Unsatisfied with volume and tone knob quality

I loved the Lampshades because they look classy, until last week when i was all sweaty and i tried to pull up on the tone knob to do split coil, total failure, could not grip it. Im gonna look for something that has some grip to it. The lampshade era on my guitars is over.
A while back, someone on this forum suggested searching for “vape bands” on Amazon. They are made of silicone, and while designed to fit a tank, they fit lampshade knobs perfectly and make pulls easy every time.

If you don't like the resistance of the PRS pots, you don't necessarily have to change the pots and loose the grat taper and audio quality in the process.

Just get yourself a couple of medium sized rubber O-ring sealing washers, pull the knobs, put the O-rings on the shafts and press the knobs on top. That will give you a decent amount of friction with the original pots.

If you dislike the lampshade knobs themselves...... well,....... there are many other styles out there. I personally would stick with original PRS parts though.

I did this to several of my stomp boxes and to my Strat volume knob. I was constantly accidentally turning my Strat volume down while playing and changing the knobs on the boxes when switching on/off. Now the knobs only move when I want them to.

Back