Urge to Purge

Markets are cyclical. Inflation matters too - we’ve had a low rate of inflation for some time now, odds are it will go back up. So one needs to think about this question in terms of real versus nominal fiat dollars :) plus the more relevant supply and demand dynamics during the time window of selling an instrument.

I’ve been forced out of the work force for the past 2 years due to my chronic illness which just flared up again after some modest improvement in symptoms. Just started working with a new group of doctors after the challenging move.

I’m now thinking of selling my McManus acoustic and Pernambuco guitar in addition to the ME I SCT and Knaggs I’ve dragged my feet on selling for 2 years. I love them all, but I haven’t really been able to play much for 3 years now. Reality can be harsh!

So sorry to hear this. I hope things are looking up for you soon.

I believe that everything you say makes sense, your words, your thoughts are wise, I realize that I am not yet wise! or just haven't made it there In my life, maybe someday. your questions made me think and I tested to see if I could sell some and mmmm she still has all their place, come to think of the place, I still have a lot ...! to the great misfortune of my so sweet and very understandable wife, thank you darling!
more seriously if I come one day to do a purge I will choose the one that emotionally gives me nothing, not yet arrived this day!

guitars are tools. some are used frequently like my favorite 8-inch #2 Phillips-head screwdriver. others are necessary, albeit rarely used, like that wacky basin wrench. some are just shields hanging in the armory because i might need them some day... and they look hella cool. as i rapidly approach the RV phase i keep asking myself how many of them i'll really need, and i keep coming up with "all of them because i'm not done using them" :rolleyes:

guitars are tools. some are used frequently like my favorite 8-inch #2 Phillips-head screwdriver. others are necessary, albeit rarely used, like that wacky basin wrench. some are just shields hanging in the armory because i might need them some day... and they look hella cool. as i rapidly approach the RV phase i keep asking myself how many of them i'll really need, and i keep coming up with "all of them because i'm not done using them" :rolleyes:

You sound a bit like my father. When he retired, he called me and my brother-in-law and told us to come up the house and pick what tools we wanted because he was "getting rid of a bunch of this junk". My wife said to get stuff to put together a toolbox for my son, and that there were a couple things she could use. Got it.

We got to the house, went down to the basement. My dad said, "Pick what you want." I said, "What can we pick from?" He said, "All of it." So I looked around, found a Dremel or something, and said, "What about this?" "No, I'm gonna keep that." My brother-in-law found something - "Nope, I still use that." After about five minutes of this, I said "Really, what can we pick from?" He said, "All of it." I said, "I don't think that means what you think it means." He still has about 90% of that stuff - 20 years later. I'm trying to convince him to donate it to a charity.

My father-in-law was just as bad. When he died, we found tons of duplicate tools, a bunch unopened. I asked my mother-in-law why he bought so many duplicates - "So he could have a set in the garage, a set at the work desk, a set on the work bench. And some he just didn't know he had."

You sound a bit like my father. When he retired, he called me and my brother-in-law and told us to come up the house and pick what tools we wanted because he was "getting rid of a bunch of this junk". My wife said to get stuff to put together a toolbox for my son, and that there were a couple things she could use. Got it.

We got to the house, went down to the basement. My dad said, "Pick what you want." I said, "What can we pick from?" He said, "All of it." So I looked around, found a Dremel or something, and said, "What about this?" "No, I'm gonna keep that." My brother-in-law found something - "Nope, I still use that." After about five minutes of this, I said "Really, what can we pick from?" He said, "All of it." I said, "I don't think that means what you think it means." He still has about 90% of that stuff - 20 years later. I'm trying to convince him to donate it to a charity.

My father-in-law was just as bad. When he died, we found tons of duplicate tools, a bunch unopened. I asked my mother-in-law why he bought so many duplicates - "So he could have a set in the garage, a set at the work desk, a set on the work bench. And some he just didn't know he had."

:D:D:D:D:D

The right guitar will always find the buyer. I have a core group of guitars that I've had for years, and I can't imagine selling. Some of the Johnny-come-lately guitars could fall on the chopping block at any given moment.

So I had convinced myself to part with a couple guitars, particularly an acoustic which was, by far, the most I've paid for a guitar. (From what I've seen it's worth a fair bit more than I paid for it now). It's a spectacular guitar, I just figured I would be fine with my more modest acoustic. But I played it, and dang, I'd forgotten how good it is.

So now I'm thinking maybe I should keep it, the PRS Mira, and sell everything else. I don't think any of the others have quite the demand nor value, though.

I could sell my tenor sax, as I haven't played it in a long time and it's now worth quite a bit. But I've never been able to convince myself to part with it. Blowing into it was my main life focus for a few years.

So I had convinced myself to part with a couple guitars, particularly an acoustic which was, by far, the most I've paid for a guitar. (From what I've seen it's worth a fair bit more than I paid for it now). It's a spectacular guitar, I just figured I would be fine with my more modest acoustic. But I played it, and dang, I'd forgotten how good it is.

So now I'm thinking maybe I should keep it, the PRS Mira, and sell everything else. I don't think any of the others have quite the demand nor value, though.

I could sell my tenor sax, as I haven't played it in a long time and it's now worth quite a bit. But I've never been able to convince myself to part with it. Blowing into it was my main life focus for a few years.
I convinced my parents to let me sell my alto sax for my first guitar when I was 16. Best decision ever!

To sell or not to sell. That is the question.

Me: "No it isn't!"
Also Me: "Yes, it is!"
Me: "Yeah... you're talking to yourself man. That’s Les' schtick."
Also Me: "Whoops, sorry Les."

There are a plethora of threads out there with guys talk about the inevitable 'urge-to-purge' that goes with pre-retirement planning. I'd say that horse is dead. But I am not near retirement and I don't want to spend the next 15-20 years without a pile of guitars to enjoy. At the same time, I don't want to find myself sitting on a pile of guitars I can't sell (in 15-20 years) when I'm ready for RV life.

What I want to know is whether we think the guitar market will be this hot in 15-20 years. I don't think it will be.

What say you.
And here I thought you were going to sell a guitar to get a year's worth of tires for the Nurburgring.

I think you have a bunch stuff that isn’t that common. I don’t think the more rare guitars will lose value. If you actually have some that are “run of the mill”, maybe those are the ones that don’t hold. You have a bunch of rare guitars though.

I convinced my parents to let me sell my alto sax for my first guitar when I was 16. Best decision ever!
I tried something similar, and even earlier wanted guitar lessons but was told no. Maybe my dad didn't want me touching his guitars. But I showed promise somehow, so the school loaned me a clarinet, and I went from there. Still didn't get lessons until college.

Ah, the life that could have been. I got to learn a lot of groovy jazz lingo and hang with the jazz cats and hip-chicks for a while, though.

But, will you wall hang the guitars in the RV?

Back