Used McCarty or new S2 594

TonyG

Before we start, I know the “correct” answer is to have both but;
If you had a chance of a 2006 McCarty (no birds) or waiting for the S2 594 (2nd hand 594 over budget) would you take it.
Asking for a friend ;)

Admittedly I am the LAST person on earth qualified to discuss restraint/patience in guitar buying...but if you’re not in a rush...I’d bet the price on used core 594s comes down a bit over the next six months as the new nitro finished/tweaked PU versions enter the market. Probably not all the way to new S2 level...but closer than right now, and if you really want a 594...maybe close enough.

That's a tough one...
A used McCarty will retain most of its value, where a new S2 594 will drop some.
I have a 2001 McCarty and it is an exquisite instrument.
I have a core 594 coming on Tuesday so will have to reserve judgement on tonal differences, but based on improvements in pups, and the switching capabilities the S2 594 might be the winner.
Tough one indeed.

Admittedly I am the LAST person on earth qualified to discuss restraint/patience in guitar buying...but if you’re not in a rush...I’d bet the price on used core 594s comes down a bit over the next six months as the new nitro finished/tweaked PU versions enter the market. Probably not all the way to new S2 level...but closer than right now, and if you really want a 594...maybe close enough.
Good point.

I just listened to the Bryan Ewald videos demoing the S2 594s.

I’ll say this as a guy who loves both the Core McCartys and 594s, and currently have two Core 594s, a PS McCarty Singlecut, and a new McCarty on order (and have owned several McCartys over the years]:

The S2 594s sound fantastic!

So good, in fact, that I’m thinking the S2 all-mahogany 594 Thinline might be a wise buy at some point to go with what I have.

I like the 594 sound and neck, so I’d get the S2/594 without even thinking twice about it.

The S2 594s sound fantastic!

So good, in fact, that I’m thinking the S2 all-mahogany 594 Thinline might be a wise buy at some point to go with what I have.

I would think the thinline would have to be a must buy for anyone who already has a 594.

Thanks guys. It would seem from the responses even with all your thoughts and experiences it’s a difficult choice. But what a choice to have. Might have to advise “my friend” to take on board Toscas advice to show restraint and see what’s available when the S2’s arrive, but you know how what it’s like when you have GAS

I definitely vote for the McCarty, I just recently purchased a 2009 Ted McCarty, rapidly becoming number 1 guitar. the sustain is just wow. the tone is just wow.

I purchased 2 S2s over the last couple years I returned both of them within the 30 day return policy. I've also played several at the guitar center
While they are quite good, they just don't quite stand up to a core model. I've suppose it might be in the pickups they have just seem to be missing some mojo.
so I've definitely stopped buying the S2.
but the McCarty was a collaboration of 2 passionate guitar crazies.

2006?

I definitely vote for the McCarty, I just recently purchased a 2009 Ted McCarty, rapidly becoming number 1 guitar. the sustain is just wow. the tone is just wow.

I purchased 2 S2s over the last couple years I returned both of them within the 30 day return policy. I've also played several at the guitar center
While they are quite good, they just don't quite stand up to a core model. I've suppose it might be in the pickups they have just seem to be missing some mojo.
so I've definitely stopped buying the S2.
but the McCarty was a collaboration of 2 passionate guitar crazies.

2006?
That’s the one :). My only real concern is the age, but looks in good nick.

Last edited:
If you've got a line on a core McCarty that's priced right, grab it! I'll freely admit to being a little biased as I just picked up a mint 2000 McCarty a couple of weeks back, but those guitars are simply stellar pieces. For me, it also didn't hurt that I got a killer deal and paid well under what that S2 594 is going to retail so there are deals out there to be had.

Thanks all for responding glad I asked the question as it seems there are pros and pros for both scenarios. All good advice. However reading today’s responses, the advice to “my friend” would seem to be buy the McCarty. How do the McCarty pickups compare to 57/08’s. Love them in the Chris Robertson and they are my new benchmark. My 80’s Charvel, BC Rich and Ibanez have languished in their cases since I got the CR and realised that vintage style pickups are the way forward. Still need to rock out a bit though.
Another question and another reason my old guitars no longer see the light of day, I love the shorter scale length of the CR and Santana. A noticeable difference for me from 25.5, would there be much difference in the 25 of the McCarty?

Back