Used core guitars

Torvald

I now have three nice SE's, one with Seth Lovers and another with Lollar mini's and both sound great. The other is the SE Paul's guitar and the pickups are so good I don't intend to change them. Still I'm really interested in a core. Lately I've been looking at Mcarty's and a certain MC58, both used and both on Reverb. Will my playing experience really be enhanced? Will they sound better? Or maybe I just want one because of the amazing figured tops and better hardware, electronics etc. Does a used core hold it's value, assuming you don't beat it up?

Whether you feel the experience is enhanced moving up to a core will be completely up to you. IMHO, there is no comparison. Typically, I don't feel like I need to change anything on a core level guitar. There have been very few times where I thought something needed changed but that has been few and far between. The core models look to hold their value better than the SE lines, especially over the long term. Of course, if it get beat up a lot, there will be a loss in value for that. It is very possible to have them and play them a lot and still keep them in great condition. I have some that are 17 years old that I have gigged that still look almost new. I am very regimented on how I handle them. They are the last thing to go on stage and the first to come off.

Whether you feel the experience is enhanced moving up to a core will be completely up to you. IMHO, there is no comparison. Typically, I don't feel like I need to change anything on a core level guitar. There have been very few times where I thought something needed changed but that has been few and far between. The core models look to hold their value better than the SE lines, especially over the long term. Of course, if it get beat up a lot, there will be a loss in value for that. It is very possible to have them and play them a lot and still keep them in great condition. I have some that are 17 years old that I have gigged that still look almost new. I am very regimented on how I handle them. They are the last thing to go on stage and the first to come off.
Completely agree. IMO, there is a night and day difference between Core and SE. Not at all saying that the SE is bad, or taking anything away from them. They are GREAT guitars. But, there is something about the Core level that just exceeds the SE in every way possible. The drying process of the woods. The fit, feel and finish. You just have to try it for yourself. If it is within your means, I really think you should do it.

Completely agree. IMO, there is a night and day difference between Core and SE. Not at all saying that the SE is bad, or taking anything away from them. They are GREAT guitars. But, there is something about the Core level that just exceeds the SE in every way possible. The drying process of the woods. The fit, feel and finish. You just have to try it for yourself. If it is within your means, I really think you should do it.

Totally agree now I have a comparison.

Same thing. Now that I have a McCarty 594 SE and have compared it to my core McCarty, there is an obvious difference in sound and feel. The SE does a great job of handling pedals though. That may be due to the pickups and shorter neck. But playing straight into my amps, the core model takes the prize. Of all the SE models I have played though the Silver Sky is closest to a core model. I actually prefer the neck of the SE over the core, and the pickups sound just as good. One thing for sure is I will always bring the SS SE to a gig if I need a Strat sound.

In my view it depends. I have SE's and I have cores. I even have artist packages. They all play and sound better than my skill set requires. But that isn't the point. Will you see them as better for you? That is the question. I hold the cores in higher esteem than the SE's. Is that perspective the usual one? Yes. They are just better in sound and in playability. But 3X or 4x more? No. The SE's hit far above their weight class. But when you own a core, might you think you didn't get your money's worth? No. History and thousands of contributors here say they are happy they got the core. So maybe there's that one guy who thinks the core wasn't worth the cash, but that would be a very small minority. Most, like me, think they got their money's worth.

And to answer the other question, yes, if you buy used you can sell the core for what you have in it most all the time.

Will my playing experience really be enhanced? Will they sound better?

Opinions are like a$$holes so I'll put my money where my mouth is. I have a tasty selection of guitars that span the PRS spectrum. But the guitar getting played most, in this house, is an SE.

I've said it before. I'll say it again. SE haters can suck it.

I am of the belief that you can never have too many guitars.

Buy the Core model and keep your SE's as well.

Will your experience be enhanced on a Core guitar over the SE? Absolutely....it's a PRS and will, undoubtedly, give you great joys you were not yet experiencing on your SE's.

More guitars = happiness.

Determining whether a guitar is right for you based on which product line it comes from is a bad route IMO. As Master Hans posted above, he has an incredible collection, and his fav at the moment is an SE for play. The first PRS I ever played was my McCarty 594 HBII WL and although I have purchased another core and a PS since then, the SE's that I have played at stores have been well constructed instruments better than most other guitars I have played and I will eventually by a SE HB so I don't have to worry about my core+ items getting stolen. There are also SE items that you simply can not get in a core version and that model may be your holy grail, so unless you want to pony up for a PS version of it (if PRS will even make it), you will be forced into an SE. In 2020 when I was looking for a nice acoustic, I went to my local shop to play the Taylors they had. I played everything from 200 series (~$1000 I think) through I think 900 series (I think the most expensive one I played was $6000) and did so blindfolded so that I would not be influenced by the beautiful woods on the more expensive ones. Now that said, I did not like the sound, it was not the Martin sound that I have come to know and love, but point is, don't let the model line or price change what you think of it in hand and how it sounds, those are the elements that count the most!

My modified SE's all sound comparable to my Core models, and play easily too.

New pickups in the SE's can bring them to a professional level.

