Using EQ on an Archon

krb813

I just got a MXR M108 EQ. Do I want to run that in the loop or the front end of my Archon head?

Thanks,

Kevin

Try it in the loop first. It might have impedance mismatch issues, in which case, try it in front. If that still doesn't work, you may want to try a buffer. Or something.

As always, it depends on what you're trying to accomplish and what you like.

If you're setting the front end of the amp to do most of your distortion, it will also compress. Some people like the EQ pedal before that compression and distortion happen. Some don't want that, and want to have the EQ see the "finished" preamp signal before it hits the power tubes.

Both ways definitely have their own thing happening, and there really aren't any rules for which is better - it's up to the player, and sometimes, depends on the situation and the particular song.

This issue comes up in the studio all the time, and the big-name recording consoles allow the EQ to be switched into either pre- or post-compression. Sometimes a track sounds better with the switch in "pre" and sometimes it sounds better with the switch in "post."

In fact, the type of pickups on a particular guitar might work better one way or the other. I'd experiment a bit. See what you like, go with that.

The "graphic EQ in the loop" thing was a secret weapon in Mesa/Boogie circles for years, for those that didn't have a stock graphic EQ. It was well known that some of the secret sauce in the Mark series was due to that 5-band EQ, so for those that didn't have it, this was the alternative. Dial out the bass with the tone Knob but push it back in with the graphic EQ = tight bass chug.

If it works, it works. If not, put it up front or do the suggested buffer thing.

If you're setting the front end of the amp to do most of your distortion, it will also compress. Some people like the EQ pedal before that compression and distortion happen. Some don't want that, and want to have the EQ see the "finished" preamp signal before it hits the power tubes.

Both ways definitely have their own thing happening, and there really aren't any rules for which is better - it's up to the player, and sometimes, depends on the situation and the particular song.
's'truth. I'd go even farther -- the tone signature of the signal going into any distortion can significantly change the distortion, whereas EQ after the distortion only changes the tone signature/profile/whatever you want to call it...of the resultant signal. So definitely play with it in front of the distortion to see how you like it.

Back