Upgrading tuners on SE 245

graham

Hi everyone, hope your all safe.

I purchased my PRS in March and love it BUT it wont stay in tune on the G and B, doing even a half bend on the B and I can actually see the machine head move. Its the only disappointment I have with the guitar, have to tune it every couple minutes while playing. Was considering returning it (and going back to Fender) but this is the nicest guitar to play, sounds great (when in tune!) and doesn't seem to be a common issue so I guess I was just unlucky with this one.
So I'm looking at locking tuners, I live fairly remotely and getting hold of the PRS locking tuners seems to be long wait. Are there any alternative tuners that would be a straight drop in, really don't want to start making modifications to guitar.

Thanks for any advice
Graham

Congratulations and welcome. Try looking at adjusting/changing the nut first.

The strings may be binding on the slot.

Congratulations and welcome. Try looking at adjusting/changing the nut first.

The strings may be binding on the slot.
Thanks for quick reply, have wondered that but the slots seems quite wider than I normally see on a electric guitar and been able to see the machine move when I bend the B makes me think its the tuners. Do you have recommendations on nut replacements - thanks

Is the tuner loose? That should be the only reason for it to move. Just turn the nut until it doesn't move. The first thing I do when I buy a used guitar is tighten down all the screws. You wouldn't believe how often the tuners are simply loose. Check them all. The fact that the nut slots "look wider than most" doesn't mean that they're correctly cut, especially if you changed the string gauge. Tighten the tuners [ all of them] and let us know how it works.

Is the tuner loose? That should be the only reason for it to move. Just turn the nut until it doesn't move. The first thing I do when I buy a used guitar is tighten down all the screws. You wouldn't believe how often the tuners are simply loose. Check them all. The fact that the nut slots "look wider than most" doesn't mean that they're correctly cut, especially if you changed the string gauge. Tighten the tuners [ all of them] and let us know how it works.
Thanks for info, I will check every thing and let you know. Also I haven't changed the string gauge, infact I'm still on original strings, I don't 'burn' through them as quick as many and also clean them everyday. I'm off work for the next couple of weeks and was thinking of trying 10's instead of the 9's, thanks again

Stick with the 9's if you like the sound. The 10's will probably bind in the nut, and there may be some other adjustments necessary.

Thanks for quick reply, have wondered that but the slots seems quite wider than I normally see on a electric guitar and been able to see the machine move when I bend the B makes me think its the tuners. Do you have recommendations on nut replacements - thanks

PRS core nut is a common upgrade for a lot of the people here.

You could also try PRS ACC-4522. SE nut, made from same proprietary material as core nut.

I replaced the stock nut on my SE Custom 24 with the GraphTech Tusq nut and all tuning instability disappeared.

Thanks for all the feed back everyone. Restrung guitar and took opportunity to check machine heads were tight and also noticed the nut was binding on the G and B, gently filed the nut and made sure tuners were nice and tight and so far so good, couple days playing and staying in tune. I was surprised how much play in the tuners and the difference between them, one was only finger tight. If the problem returns I'll probably look into changing the nut it seems to be quite a common upgrade.

Thanks again

Last edited:
Back