All of my SE's have been carefully set up and detailed. That might be something that Core models have to offer over the SE: a more perfect and detailed factory set up.

I play my Core models more often. They ring better. Resonate more nicely.

But my SE's that have had new pickups installed and a complete set up including a little fret work, nut work, the saddles intonated, string height set, and truss rod tweaked, are excellent guitars.

When it comes to SE's, I do think they sound better without the second "flame maple" veneer top glued on over the arched top. The flame maple is glued on in a sheet and although it's beautiful I suspect it causes some tone loss.

Last edited:
I'll go with "it depends," especially regarding what inspires you, and share some of my experience.

I have tried quite a few PRS guitars over the years, but the only one I've owned so far is a 2008 Mira. I see it often called a "Core" guitar now, to differentiate it from the later S2 and SE versions, but I don't know if that's quite accurate. It is a bit more utilitarian and considerably less visually striking than most Core guitars, but it does play astoundingly well.

Its playing so well is why it has become my favorite, most used electric. Once I got over the imposter syndrome of being able to play things on it that I struggled with on other guitars, I noticed I was playing longer and better working out issues. And with its clarity I better hear mistakes and can correct them (I can use the tone and volume to darken the tone, though).

Most importantly, it inspires me to try new ideas and experiment. So in that respect, it has definitely helped my playing and brought more enjoyment.

It also helped me get over GAS and constantly buying, and I haven't bought a guitar since getting it and even recently sold a few, but there were a few reasons for that. (I've looked at others, though, especially with the empty space in my rack now.)

That said, I have also experienced a high-end guitar not really improving playing. The most I've spent on a guitar was for a Collings OM1 acoustic. It was beautifully made, very visually striking, with a loud, clear, responsive tone. But after the honeymoon phase I rarely played it. One issue was being afraid to ding it, another was ownership guilt, but mostly was the more practical reason of its being so loud and bright that playing it in a small room set off my tinnitus. And its sound, as wonderful as it was, didn't quite match the one in my head as well as my mellower, much less expensive all sapele guitar (a Martin 000-15). So as nice as the Collings was, it wasn't the right choice for me.

Thus, simply having a high-end guitar won't necessarily make you better; it still has to be the right instrument for your playing, progress, and inspiration. But when you find one that is, it's astounding.

I have 2 SE 245s and an S2 McCarty 594 SC. The S2 sound is on a different level even before plugging in and I agree with @Louguitar guitar that the SE pups should often be changed, as the OP did, and often the nuts too. The S2 pups are OK but some guys switch even those out (not an issue with cores). Playability is actually pretty close. So the SE really warrants mods but done right they're at a level with my LP and Tele.

I'm intentionally holding off trying a core till my playing improves.

I have 3 cores (and 1 incoming) and one SE, a HBII. All great axes. The SE plays great, sounds great and is a joy to have. However if it comes to details: extremely sloppy compared to the core guitars. No way a core guitar with that many visual defects (just visual) leaves Stevensville. And i checked several guitars: all had the same glitches.

That being said: it sounds great, great value for money, without a doubt.

So what Core model would anyone recommend though?
A quick skeg on Reverb shows cheapest Core models to be Mira and then Starla.
Or are they to be bypassed?

So what Core model would anyone recommend though?
A quick skeg on Reverb shows cheapest Core models to be Mira and then Starla.
Or are they to be bypassed?
No, they are great! Have a starla and love it, however not a standard PRS guitar. A little bit gretsch meets tele, meets SG with bigsby.

I guess a mira is more standard PRS territory?

The fact that YOU have both tells the story. You don't (to drive my point home) own any Squires or an Epiphones.

I didn’t say SEs weren’t nice, because they are. As a matter of fact, I’ve often recommended them to many people, and have purchased for some, because they are a BARGAIN. That said, IMO, the cores are a definite step above.

On Personal Experience. I got a Paul's Guitar SE this year on January, and I liked it so much, I grabbed a McCarty from 1999 with Lollar P90 and just last week was lucky I saw a 2013 DGT and grabbed that one (I was waiting for the SE version to arrive here in my country)

The Paul's guitar plays great, sounds good, however as has been said, once I had the McCarty yeah, the Cores every one of them I've had has been perfect instruments (I had last year a 594 Core and a Silver sky core, and also had a Sivevr Sky SE)

Also the DGT is perfect.

They have that premium feel and look.

And soundwise I would say the 594 sounded very good, and the McCarty and DGT sound Outstanding!!

The Silver Sky and Silver Sky SE sound very similar, the USA made is more perfect and feels premium in the hand, but the SE is great.

And the Paul's Guitar SE sounds good to me, good enough for not wanting to change pickups but nothing that blows my mind. And the feel in the hand is good but the Core feels nicer for sure. But don't get me wrong cos I really love the Paul's Guitar SE myself and every time I play it I enjoy it very much.

I think both SE's I've had were very good instruments , SE I think its fantastic, but Cores are really perfect.

But its a bit of an unfair comparison, cos even fender and gibson USA ones dont get to PRS Core level of quality.

Back