Used SE AND S2 or a CE

Mec78

Like the title say would you rather have an SE and an S2 standard or a CE ( older or current model)? Or all 3 of the aforementioned guitars or an older core (production model)? Yes this is the age old question of multiple less expensive guitars or one more expensive guitar. In this case the hypothetical question is referring to a single purchase rather than your only guitar but I want to know the why. In my case I’d go with the core route, I reversed this process (sold a core for several less expensive guitars and am still kicking myself years later).

For me, it would depend on the situation - with plenty of guitars in my stable right now, and with a budget of around the price of a new CE, I would likely go for something like a Core Standard, or something similar in good condition, that would hit that price range because it was a more basic guitar, rather than fancier model that’s slightly beat up.

I wouldn’t buy a CE, just because I don’t care much for maple necks. I see this kind question often, and the deciding factor for me isn’t “is a CE better than an S2,” it’s that they’re different guitars.

If I had fewer guitars and really needed my budget to go toward some variety, I’d be happy to get an S2 Standard and SE. I have 2 S2 Standards and they’re fantastic, remarkable SE’s aren’t as universal, but certainly not hard to find.

I didn't get why spend the money on a core until I did. If I could only have one guitar a new or used core would be it. Next would be a CE, either old or new. I think the older ones are better guitars, but I'd get a newer one for a few options offered on the new ones that I personally prefer. There's lots of SE's I like and a stable of them is a ton of fun. Lots of good options out there new and used. I think the 35th is the best one yet. S2 would be last. I've never owned one but played a ton with every intention of buying, though one hasn't worked for me for one reason or another.

I own two SEs and an S2. I like the fact that I can leave the SEs out on the stand without having to worry too much about them getting knocked over. And all three guitars have the 85/15s pickups, which I love, so I can get pretty much the same sound out of all three.

But when it comes to showing off, I break out my S2 Satin 24. It's modestly appointed, but everybody seems to love that guitar as soon as they put their hands on it.

Last edited:
I've downsized to 2 guitars, so for me it's definitely quality over quantity - although, the funny thing is, the 2 I have are far from what were my most expensive - I've kept a 2010 Core Mira and an SE HB II. They're both great guitars that do what I need.

All good answers to this question - no real down side. As always play it and see what you love.

However --- IMHO - I have 2 SE's - a Santana and a Hollowbody standard - they are both fantastic, reliable, sound great, lots of fun
However (#2) - I also have a Core McCarty and It's #1 but a large margin

...Yes this is the age old question of multiple less expensive guitars or one more expensive guitar. In this case the hypothetical question is referring to a single purchase rather than your only guitar but I want to know the why. In my case I’d go with the core route, I reversed this process (sold a core for several less expensive guitars and am still kicking myself years later).

There was a time when I was younger and had greater wealth, and owned several high-end PS guitars, perhaps one at a time, with one other core model and an acoustic.

Because life often throws you a curve and you can't justify owning such expensive gear because your chops aren't up to snuff, and it seems like you're overcompensating, you choose to downsize your expensive gear and seek out more cost-effective gear that satisfies your needs yet still feels comfortable and easy to play. It becomes a wash, and whether you warm up in your relationship with your guitar or not, will determine whether you face potential "disaster" or not.

As for me, I sit her with a warm cuppa tea, realistic in my expectations. My current guitars are seen in my sig line, only 3, yet these 3 cover all of my current needs for guitar practice and potentially live performance once it will be possible to do so again.

While many "want" luxury, wealth is elusive and deceiving. Many people have sought wealth only to experience job stress and family strife. The truth is, the 2 most common reasons for family disagreements is: sex and money. If one is content with what they own, or can get by with owning fewer material possessions, perhaps they might be happier because they are not as fettered by the "want" many people commonly experience.

Yes, this is contrarian thinking towards supporting guitar builders and business in general. If perhaps you might recall, your parents and previous generations had to get by with much less and had to save for important things that were expensive, like food, shelter, or clothing. As time progressed, the standard of living rose, and the cost of prohibit expensive things became more affordable. Banks offered loans that you could pay back over time, some stores offered layaway payment plans.

Yet, people still could not see the reason for why saving money for important things was necessary. They soon discovered that if they rode high and lived lavish lifestyles, they soon discovered that wealth was fleeting, and they either lost their money to whatever vices they had, whatever ills that faced them. This was the history of Americans prior to WWII. Even today there is an inordinate outcry because of the disparity between the wealthy and poor, and much of society's ills today are caused by poverty.

