Used PRS Custom 24- making sure it's legit

Nate H.

I'm looking to purchase a Custom 24 but I want to get a used one since the new ones are insanely pricey. I found this 2012 model at Guitar center for only $2200 plus tax, which seemed like a steal. I got them to send extra pictures and the guitar checks out as far as I'm concerned. Since there is a 45 day return policy and I'm pretty confident this is a legitimate PRS in good condition I went ahead and bought it, but I wanted to get some more expert opinion on whether or not there are any red flags that would suggest this is a fake. Pics below.
eU97etP.jpg

KqcNhqE.jpg

153NW8r.jpg

m6POvza.jpg

zAtKlWh.jpg

hZfcWcj.jpg

This would be the greatest PRS fake of all time.

I'm not as experienced as others here but no way that guitar is a fake. Sweet looking custom 24, and welcome to the forum!

This would be the greatest PRS fake of all time.

I'm not as experienced as others here but no way that guitar is a fake. Sweet looking custom 24, and welcome to the forum!

Thanks! Yeah I've seen some fakes and they're generally easy to spot to me, but I just wanted some additional input.

Even though GC has some incompetent employees, I would be hard pressed to find that they would be selling a fake. They're too easy to spot, especially in person.

That's a nice guitar though, congrats! Excellent finish.

Unless I'm missing something, it looks legit to me as well.

GC employees do overlook things (they missed the fact that my '91 is a 10 Top) but in this case. it looks perfect! When you change the strings pull the pickups and verify the details.....

Unless I'm missing something, it looks legit to me as well.

GC employees do overlook things (they missed the fact that my '91 is a 10 Top) but in this case. it looks perfect! When you change the strings pull the pickups and verify the details.....

What details should I be looking for exactly?

This is just a basic list because I have yet to see a fake in person (only internet pics).....but here goes....

First, the headstocks on the fakes cant get the top cut or ears correct. Add to that the signature, tuner placement, and serial number.

Second, the violin carve, body contours, and pot placement is typically off.

Third, none of the small details add up. Trem, pickup cover corners, tuners, etc. don't match up to the pics that you can find.

I wouldn't be worried about what you bought at all. When you change the strings, pull the pickups and read the Modcat. Also look at the signatures and other info written in the cavities to see if it all lines up.

Killer guitar you got yourself!!

This is just a basic list because I have yet to see a fake in person (only internet pics).....but here goes....

First, the headstocks on the fakes cant get the top cut or ears correct. Add to that the signature, tuner placement, and serial number.

Second, the violin carve, body contours, and pot placement is typically off.

Third, none of the small details add up. Trem, pickup cover corners, tuners, etc. don't match up to the pics that you can find.

I wouldn't be worried about what you bought at all. When you change the strings, pull the pickups and read the Modcat. Also look at the signatures and other info written in the cavities to see if it all lines up.

Killer guitar you got yourself!!

Yeah I was looking for most of the things you mentioned already, I'm just not sure exactly what to be looking for inside the cavities. I'm familiar with what these guitars are supposed to look like on the outside but I haven't pulled one apart before.

Yeah I was looking for most of the things you mentioned already, I'm just not sure exactly what to be looking for inside the cavities. I'm familiar with what these guitars are supposed to look like on the outside but I haven't pulled one apart before.

Neck pickup cavity should have a the signatures of almost everyone that worked on the guitar. Bridge pickup cavity will have a decal with a bar code. That information is known as a MODCAT and can be entered into an online decoder to verify what you have.

You can also email PRS support with the serial number and they can verify details as well.

Neck pickup cavity should have a the signatures of almost everyone that worked on the guitar. Bridge pickup cavity will have a decal with a bar code. That information is known as a MODCAT and can be entered into an online decoder to verify what you have.

You can also email PRS support with the serial number and they can verify details as well.

Thanks I'll definitely check that. I already emailed PRS support as well, so hopefully I'll hear back from them soon.

Nice grab! Play the hell out of it and enjoy it. My son works at Guitar Center. They`re concerned to sell decent used gear. I think you got the real deal.

Back