Using different cap value for neck and bridge pickups possible?

mrk691

Hi. I wonder if it is possible to use different capacitor values for the bridge and neck pickups, on a Custom (1 tone pot)? I’d like to try 0.015uf neck and 0.047uf bridge.
I’m thinking it might be possible using 500k/500k stacked pot? But how do I wire it? And should I go with short or long shaft pot? Thanks.

If you use a stacked pot, it will look basically like the below. You could also do the same with a dual-gang pot. The difference being, the stacked pot is two-pots-in-one so you can adjust each pickup's tone separately, while the dual gang pot controls the tone of both pickups at once, but with the different cap values for each.

wd2hh3t12_00__91377.1470694390.jpg

There's 3rd option. Sending two capacitors from the lug on the tone pot to the outside lugs of the pickup selector (pickup hot's) instead of volume pot output hot. Problem will be with a middle (or in-between positions if you are using 5 way slide or rotary selector). When both pickups selected you will have a sum of both capacitors - 63nF total in this case

Back