Yet, with all of this occurring in real life, and with many people trying to live despite the pressures of others who urge us on to buying more, we might ask, when will we learn that "want" may lead to temporary enjoyment and pleasure, but realize that the pleasure of owning something of high value is still temporary. Until you get you next "gear fix," we all are woefully addicted to buying and selling, in order to feed our habit.

That being said, many may consider this a blemish on people's viewpoints. I do not fear the reactions of others, but only wish that they realize how foolish they might be. This is not a bad joke, it's very real. Your parents knew better; your grandparents even more so. We live in privileged times, and many fight over money, position, and power, all for self-promotion, and being able to boast about their triumphs. Where have we gone wrong?

There was a time when I was younger and had greater wealth, and owned several high-end PS guitars, perhaps one at a time, with one other core model and an acoustic.

Because life often throws you a curve and you can't justify owning such expensive gear because your chops aren't up to snuff, and it seems like you're overcompensating, you choose to downsize your expensive gear and seek out more cost-effective gear that satisfies your needs yet still feels comfortable and easy to play. It becomes a wash, and whether you warm up in your relationship with your guitar or not, will determine whether you face potential "disaster" or not.

As for me, I sit her with a warm cuppa tea, realistic in my expectations. My current guitars are seen in my sig line, only 3, yet these 3 cover all of my current needs for guitar practice and potentially live performance once it will be possible to do so again.

While many "want" luxury, wealth is elusive and deceiving. Many people have sought wealth only to experience job stress and family strife. The truth is, the 2 most common reasons for family disagreements is: sex and money. If one is content with what they own, or can get by with owning fewer material possessions, perhaps they might be happier because they are not as fettered by the "want" many people commonly experience.

Yes, this is contrarian thinking towards supporting guitar builders and business in general. If perhaps you might recall, your parents and previous generations had to get by with much less and had to save for important things that were expensive, like food, shelter, or clothing. As time progressed, the standard of living rose, and the cost of prohibit expensive things became more affordable. Banks offered loans that you could pay back over time, some stores offered layaway payment plans.

Yet, people still could not see the reason for why saving money for important things was necessary. They soon discovered that if they rode high and lived lavish lifestyles, they soon discovered that wealth was fleeting, and they either lost their money to whatever vices they had, whatever ills that faced them. This was the history of Americans prior to WWII. Even today there is an inordinate outcry because of the disparity between the wealthy and poor, and much of society's ills today are caused by poverty.

Yet, with all of this occurring in real life, and with many people trying to live despite the pressures of others who urge us on to buying more, we might ask, when will we learn that "want" may lead to temporary enjoyment and pleasure, but realize that the pleasure of owning something of high value is still temporary. Until you get you next "gear fix," we all are woefully addicted to buying and selling, in order to feed our habit.

That being said, many may consider this a blemish on people's viewpoints. I do not fear the reactions of others, but only wish that they realize how foolish they might be. This is not a bad joke, it's very real. Your parents knew better; your grandparents even more so. We live in privileged times, and many fight over money, position, and power, all for self-promotion, and being able to boast about their triumphs. Where have we gone wrong?
Sir, this is a Wendy’s.

You know you're on a guitar forum focused on mid to high end guitars right? Of course these are wants not needs (unless you make your living as a musician) and even then I think Keith Richards said you could give him a board, 2 nails and a string and he would figure out how to play you a song.

You know you're on a guitar forum focused on mid to high end guitars right? Of course these are wants not needs (unless you make your living as a musician) and even then I think Keith Richards said you could give him a board, 2 nails and a string and he would figure out how to play you a song.

Of course, but please remember that even Paul saw a need to build cost-effective instruments for folks who could not afford core or high-end guitars. For that, like many, I am thankful. You had asked why we chose certain guitars, I merely answered your question from my experience, albeit in greater detail than likely necessary.

Of course, but please remember that even Paul saw a need to build cost-effective instruments for folks who could not afford core or high-end guitars. For that, like many, I am thankful. You had asked why we chose certain guitars, I merely answered your question from my experience, albeit in greater detail than likely necessary.
Paul’s budget guitars are now 500 to 999 new so still a luxury item.

Back