Upgrade or New

DenBaker

I have an ESP LTD EC1000 Les Paul style with EMG's and after getting an SE Custom 24, the actives sound really bad in comparison...no harmonics, no depth, harsh. Was thinking of redoing the old guitar with Dimarzio passives, but the total would be around $200. Do you think it's worth upgrading or putting the $200 toward a new guitar like an SE245? Would Dimarzio's sound even better than stock PRS SE's?

I've always loved passive's over active's. They sound more organic and alive. Sounding better is all relative, though. I changed out the stock pickup in my Singlecut SE to a Seymour Duncan. Now the stock pickup didn't sound bad, I just wanted something different. It's all up to you. As far as the money goes, expect to pay a couple hundred bucks on new pickups if you want something good. Dimarzio, duncan, EMG, etc all run about $100 a pop. Totally worth it if you ask me especially if you're not satisfied with your actives. Now I'm also going to say (no bias I swear) I would buy a PRS over a LTD any day, but that's me.

I would go with the PRS SE 245. You'll be getting more than just better pickups. You'll also be getting better build quality, wiring, tone and volume pots, nut, etc. That is unless you've already replaced all of these items on your ESP. Plus the thick tone you get out of the new Se 245s and their thicker bodies is amazing.

Thanks for the opinions. Looks like I'll just put the $200 toward an SE245. There may be a time when I want to mess around with the actives, and I'd have to butcher the old guitar with new pups, pots, caps, jack and a hole to ground the bridge. Another PRS on my shopping list....

Back