Updated family photos...

markd21

So, recently my wife got into vlogging. After doing extensive research, she decide she HAD to have a Canon G7X camera. It has been really useful for her needs. Well, the "Singlecut Gallery" thread gave me an opportunity to use that G7 to snap some fresh pics.

While I already posted the Singlecuts over in that thread, I'll be posting them again - and with more pictures (which is always fun, right??).

Up first is my battered Custom 22. It's a 2008, with a 10-top Quilt, Dragon IIs and abalone old-school birds. This is just a great guitar. It's worn-in to the point where paint on the neck is wearing to the wood. The previous owner "satinized" the neck, and I have gigged it enough to where it's wearing through.

8 by mark denman, on Flickr

My McCarty....ah, what a guitar. This is the one I ordered from Colorado, took out of the box and drove straight to a gig....using this as my ONLY guitar for the show. I go back and forth on the green - some days I LOVE it, others not so much so. It's a GREAT stage guitar though. People ALWAYS react to it - which is a good thing!!

This "version" is an MC58 in Eriza Verde. It has the shell birds, outlined with pearl. The fret board is DARK, and it has 57/08s. This sucker RIPS!!!!

Up next is my P22. I have literally played this guitar 5 times. It is the ONLY one I bought new. It is violet with a 10-top quilt. The birds are interesting (to me) - they are a type of pearl, surrounded by ivory (or corian?). Never seen them like that...I am sure they're out there, but I have never seen them. Again, this sucker has the 57/08s - my FAVORITE pickup of all time!! For whatever reason, I just don't play this one. I used for one out-of-town run, and it was KILLER....but.....

Anyway, here are pics!!

Love love LOVE my P22!
It has been my work horse for the last two years. The rosie neck is to die for, and the versatility is second to none.
Gig it dude!
My recently acquired Silver Sky has gotten all of the attention over the last three weeks, but the P22 is killer.

Up next is my P22. I have literally played this guitar 5 times. It is the ONLY one I bought new. It is violet with a 10-top quilt. The birds are interesting (to me) - they are a type of pearl, surrounded by ivory (or corian?). Never seen them like that...I am sure they're out there, but I have never seen them. Again, this sucker has the 57/08s - my FAVORITE pickup of all time!! For whatever reason, I just don't play this one. I used for one out-of-town run, and it was KILLER....but.....

Anyway, here are pics!!

I love that top!

The inlays are abalone and corian. That's actually the normal inlay on most Core models from the last several years.

I love that top!

The inlays are abalone and corian. That's actually the normal inlay on most Core models from the last several years.

Cool!! Good to know. I like how PRS has all the different variations of the birds over the years. I usually buy used - you can get SOOO much for your dollar....plus NONE of my local shops carry anything but SE anymore.

Great pics! Camera does the fiddles serious justice (not that they need it!). I'm with Dave....I wanna see that neck!

Two for the neck?? Ok - I'll bust it back out tonight and show, lol!!

Moving on to MORE!!!! I am a BIG fan of the metallic finished S2s. My second PRS was this Standard 22 in Champagne Gold. It is a WONDERFUL guitar. I ended up modifying it, though. Originally I bought a second STD22 to put Fralin Twangmaster pickups in. Well, it turned out THAT guitar was pure magic when it came to writing music - the songs just flow from it. SO, instead - and with much back-n-forth - I decided to put the pups in the gold one....

After swapping ALL the electronics for Emerson Custom 250K pots and an Oak Grigsby switch, I got the Fralins installed. Sadly, I HATED them. I spent the better part of a week balancing the height, tweaking amps, manipulating tone caps. They just weren't my thing. I knew I wanted single coils, so I figured since $320 Fralins were terrible, I'd try the opposite end of the spectrum. I ordered a pair of GFS Surf 90s. Installed them - and....the guitar sounds AMAZING!!!!!! Way nicer "twang" and growl than the Fralin pickups, at less than 1/3 the price. Plus, they look kind of cool in the gold guitar with a white pickguard....

