US Core Strap Buttons

I always store guitars in the case, and I always use a strap. All my non-acoustic guitars get strap locks. I don’t understand the use of the bass string tree since most straps are too thick to fit under it. I tried using it, didn’t make sense cutting the slot in the strap wider to fit over it, or having to take the screw out which would make it non-removable. I agree, it is the only thing I think Paul got wrong.

Yep, same here. If you store it in the case it’s a PITA.

I love the PRS buttons.

Funny thing is I forgot my strap at a gig one day and a guitarist had a spare PRS strap....the black one with the white signature on it and leather ends.....When I tried to use it, it didn't fit on my PRS. The leather was too thick to fit underneath the strap button. It fit fine on his SE. To add to the pain I already had the exact strap on order...and now I knew I couldn't use it.

I use those colored Ernie Ball straps mostly on everything. The PRS buttons stay planted pretty well on those with the EB straps. Also there are not metal parts to ding your PRS if you accidently swing the clip into the body....which is the MOST important part for me. I'm clumsy.

Also there are not metal parts to ding your PRS if you accidently swing the clip into the body....which is the MOST important part for me. I'm clumsy.

I’ve heard this concern expressed before. I have Schallers on almost every guitar I own. I’ve taken straps on and off thousands of times, and I’ve never come close to dinging or scratching an instrument in that manner.* I admit that I’m careful, but it’s also not that hard to do, and it’s much faster (and I’d defend safer) than using the original PRS buttons.

*Maybe I should knock on wood (maple or mahogany).

I’ve heard this concern expressed before. I have Schallers on almost every guitar I own. I’ve taken straps on and off thousands of times, and I’ve never come close to dinging or scratching an instrument in that manner.* I admit that I’m careful, but it’s also not that hard to do, and it’s much faster (and I’d defend safer) than using the original PRS buttons.

*Maybe I should knock on wood (maple or mahogany).

The Schaller locks are perfectly designed for putting dents in tops. Think about it: a heavy little pendulum swinging from the end of a strap with that little ball-shaped knob on it. I dinged up two tops with those little f!?kers (one a Modern Eagle) before I learned my lesson and got super-careful with them.

Guy I want to buy Schaller strap lock on my PRS SE custom 24 , does it fit ? Does it need drilling?

OK folks here is the difference of the new core strap buttons versus old. New one is on the left from my new 2021 HBII. One on the right was from my MEV’s 2020.

Vr8UGf7.jpg
dJYxJ4O.jpg

Guy I want to buy Schaller strap lock on my PRS SE custom 24 , does it fit ? Does it need drilling?

The new Schaller S-Lock buttons have an integrated larger screw and it's larger than the previous version. You may have to drill a larger hole. Or you can look for the Fender strap locks, which are just the older version of Schaller. Although, you'll have to use a little thread locker to keep it from unscrewing. The S-Locks have a set screw to keep it from unscrewing.

Note that the shaft is longer on the new style (bottom one)

ure1UQ4.jpg
Damn, all 3 of my 2021 gits must have been using up the last of the old hardware because they all have the old ones! Sure could use that extra length, getting some of my straps on can be a chore and that extra 1/8 inch or so would help!! I know, move to Schalers!!!

Damn, all 3 of my 2021 gits must have been using up the last of the old hardware because they all have the old ones! Sure could use that extra length, getting some of my straps on can be a chore and that extra 1/8 inch or so would help!! I know, move to Schalers!!!

Keep in mind although my new HBII has 2021 s/n it arrived at the store in January like three days before I purchased it and purchased it a little over a week ago so it is a late 2021 guitar.

The new Schaller S-Lock buttons have an integrated larger screw and it's larger than the previous version. You may have to drill a larger hole. Or you can look for the Fender strap locks, which are just the older version of Schaller. Although, you'll have to use a little thread locker to keep it from unscrewing. The S-Locks have a set screw to keep it from unscrewing.
I was able to get all of my S locks installed with no additional drilling.

Back