Unreleased PRS Strat-type John Mayer

I just talked to a top 3 dealer today; they are under the impression that it's not coming out this year, but at the next Winter NAMM. I did not get a hint that it had been canceled.

I just talked to a top 3 dealer today; they are under the impression that it's not coming out this year, but at the next Winter NAMM. I did not get a hint that it had been canceled.

Hope you're right , cuz I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

God I've been holding off on getting a PRS hoping to get this new strat like hybrid since I mostly play Mayer-esqe and pishy stuff lately. Might just have to settle for a 24!

God I've been holding off on getting a PRS hoping to get this new strat like hybrid since I mostly play Mayer-esqe and pishy stuff lately. Might just have to settle for a 24!
Try a 509 in single coil mode with 9s. Drop the pickups down. Sounds great.

Interesting that he would be grumpy. You think he would be flattered that so many folks are interested in this guitar that Mayer is playing out on tour in front of thousands of people and the internet every night.

The only way I can see him being upset about it is if he isn’t really interested in making an S style guitar, but did a favor for John that turned into a firestorm of demand that he isn’t interested in supplying.

Interesting that he would be grumpy. You think he would be flattered that so many folks are interested in this guitar that Mayer is playing out on tour in front of thousands of people and the internet every night.

The only way I can see him being upset about it is if he isn’t really interested in making an S style guitar, but did a favor for John that turned into a firestorm of demand that he isn’t interested in supplying.

That is nonsense. The entire point of that Mayer guitar development process IS to sell it and sell a lot of them. Paul loves himself some money, just like every other business person. He is probably grumpy because he is being hammered about it over and over again.

Yeah, don't read into it. That's Paul's standard reaction when people poke him for inside info on what's coming up. If you've ever seen any videos of Paul, he's never really grumpy but he likes to give people a hard time in a good natured way. He always feigns offense when someone asks for trade secrets. He's just as good a businessman and salesman as he is a luthier, so he ain't giving anything away until he's ready.

The PRS sales rep did say they have some more things coming at NAMM, so we'll see what happens then.

That is nonsense. The entire point of that Mayer guitar development process IS to sell it and sell a lot of them. Paul loves himself some money, just like every other business person. He is probably grumpy because he is being hammered about it over and over again.
I agree with this, although, does anybody know if JM is actually still using it? When I saw him a few months back he used several different guitars, but the only S-type guitars he used were from the F brand. It very well could have been that he just decided not to use it that night. He supposedly tours (or used to) with like 50 guitars.

However, the conspiracy theorist in me sees an alternative: Maybe JM wasn't feeling it and it got shelved? Would explain why Paul would seem grumpy about being constantly asked about it.

Haha, like I said it was Paul's standard type of response to those sorts of questions.

And don't stress too much about what John is or isn't playing. That guy has always played whatever the hell he wants and it changes often.

However, the conspiracy theorist in me sees an alternative: Maybe JM wasn't feeling it and it got shelved? Would explain why Paul would seem grumpy about being constantly asked about it.

I was thinking this as well and its entirely possible. John is a notorious diva in certain aspects. He left Fender for still very unknown and mysterious reasons. Who knows. We'll see.

I was thinking this as well and its entirely possible. John is a notorious diva in certain aspects. He left Fender for still very unknown and mysterious reasons. Who knows. We'll see.
From what I gathered at the time, he left Fender because they said "you can play only Fender-brand guitars" and he said "but I want to play that other guitar occasionally", they said "no way", so he said "get stuffed". Thus his post-Fender break-up debut with that loud pink Jackson at the 2015 Grammys.

Back