US Lampshade knobs now fit newer SE?

FunkyFreeman

Moo Panuwat
Hi all. I recently found something interesting. Some of my friends fitted PRS Lampshade knobs on their SE Customs. All four guitars are 2019 model and were made by both Indonesian and Korean plants. They told me those US knobs were retrofitted to their guitars - no mods were done!

I think it’s weird because US and SE knobs aren’t interchangeable due to difference in pot shaft types (fine VS coarse splines). I myself can confirm this as I experimented fitting a Lampshade knob from my Modern Eagle to my SE SVN and I couldn’t make it. Also, on PRS accessories page, the description of Lampshade still remains the same “fit all USA made PRS guitars”.

So obviously those four SE guitars came with fine spline as USA made models. I don’t realize PRS has stated this specs change before, and not sure if this change applied to all 2019 and newer SE guitars.

I wrote an email to PRS, but don’t see a reply.

Can someone shade some light on this?

Let’s see the evidences.

s30S0nv.jpg

tiyj9Ay.jpg

jtf78Ci.jpg

No need for a screwdriver on my ‘16 SE Std22. They slid on the shafts without any complaints.

They will either fit perfectly or you can put just a small piece of tape around the stem. I can't abide speed knobs.

that's awesome. i just got the hollowbody standard and man it's pretty awesome. beautiful build quality. lampshade amber is on the way. i think it's gonna look good on it.
by the way. I'm looking to sell my zach myer 2020 trampa green. it has graph tech ratio locking tuners upgrade, Schaller lock strap. anyone interest let me know. im from Buffalo NY.

I wish I could take this photo back in time to 2005 or so, back when SEs were still relatively primitive and didn't get much respect.
They still don’t from some elements on here. Oh well. They say ignorance is bliss, so they must be some of the happiest SOBs on the planet!

That guitar looks sick AF, and those lampshades compliment it really nicely.

Been doing this since the lampshade's became a aftermarket part. Out of the 14 SE's I've owned (ranging from 2010 to 2017 models) 10 of them have ended up with Lampshades before any other mods. It's always the first mod I do to see what direction the other mods will go.

Last edited:
Back