Vela changes since new

madeinbologna

Is there an FAQ anywhere the summarizes the changes made to the Vela since it was introduced? I'm not talking about satin vs gloss or hollow body vs solid, but more in terms of things you need to look more closely at or things that have been improved with a new model year introduction.

Were the birds only offered in the 2015/2016 time period?

- pickups?

How different is a 2015 from a 2022?

Yes birds were on 2015/16 velas in rare quantities. The single coil has changed since the original run and now they offer satin, semi hollow and satin semi hollow options. Birds are a rarity and usually only on special runs these days.

ah, detail behind the single coil change, please! From what to what? What year? Why?

Seems like the humbucker looks different over the iterations as well.

They still call it the same thing, the single coil that is...Type D Single Coil. It appears to look different in recent Velas that have hit the streets. I'll add a couple of links to pics that show the difference. No idea if the actual pickup changed, or just the appearance. The only other change I can think of, that hasn't been mentioned, is the finish is now Nitro over CAB.

Old SC pickup

New SC Pickup

From my understanding the look of the single coil changed this year but i believe it sounds the same. I never saw PRS say otherwise. I do not believe this guitar gets the tci tuning.

Birds are now only available new on dealer runs…which are rare and seems to me only on semi-hollows.

Since its introduction the only change has been the finish. It does get the updated nitro finish. Otherwise same nut, tuners, electronics, frets, fretboard, bridge.

Oooh news to me. Glad they didn’t go stoptail and instead opted for the fixed plate. The hard tail certainly adds to the appeal of the Vela. It’s very unique in the PRS lineup.
Daves guitar had a handful of protos with the stop tail...the tele style looks much better imo...very comfortable to my right hand as well...gonna go play mine right now in fact!

It looks like the Neck PU change is that they just removed the pole height adjustment screws...
and FWIW, I much prefer the standard plate bridge they currently have.

Follow up question....

How did the Vela come about? What was the inspiration? Was this one of Paul's original designs?

Great video and good for my inspiration! However, I meant where was the genesis of the idea?

For instance, did someone accidentally glue the bass half of the body to the treble half of the body 2 inches too high and they decided to see if they could turn it in to a new model?

Was there another guitar model from another company gaining in popularity and this was the answer?

Did an artist approach Paul and ask to have something like it made as a Private Stock Custom, then it became a standard model?

I'm an entrepreneur (not in the music biz) and I'm always interested where the genesis of new ideas come from.

I think they wanted to venture into the trendy offset world. And then opted for a hardtail option. I doubt it was artist related. More like entering the offset market

Back