Unreleased PRS Strat-type John Mayer

From what I gathered at the time, he left Fender because they said "you can play only Fender-brand guitars" and he said "but I want to play that other guitar occasionally", they said "no way", so he said "get stuffed". Thus his post-Fender break-up debut with that loud pink Jackson at the 2015 Grammys.
Assuming the truth of this narrative, it'd be very ironic considering Jackson is a Fender brand.

From what I gathered at the time, he left Fender because they said "you can play only Fender-brand guitars" and he said "but I want to play that other guitar occasionally", they said "no way", so he said "get stuffed". Thus his post-Fender break-up debut with that loud pink Jackson at the 2015 Grammys.
That’s a strong “pink” message!:eek:

I'd have a hard time rationalizing a PRS strat at 2 grand or more when the Fenders go from 499.00 to 1100.00 bucks brand new off the wall. No, they don't have PRS cache, but they have Fender cache and they sound just about the same, and in some instances of pure luck better. I think its a stray from what PRS is actually about.

I'd have a hard time rationalizing a PRS strat at 2 grand or more when the Fenders go from 499.00 to 1100.00 bucks brand new off the wall. No, they don't have PRS cache, but they have Fender cache and they sound just about the same, and in some instances of pure luck better. I think its a stray from what PRS is actually about.

$2k would be competitive with Fender American Elite series and Suhr. PRS would be every bit the equal of either.

It would have to fall into the $1600 or under range to be competitive. Anything more than that and the only ones buying would be the PRS faithful.

The point to me isn’t it competing with price with anything else. I buy PRS for one main reason, and that is I like spending my dollars on product that was designed by a guy that is still alive and well. I haven’t bought a fender strat yet because I’m waiting on this guitar. Sure, I’ve had other fenders and Gibson’s in the past, but all I have now are PRS guitars.

I didn’t get to meet Leo Fender or Orville Gibson. I’ve met Paul and talked with him on 4 separate occasions. The only alternative that I have seriously considered for a Strat is a Suhr, but I have had one of those in the past, as well. Great great guitar. I just want to wait and see what PRS does with a strat. If we haven’t heard something by February or March, I’ll probably look at Suhr again.

The point to me isn’t it competing with price with anything else. I buy PRS for one main reason, and that is I like spending my dollars on product that was designed by a guy that is still alive and well. I haven’t bought a fender strat yet because I’m waiting on this guitar. Sure, I’ve had other fenders and Gibson’s in the past, but all I have now are PRS guitars.

I didn’t get to meet Leo Fender or Orville Gibson. I’ve met Paul and talked with him on 4 separate occasions. The only alternative that I have seriously considered for a Strat is a Suhr, but I have had one of those in the past, as well. Great great guitar. I just want to wait and see what PRS does with a strat. If we haven’t heard something by February or March, I’ll probably look at Suhr again.

If this doesn't happen, and you're going to look at something else, be sure to check out Xotic XSC-1 or XSC-2

Funny...John Suhr hinting at a shorter scale model on the Tone Talk podcast and PRS teasing us with a strat type.

I have an American Standard strat, but am seriously eyeing a Suhr throwback and dipping my toe that way.

I have a CU24 and an SC245 that aren’t going anywhere soon.

I met John earlier this year and asked him why he had recently not been using the silver PRS on his solo tour. He told me it was back at PRS for some "fine tuning" so that "it will be perfect" and that it would be back. Seems it's back. As I said in another post, John also said they were working to make it more affordable than the Super Eagle. Anyhow, I thought I'd post his answer as to why it disappeared for a while.

I met John earlier this year and asked him why he had recently not been using the silver PRS on his solo tour. He told me it was back at PRS for some "fine tuning" so that "it will be perfect" and that it would be back. Seems it's back. As I said in another post, John also said they were working to make it more affordable than the Super Eagle. Anyhow, I thought I'd post his answer as to why it disappeared for a while.

Best news I’ve heard all day! I am hopeful that it will be ready for NAMM.

Hopefully it's WAAAAAY more affordable than the Super Eagle. If not, I fear it may be a bit of a flop commercially.

I’m wondering about the Silver Sky trademark. Surely that won’t be the name of the model, right? If it is the name of the model, then would it only come in silver? I can’t see it only coming in one color. Maybe that trademark is for the name of the silver. Like Fender’s Inca Silver, but this color is PRS’ Silver Sky.

Hopefully it's WAAAAAY more affordable than the Super Eagle. If not, I fear it may be a bit of a flop commercially.
Yeah, I was thinking, more affordable than a Super Eagle = 99.999999999% of all guitars ever sold.

It's like a restaurant putting a burger on the menu and saying, "It's more affordable than the Fleur Burger 5000". Just a teensy bit vague.

Martin just put out a new Mayer signature acoustic guitar ... and it's $15,000. Just silly.

Back