Upgrading Nut on Tremonti SE... should I 'upsize' the strings?

JimmyDee

Hi Folks,
Earlier this week, I posted about the 2018 Tremonti SE that I've ordered.
https://forums.prsguitars.com/threads/ive-got-the-fever.28255/

In addition to the guitar, I've basically also ordered every part to upgrade it to a US model.
I realize it's still not going to be a US Tremonti... but that's not what I'm going for. This is more of a 'project guitar' for me...

At any rate, the real point here is;
In addition to installing a 2000NOS bridge, I will also be changing the nut on the SE for a new TUSQ XL or an American PRS one (I've ordered one of each and will try them both to see which one I like better).

What I'm wondering is; should I install 10/46 strings on the new bridge and nut (per US spec), or should I stick with 9/42 strings (per Korean SE spec)?

I’d personally order the nut for the gauge of I strings I prefer.

Ya, I hear you... the nut comes pre-cut for a 9/42 string, and you file it out if you want a bigger string.

I'm actually building this guitar for my kid (who is 11). My logic is that, he is used to playing on 9/42 strings, so I may stick with them.
Up until last week, I had always played on 9/42's as well... but when my new PRS CE arrived with 10/46's, I REALLY like them!

I personally prefer the sound of a 10/46 string... but I think the 9's will be better for the kid.

Ya, I hear you... the nut comes pre-cut for a 9/42 string, and you file it out if you want a bigger string.

I'm actually building this guitar for my kid (who is 11). My logic is that, he is used to playing on 9/42 strings, so I may stick with them.
Up until last week, I had always played on 9/42's as well... but when my new PRS CE arrived with 10/46's, I REALLY like them!

I personally prefer the sound of a 10/46 string... but I think the 9's will be better for the kid.

You're being too soft on him! My dad made me play .12's, with a wound G, uphill, and in the snow! :p

You're being too soft on him! My dad made me play .12's, with a wound G, uphill, and in the snow! :p

Luxury.

Our dad strung our guitars with all A and low E strings from .13 sets, tuned *up* a step and a half, and made us play barefoot for 37 hours a day, starting two hours before we went to to bed each night. And if we made a mistake, we'd have to start from the beginning all over again.

I still have my dads old Gibson acoustic and its STILL the stiffest playing guitar I’ve ever played. Even with lowered action. Sounds good though.

Let him play 9’s! For holy crap sake. Let him play 9s at least til hes 15 or so. If he sticks with it, by then he’ll know if he’s ready to go up a gauge.

Back