USA Guitars/PRS Core out of reach?

Really? How many "executives making $500K salaries" do you know? I'm assuming the sample size is way too small to make such claims as fact. Saying things like that in a forum like this IS trolling. There's a lot of cool guys here but comments like that are not a great way to get a warm welcome in any forum. And trust me, this is coming form one of the NOT rich guys.

disagree. Moderators, please close this discussion out.

I personally think ALL High End instruments are priced a bit out of reach for many musicians. Though I have had a few PRS core guitars over the years, I have only had one or two at a time. And they were spaced out a bit. The rest of my collection are the overseas made Schecters, Fenders, Ovations, Washburns, etc.......

For me, the core PRS is the "goal". The other brands, though I love them to death and play them regularly, are the "reality" of what I can really afford. Now, I will go and spend on a core anyway.....BUT, it usually puts me in a hole. Even after buying used and getting a great deal on a really nice instrument. But, to me, owning one just FEELS good. So I make it a point to try to have one when it is possible.

Let's face it......Any guitar I play "sounds" like me. When I had to sell my PRS guitars this past winter and I played a Schecter for one of our larger gigs, no one asked about it. Why? Because I still just sounded like ME. To be honest, a core PRS (and in reality, an SE as well) is capable of playing MUCH better than I am capable of playing them. So, part of the ownership for me is just the joy of knowing I own it. Because that feeling is important to me, I own one or two now and again. For some others, even though they may like the brand (or a specific guitar) may not be worth the expenditure.

I think the OP would have caught less grief if he would have phrased this post differently. Something more like "I don't understand how people of modest income can afford a USA PRS......can anyone here give me some pointers of how to find a worthwhile deal or tell me how you were able to pull it off"? That way, it wouldn't have seemed like there was this attitude and bias towards who can (or cannot) afford to play PRS. There may have been a more focused set of responses with a more positive vibe. Just a thought.

I personally think ALL High End instruments are priced a bit out of reach for many musicians. Though I have had a few PRS core guitars over the years, I have only had one or two at a time. And they were spaced out a bit. The rest of my collection are the overseas made Schecters, Fenders, Ovations, Washburns, etc.......

For me, the core PRS is the "goal". The other brands, though I love them to death and play them regularly, are the "reality" of what I can really afford. Now, I will go and spend on a core anyway.....BUT, it usually puts me in a hole. Even after buying used and getting a great deal on a really nice instrument. But, to me, owning one just FEELS good. So I make it a point to try to have one when it is possible.

Let's face it......Any guitar I play "sounds" like me. When I had to sell my PRS guitars this past winter and I played a Schecter for one of our larger gigs, no one asked about it. Why? Because I still just sounded like ME. To be honest, a core PRS (and in reality, an SE as well) is capable of playing MUCH better than I am capable of playing them. So, part of the ownership for me is just the joy of knowing I own it. Because that feeling is important to me, I own one or two now and again. For some others, even though they may like the brand (or a specific guitar) may not be worth the expenditure.

I think the OP would have caught less grief if he would have phrased this post differently. Something more like "I don't understand how people of modest income can afford a USA PRS......can anyone here give me some pointers of how to find a worthwhile deal or tell me how you were able to pull it off"? That way, it wouldn't have seemed like there was this attitude and bias towards who can (or cannot) afford to play PRS. There may have been a more focused set of responses with a more positive vibe. Just a thought.
Wise man.

Back