Used core guitars

Finally got here, just this afternoon. It's just as good as I had hoped. There was a little confusion. The seller listed it as having Bare Knuckle pickups. Turned out to have Lindy Fralins. He quickly refunded $100. The LF's sound great, anyway, so I'm happy. Especially love the rosewood neck and the natural binding.
h51IdK3.jpg
hXr6kyz.jpg
EnAfgn0.jpg

And no headstock dings! I hate that.

Finally got here, just this afternoon. It's just as good as I had hoped. There was a little confusion. The seller listed it as having Bare Knuckle pickups. Turned out to have Lindy Fralins. He quickly refunded $100. The LF's sound great, anyway, so I'm happy. Especially love the rosewood neck and the natural binding.
h51IdK3.jpg
hXr6kyz.jpg
EnAfgn0.jpg

Congrats! Heck the Fralin humbucker p90s are easily my favs after trying tons of differnet winders. Score!

My collection is the opposite. I have 2 cores and a CE 24, but have zero SE’s, or S2’s. Both of my cores were 2nd hand, a 2021 McCarty 594 HBII, and a 2006 Custom 22. Both 10 tops, and the 22 is a single piece top. I would rather buy used Core than new SE, but that’s just me. My 1st and likely only SE may be a Silver Sky - per another string - which I note some here have contributed to. IMO the PRS magic is in Maryland.

h51IdK3.jpg
hXr6kyz.jpg
EnAfgn0.jpg

Fantastic! I have her sister.
Congrats!

h51IdK3.jpg
hXr6kyz.jpg
EnAfgn0.jpg

Score! Congrats! That looks like a great guitar. Lindy knows his stuff when it comes to winding pickups. He was someone that PRS used in the past to wind him up some pickups. It was very nice that the seller refunded you some money for the pickups not being what he though they were. That tells me you bought it from an honest person and can feel comfortable that you can believe the things he told you.

I have 2 SE 245s and an S2 McCarty 594 SC. The S2 sound is on a different level even before plugging in and I agree with @Louguitar guitar that the SE pups should often be changed, as the OP did, and often the nuts too. The S2 pups are OK but some guys switch even those out (not an issue with cores). Playability is actually pretty close. So the SE really warrants mods but done right they're at a level with my LP and Tele.

I'm intentionally holding off trying a core till my playing improves.
Don't wait... I love my modded SE and S2 guitars, but my cores bring me great joy!

I do have one SE that I play a LOT, and that is my heavily modded SE Orianthi CU24. She will reside always on my "favorite guitars" wall hanging racks in my office studio. Custom hand wound Zhangbucker pickups and full rewire with all new parts and really good wiring...

So what Core model would anyone recommend though?
A quick skeg on Reverb shows cheapest Core models to be Mira and then Starla.
Or are they to be bypassed?
Modern Eagle V
DGT
My MEV and 509 are Wood Library with Swamp Ash bodies, maple tops, neck.
I have owned both with stock mahogany bodies and necks and they were great, too, just a slightly different flavor tone.
Can't go wrong with a Custom 24-08 either.

Don't wait... I love my modded SE and S2 guitars, but my cores bring me great joy!

I do have one SE that I play a LOT, and that is my heavily modded SE Orianthi CU24. She will reside always on my "favorite guitars" wall hanging racks in my office studio. Custom hand wound Zhangbucker pickups and full rewire with all new parts and really good wiring...
Don't get me wrong, waiting for a Core is not easy at all. :confused:

Part of the reason for the intentionally restrained pace is that I got awesome deals on 2 out of 3 of the PRSi, especially the SE245 Soapie that was cheap to start with and the folks at GC didn't take the time to notice that the bridge pup was upgraded and that the neck was sanded to a velvety texture which together would have been 50% or more of the price. Also I'm still learning about all the various singlecuts under 24.6" including one more model yesterday.

So absolutely looking forward to making the jump and loving what's here already. Especially since, as of Christmas, I'd never had a PRS at all.

Don't get me wrong, waiting for a Core is not easy at all. :confused:

Part of the reason for the intentionally restrained pace is that I got awesome deals on 2 out of 3 of the PRSi, especially the SE245 Soapie that was cheap to start with and the folks at GC didn't take the time to notice that the bridge pup was upgraded and that the neck was sanded to a velvety texture which together would have been 50% or more of the price. Also I'm still learning about all the various singlecuts under 24.6" including one more model yesterday.

So absolutely looking forward to making the jump and loving what's here already. Especially since, as of Christmas, I'd never had a PRS at all.
Very cool!!!

Back