USA Guitars/PRS Core out of reach?

Consumers have lots of disposable income, and I don’t feel that PRS prices have increased at a rate disproportionate to inflation.

Disagree on both counts. Consumers have access to more credit. Look at the reports of home much credit card debt the population is carrying. It's staggering. I don't think it has anything to do with disposable income, because I'm tending to believe that most people don't have such a thing.

While we aren't supposed to discuss current pricing, I can remember not too long ago when a basic non-10 CU24 was MAP'ing at $2610. PRS sure have inflated at a very high rate.

Respectfully, I have considered the points that you have made. But does it change the fact that USA guitars will eventually be priced too high for most people to afford? That's what I'm concerned about primarily.
I understand. Most of my PRS models are used, around 8~12 years old. You only pay the current price if you buy the current model.

There's no shortage of BMWs or Mercedes on the road. And not everyone bought theirs new. There won't be a shortage of core PRS guitars (or buyers) either. This is a non-argument.

Last edited:
I have a modest car I like. I could afford a more expensive one (if I cut out a couple of holidays). But I just dont want a more expensive car.

All of the guitars I presently would consider buying, are modestly priced. I could afford a high end model (& scratch one holiday) but I dont want one. The only ones I want right now are easily affordable. That's a nice feeling.

I have a modest car I like. I could afford a more expensive one (if I cut out a couple of holidays). But I just dont want a more expensive car.

All of the guitars I presently would consider buying, are modestly priced. I could afford a high end model (& scratch one holiday) but I dont want one. The only ones I want right now are easily affordable. That's a nice feeling.

For me it’s more about the personal challenge than the details. It’s not about wanting something expensive, it’s about setting a goal that requires work and sacrifice to achieve. The sacrifices I end up making are those which need to be sacrificed, but wouldn’t be with just a whip and no carrot.

There’s nothing wrong with having good taste. Just because we’re just heavily penalized for it at the cash register doesn’t make it a bad thing. Granted it would take much less effort to adjust my taste to my wallet, but I like the challenge and don’t have to lower my standards just because I’m not rich.

With everything but my hobbies all I care about is functionality, it just has to keep working under heavy use and abuse. My toys are just the opposite and meant to bring a little joy and beauty into a world that’s painfully short on both :)

With everything but my hobbies all I care about is functionality, it just has to keep working under heavy use and abuse. My toys are just the opposite and meant to bring a little joy and beauty into a world that’s painfully short on both :)

With everything guitar-related, all I care about is functionality: it just has to keep working under heavy use and abuse. My guitars and gear are not toys. If they don't work all the time, every time, then I fail to bring a little joy and beauty into a world that’s painfully short on both.

...executives making 500k are mainly who I was referring to.

Which part triggers you more, their title or their income?

This thread was not meant to be a "troll" thread. So please quit referring to it as such.

i-RWCVHPL-L.png

eh... Now that they are within reach for me... I have no need. Coulda been 10 yrs ago and then I would have been interested. I like many others have learned how to manage my money well and could if I wanted to. Lot a good a 5 grand guitar is gonna do me on the couch anyway..;-)

For me it’s more about the personal challenge than the details. It’s not about wanting something expensive, it’s about setting a goal that requires work and sacrifice to achieve. The sacrifices I end up making are those which need to be sacrificed, but wouldn’t be with just a whip and no carrot.

There’s nothing wrong with having good taste. Just because we’re just heavily penalized for it at the cash register doesn’t make it a bad thing. Granted it would take much less effort to adjust my taste to my wallet, but I like the challenge and don’t have to lower my standards just because I’m not rich.

Fine. All that is good. I'm not sure why you quoted my post, but since you did, there is now a tacit implication that I have lowered my standards, or that my standards are lower anyway. I want to make it clear now that that is not the case. Expensive does not necessarily mean better. I hope were straight.

Back