UPGRADED: WL EXPERIENCE 2018 SPECIAL SEMI-HOLLOW...

I just got done playing this again through the Mercury V. The Special SH is one of the most versatile guitars I have ever played. The mixture of covered 58/15MTs and the uncovered NF middle pickup is a potent recipe. This guitar has pure humbucker tone in positions 1 and 5. It's buttery smooth with a nice openness with the semi-hollow korina body. Position 3 is a fabulous middle position, taking it into stellar rhythm guitar territory. Then flick it into position 2 for a serving of twang-escent harmonics. Or pull it into 4 for a rounder, more articulate punch. The possibilities are vast, and the tonality is so unique, I find myself playing even my normal riffs and practice themes in a whole new voicing, it's really a lot of fun. And it sounds SUPERB.

UPGRADED. CURLY MAPLE PICKUP RINGS AND TUNER BUTTONS. THE BLACK LOOKED GREAT. THIS LOOKS BETTER.
maple%2Brings2.jpg

maple%2Brings%2B3.jpg

maple%2Brings.jpg

Did you reverse your neck pickup on purpose? Curious of the sound variation.
Definitely an accident. I’m not sure I would have caught that had you not mentioned it. Not sure if I noticed tone wise either, but I may test it a bit before returning it to the correct orientation.

That's sweet... I wonder how this would look with some Cocobolo pickup rings I found... but in Germany... oucho...
38658480_10212440813999422_9076173126684901376_o.jpg

img_0576.jpg

Or these flamed maples...
img_0822.jpg

What you have is common on my PRS with two pickups.
True, but for some reason the Special SH is designed with both humbuckers “pointing south”. I haven't found the reason why, but I’m certain it must have mostly to do with the 2 and 4 positions.

So when I screwed the neck pickup in place after putting the ring on (strongest springs I've seen on a pickup, by the way), I oriented it backwards with the poles pointed north, just like you'd expect on a two humbucker guitar. It sounds pretty darn good like that, but I'm uncertain whether I'll be missing out on the original setup. When the 58/15 MT splits, it's the pole-piece coil that stays alive, correct? The phase would be the same in either pickup orientation, but the split position would be different as well as the position 4 sound, being a little further away. I must say it sounds killer as it is now. I might leave it the way it is and then switch it when I change strings.

That's sweet... I wonder how this would look with some Cocobolo pickup rings I found... but in Germany... oucho...
38658480_10212440813999422_9076173126684901376_o.jpg

img_0576.jpg

Or these flamed maples...
img_0822.jpg

Could you PM me with the site in Germany please?

So when I screwed the neck pickup in place after putting the ring on (strongest springs I've seen on a pickup, by the way), I oriented it backwards with the poles pointed north, just like you'd expect on a two humbucker guitar. It sounds pretty darn good like that, but I'm uncertain whether I'll be missing out on the original setup. When the 58/15 MT splits, it's the pole-piece coil that stays alive, correct? The phase would be the same in either pickup orientation, but the split position would be different as well as the position 4 sound, being a little further away. I must say it sounds killer as it is now. I might leave it the way it is and then switch it when I change strings.

A Peter Green PRS!

Back