USA 509: Anyone own one who can give a quick review of it?

Hi there, I'm seriously considering getting one of the core PRS models. Unfortunately I'm not in a situation where there is much chance I'll be able to try before I buy. So it's more of a situation of buying from someplace online that has a rock solid return/exchange policy.

I'm really interested in the PRS 509. I'm attracted to the flexibility it would offer. I have a good Stratocaster, so while I like the appeal of getting that sort of tone out of the 509 I'm actually more concerned with the humbucking tones.I haven't seen a lot of people commenting much on the humbucking tones. Is that because it's just a given that the humbucking tones are good or is it that this guitar's focus is more in the Strat/Tele sounds it has to offer and the humbucking tones are just so-so?

Last edited:
With the addition of a push/pull, you can bump the 509 up to 13 or 17 combos.

The demos I've seen aren't Stratty enough for me in the split positions. I'd love to hear one with an ash body and maple neck, though.

LOVE my swamp ash body/maple neck 509 even more than the one I had before!

Most versatile guitar I own!

50673285_10213574904270970_5710392258231009280_n.jpg

45412328_10213019064295318_4886949737988620288_n.jpg

45563389_10213019063575300_2811291665598251008_n.jpg

45306509_10213019062255267_7819545870029815808_n.jpg

Hi there, I'm seriously considering getting one of the core PRS models. Unfortunately I'm not in a situation where there is much chance I'll be able to try before I buy. So it's more of a situation of buying from someplace online that has a rock solid return/exchange policy.

I'm really interested in the PRS 509. I'm attracted to the flexibility it would offer. I have a good Stratocaster, so while I like the appeal of getting that sort of tone out of the 509 I'm actually more concerned with the humbucking tones.I haven't seen a lot of people commenting much on the humbucking tones. Is that because it's just a given that the humbucking tones are good or is it that this guitar's focus is more in the Strat/Tele sounds it has to offer and the humbucking tones are just so-so?

I'll just leave this video for you to watch

As you will hear, this demo does a LOT of Humbucker usage on a wide variety of musical genres which highlight its versatility and 'strength' as a Humbucking guitar.

I think a lot of the focus on the SC sound is perhaps down to the fact that PRS haven't really been known for their SC guitars. I also think that a lot take the 'humbucking' quality as a given and want to know whether this guitar can actually do a decent SC option, that when they do 'split' the coils that it can rival a tele/strat. A lot here may well own double humbucking guitars too - like the Custom 22/24 and wondering whether this offers the SC sounds that they maybe 'missing' in their collection.

I do have a 509 myself and whilst mine (I'll leave a picture below so you can see it) looks similar, this isn't my video. If, after watching, you still have questions about its Humbucking (or SC) functionality, watch the video again and, if that doesn't convince you, feel free to ask what more information you need. I am certain this video will answer your questions though...

BJ3Om6e.jpg

The 509 humbucker sound has a quality like a 57/08 in that it is clear and articulate. Voicing is more in line with a telecaster sound on the bridge and a strat on a neck rather than an LP. That being said, the neck humbucker heads off in more of an ES-335 direction rather than a strat direction specifically in production models. The bridge humbucker sounds like a really fat Tele in that growls and has the ballsy tone of a tele, but a much fuller tone than the singlecoils. The production choice of a maple capped mahogany body coupled with a mahogany neck and a rosewood fretboard tends to make the notes bloom more than what you'd get from a Strat.

The Swamp Ash ones are brighter as one would expect and closer to more of a 50's tone.

Last edited:
I'll just leave this video for you to watch

As you will hear, this demo does a LOT of Humbucker usage on a wide variety of musical genres which highlight its versatility and 'strength' as a Humbucking guitar.

I think a lot of the focus on the SC sound is perhaps down to the fact that PRS haven't really been known for their SC guitars. I also think that a lot take the 'humbucking' quality as a given and want to know whether this guitar can actually do a decent SC option, that when they do 'split' the coils that it can rival a tele/strat. A lot here may well own double humbucking guitars too - like the Custom 22/24 and wondering whether this offers the SC sounds that they maybe 'missing' in their collection.

I do have a 509 myself and whilst mine (I'll leave a picture below so you can see it) looks similar, this isn't my video. If, after watching, you still have questions about its Humbucking (or SC) functionality, watch the video again and, if that doesn't convince you, feel free to ask what more information you need. I am certain this video will answer your questions though...

BJ3Om6e.jpg

I hadn't come across that video yet. That was really impressive. I know there is no substitute for trying a guitar out on your own gear but there are some truly amazing humbucker sounds there. Thanks very much for bringing that to my attention and for sharing your insights. I'm pretty well sold with respect to it's tonal abilities.

Also that's a beautiful shot of your 509!

One more quick question... The 509's do NOT use active electronics correct?

Well, that sucks. I think my research on this was all for nothing.

I'd thought that import restrictions on rosewood neck guitars had been dropped recently but it's still a thing apparently. No one in Canada has what I want so I'd need to order from the States and it starting to sound like the best they will do is ship to a Walgreens near the border for me to carry it in back into Canada. I'm just a ferry ride away from a Walgreens but that's a pretty risky proposition. I THINK I'd need some export permit and problem something on the import side of things to. It sounds like people do it but I can just imagine all the things that can go wrong.

Sigh...

I'd thought that import restrictions on rosewood neck guitars had been dropped recently but it's still a thing apparently. No one in Canada has what I want so I'd need to order from the States and it starting to sound like the best they will do is ship to a Walgreens near the border for me to carry it in back into Canada. I'm just a ferry ride away from a Walgreens but that's a pretty risky proposition. I THINK I'd need some export permit and problem something on the import side of things to. It sounds like people do it but I can just imagine all the things that can go wrong.

Sigh...

You can always ask a Canadian retailer who is a PRS Dealer if they can find a 509 for you, ask their Rep if they know of any in Canada and if so could they get one in for you. You may have to accept any colour or, if you want one in a specific finish, it could be ordered but that could take months. Reverb may be an option to locate one in Canada too. I am in the UK myself so can't give you any advice on which retailers can be the best and most helpful.

Import restrictions are in place as far as I know but PRS are very good with their paperwork from what I understand.

Sigh...

You can carry personal property without needing CITES paperwork. It's been done by several forum brothers and sisters. Ok, at least 4 that I recall posting about it. Not sure if that counts as "several".

You can carry personal property without needing CITES paperwork. It's been done by several forum brothers and sisters. Ok, at least 4 that I recall posting about it. Not sure if that counts as "several".
Yes, a Canadian can carry their guitar into Canada without any special paperwork. So can a US citizen as long as they don’t have a gun with rosewood parts.

Back