold when I played my first 10th anniversary s2 the other week. That guitar killed in sooo many ways.

Congrats on the score and appreciate the report! I've been thinking about a second Vela with the updates. This really helps.

Back