Updating tuners

Tucson Thump

Mint Heavy Relic
I know the original winged locking tuners can't be directly replaced with newer locking tuners ( unless modified, as per the sticky) but it started me thinking.

Say you have a PRS model like a McCarty that doesn't come with locking tuners.
Will Phase II or Phase III tuners fit a McCarty headstock without extra drilling?

Maybe PIII's? Not sure if the ferrule's are the same size or not. I think half the allure of the Klusen-types are their light weight so... I'd probably leave 'em on a Mac.

I'm going to say typically not. I have a SC Ted that had Vintage tuners. I wanted to put Phase III's on it, but the collars are a different diameter. I couldn't get the old collars out so I ended up installing Vintage Kluson Locking tuners. They're ok, but I would have preferred Phase III's.

All things considered, I would yank Vinatge tuners in favor of locking, regardless of drilling needed. Just cuz I'm that lazy.

The mounting holes line up close enough to work with phase iii's, but you do have to enlarge the tuner hole to get the ferrules to fit. I made the swap on a core Starla and an SE Zach Myers.

Back