This guitar is giving me something tonally that is right between a strat and a Gretsch. Tomorrow I get together with Samantha again (the singer/songwriter chick that is PICKY about tone). I am hoping she finds the tone pleasing enough for her new batch of songs. I am digging the sound - MUCH more mellow and "soft" than the Esquire or Duo Jet when using both pickups.

Two for the neck?? Ok - I'll bust it back out tonight and show, lol!!

Moving on to MORE!!!! I am a BIG fan of the metallic finished S2s. My second PRS was this Standard 22 in Champagne Gold. It is a WONDERFUL guitar. I ended up modifying it, though. Originally I bought a second STD22 to put Fralin Twangmaster pickups in. Well, it turned out THAT guitar was pure magic when it came to writing music - the songs just flow from it. SO, instead - and with much back-n-forth - I decided to put the pups in the gold one....

After swapping ALL the electronics for Emerson Custom 250K pots and an Oak Grigsby switch, I got the Fralins installed. Sadly, I HATED them. I spent the better part of a week balancing the height, tweaking amps, manipulating tone caps. They just weren't my thing. I knew I wanted single coils, so I figured since $320 Fralins were terrible, I'd try the opposite end of the spectrum. I ordered a pair of GFS Surf 90s. Installed them - and....the guitar sounds AMAZING!!!!!! Way nicer "twang" and growl than the Fralin pickups, at less than 1/3 the price. Plus, they look kind of cool in the gold guitar with a white pickguard....

This guitar is giving me something tonally that is right between a strat and a Gretsch. Tomorrow I get together with Samantha again (the singer/songwriter chick that is PICKY about tone). I am hoping she finds the tone pleasing enough for her new batch of songs. I am digging the sound - MUCH more mellow and "soft" than the Esquire or Duo Jet when using both pickups.

Big fan of the gold sparkle. Those pickups look perfect in that guitar!

Here's a BEAST!!!! If you have not had the pleasure of playing one of these - DO IT!!!! The tones...the feel...the ergonomics for switching...SO well executed. But, I guess that would be the case since it is:

PAUL'S GUITAR!!!!

This is "Faded" Vintage Yellow - what does that mean? It's less orange? This thing is YELLOW if there ever was yellow. I dig that it has the "red" back. Reminds me of the OLD PRS guitars I used to see....the yellow ones were always my favorite.

This SC245 was like a Holy Grail when I got it. It was at GC, priced VERY right. At the time a close friend of mine was a manager over there, so what we'd do is peruse the site, look the guitars up in the system and have the KILLER ones that were bought in really cheap sent over for me to check out. This was one of the first GEMS that happened that way....

I had been looking at LP-style guitars because when I joined my current band, the dude I replaced was a total Blackmore clone. I wanted to be something TOTALLY different. When I auditioned for them I used the Musicman Albert Lee, but they weren't fans of it OR the St. Vincent I had just gotten. They liked the sound, but HATED the looks. I didn't want to use Jacksons because they were too close to the other guy. Long story short, I ended up with an S2 SC STD. Everyone loved it....

Then I decided it was time to "upgrade" to a KILLER PRS Singlecut. All I knew was that I wanted a Singlecut. Didn't care if it had two knobs or four. It had to have pretty wood and birds - that was IT, lol....

Well, this guitar arrived at the store right around Black Friday 2015. The price was BEYOND right, and everything about it was spectacular - the wood, the birds, the tone, the feel. It was just the PERFECT guitar at that time. I bought it and right away it became the main gigging guitar. My debut show with the band was done using this guitar. It almost got stolen once....luckily the dude was caught - and handled appropriately.

I was curious what the guitar actually was, so I called PRS with the SN. They told me it was one of the Limited Edition SC245 with 57/08 pickups. It should have a different truss rod cover, and the signed back plate is gone. They were super cool about letting me know none of that stuff could be replaced (I didn't think it could be, so no hard feelings). That was my first experience with CS, and it was great! This guitar and that phone interaction made me a fan for life!

