VB/HFS coil splits

Anachronism

Bassist with a guitar habit
I have a CU24 with the vintage bass/HFS pickups and the 5-way rotary switch. I love the neck and feel of the guitar, and like the humbucking sounds a lot. However, I'm disappointed by the lack of control over the single coil output options. The various options are ok, but I miss having the ability to solo a single coil; the blended options just lack the spank and chime I like.
It looks like there are a variety of ways to modify the wiring of this guitar to allow for solo single coils, but before I have that done, I was hoping for input on how these pickups sound when split and soloed. I can live with some volume drop-off, but I would hate to have the guitar modded only to not get a good single-coil tone. Does anyone have experience with these pickups split like that?

Interesting I felt the 2+4 sounds on a CU24 with the rotary to be the secret sauce.
I think hotter pickups like the HFS have better split sounds lower output pickups just don't have enough when split tho my CU24 that has 57/08s does a nice split sound

Thanks for the response. I think the 4 and 2 positions sound fine, but I miss the solo single-coil sound. I think what I'd really like would be a 408 style system in which the rotary knob becomes a 3-way toggle, while the volume and tone knobs add push-pull coil splitting. I've got a setup like that on one of my basses, and it works well. I'm just hoping to get some input before making those changes, since these pickups weren't designed specifically for that.

Thanks for the response. I think the 4 and 2 positions sound fine, but I miss the solo single-coil sound. I think what I'd really like would be a 408 style system in which the rotary knob becomes a 3-way toggle, while the volume and tone knobs add push-pull coil splitting. I've got a setup like that on one of my basses, and it works well. I'm just hoping to get some input before making those changes, since these pickups weren't designed specifically for that.

I can't talk to the VB and HFS, but I did the set up you're looking for on a Cu22. Had the rotary replaced with a 3 way, and had two mini-toggles installed for individual splits. I also had the Dragon II pickups replaced with a 57/08 neck and 59/09 bridge. Love it! I know the pick ups are quite different, but the switching system does work well for what you are looking for. It was in need of a refinish, so I sent it to the PTC to do. I don't remember what the switching set up cost, but it couldn't have been more than $200. The refin and pickups cost a boat load.

if you have the wafer style rotary you might be able to rig that up, the pcb one’s aren’t as susceptible to mods, really.

I did it to my older CE24 that has hfs and gb pickups. I think they sound pretty good. But your opinion may vary.

I took the rotary out and put a three way toggle, put a push pull pot in both volume and tone positions so as to be able to split independently. And I also used the resistors like are used on the DGT, so the volume drop really isn't extreme.

I like it quite a bit, it gives a good amount of variety in one package!

You could always try it out, it's easy to undo, no permanent modification.

You can still buy the wafer style rotary from John Mann but they are expensive.

I have the push pulls on a ce24 with 5708 neck 5909 bridge 3 way toggle. Works great.

I have push pulls on my Mccarty 8515 neck 5909 bridge 3 way toggle but I don' have it back from prs yet.

I have a 5 way on the ce & push pull on the cu. The 5 way sounds lights out compared to the push pull. It's the main reason I don't play the cu. It just sounds kinda blah.

You could run the split wires through a push/pull first on their way to the rotary. Not sure how that might mess with the middle positions, though.

I never did like the volume loss with the rotary or straight coil splits. I've done both on a CU24 with HFS/VB.

If you like the rotary as is, you can do the push/pull split I mentioned, but use resistors like in modern PRS wiring to maintain a fuller tone.

Back