Big fan of the gold sparkle. Those pickups look perfect in that guitar!

I LOVE the paint PRS uses for the metallic finishes- just 60's Hot Rod enough, while staying classy. The champagne gold is like a richer Shoreline Gold. About the pickups - yeah, these Surf 90s are like full-sized Dynasonics in appearance. I am really pleased considering how affordable they were. The guitar, itself, has taken on a whole different vibe - and gives me a different vibe when playing it. So, that little change has been beneficial in a lot of ways!

Here's a BEAST!!!! If you have not had the pleasure of playing one of these - DO IT!!!! The tones...the feel...the ergonomics for switching...SO well executed. But, I guess that would be the case since it is:

PAUL'S GUITAR!!!!

This is "Faded" Vintage Yellow - what does that mean? It's less orange? This thing is YELLOW if there ever was yellow. I dig that it has the "red" back. Reminds me of the OLD PRS guitars I used to see....the yellow ones were always my favorite.

Couldn't agree more with your take! I took a chance on a Surf Green PG that came up used, for a steal. I wasn't really sure what to expect. What I got is easily one of my favs, right behind the Santanas. Great guitar!

I LOVE the paint PRS uses for the metallic finishes- just 60's Hot Rod enough, while staying classy. The champagne gold is like a richer Shoreline Gold. About the pickups - yeah, these Surf 90s are like full-sized Dynasonics in appearance. I am really pleased considering how affordable they were. The guitar, itself, has taken on a whole different vibe - and gives me a different vibe when playing it. So, that little change has been beneficial in a lot of ways!

Those GFS pups are surprisingly nice. I bought a set of lipstick buckers from them thinking that the low cost would make them suitably “janky” sounding and was a little disappointed at how smooth and refined they are.

This is what I consider to be the MOST underrated guitar in the PRS line-up. I think this because I feel it can be unfairly overlooked because of the pickguard. Personally, I LOVE it!!!! Funny story.....

We did an East Coast run (nothing great, basically up I-95 from South FL to South GA) and I brought two guitars - an S2 SC STD and the SC245. At almost EVERY gig my guitars got attention. A lot was given to the SC245. A couple of older, non-player dudes thought it was a vintage guitar. But, the guitar that got the most attention - especially from younger guys in bands we were playing with - was the S2!! I remember the first show in Palm Bay, FL.....

I was packing my gear at the end of the night, and a 'kid' from the first band was standing there staring at my guitars on the rack. I asked if he wanted to see one. He nodded - my natural reaction was to grab the 245.....most people want to see the "pretty ones". As I was handing it to him, he went:

"OOHHHHH!!! NOOOOO!!! I want to see the blue one!!!! That one (245) is too flashy!!! I like the subtle look of that blue one. Why didn't you play THAT one???"

We talked about the S2. I let him strum around on it. He was THRILLED!! That ended up being the reaction from most younger players during that run.....kind of neat. Anyway, this is a replacement for that blue one. This started life as a Satin Aqua - I buffed it to a gloss because I don't like how satin feels.....

[/url

[url=https://flic.kr/p/24vA4zq]
[/url]

Couldn't agree more with your take! I took a chance on a Surf Green PG that came up used, for a steal. I wasn't really sure what to expect. What I got is easily one of my favs, right behind the Santanas. Great guitar!

Thank you for buying that one. I was 98% there - with blessing - to get it. I kept waffling. I have no regrets, and I am glad you dig it!!! It's a hottie. I LOVED how it is painted but still has the natural binding. Yours is SEXY!!!

Those GFS pups are surprisingly nice. I bought a set of lipstick buckers from them thinking that the low cost would make them suitably “janky” sounding and was a little disappointed at how smooth and refined they are.

Oh, totally. I have bought run-of-the-mill humbuckers from them to toss into Epiphones I was flipping - and was always pleased. But, I will admit to being a little snobby regarding using them in a "good" guitar. Shame on me. These are giving me EXACTLY what I wanted to hear. I may START there in the future (for odd-ball stuff....they seem to have a lot of it).

Back