Unreleased PRS Strat-type John Mayer

More player than instrument. I can make a PRS sound like a (insert cheap guitar here). :p:p He could probably make a Silvertone sound like a Strat. Glad he's on board.

PRS has made a couple strats over the years....the EG...the 305...the NF3...I wonder what's different about this one? Personally, I prefer PRS's original designs - as I think their sales have proved out over the years, as none of the strat types seem to have lasted long. My vote? Leave strats to Fender, continue to make the most excellent PRS designs.

PRS has made a couple strats over the years....the EG...the 305...the NF3...I wonder what's different about this one? Personally, I prefer PRS's original designs - as I think their sales have proved out over the years, as none of the strat types seem to have lasted long. My vote? Leave strats to Fender, continue to make the most excellent PRS designs.
Well, since Mr Mayer is no longer affiliated with Fender (almost as messy as his break-up with Ms Anniston!), he needs to get his Strat-like sounds from his new BFF, PRS. And I'm alright with that: it brings some awareness to the brand, and I think if anyone can make a strat-like guitar that does everything a strat needs to and more in some magical way, it might be PRS.

At first glance, I kind of agree with Aahzz above......
But, I had similar reservations about the 594, and I now own and love one........

Any guitar which helps boost PRS's visability and recognition among players is a good thing.
As many Strats and Teles as I've owned over the years, when I want that sound, I currently use a French-built guitar.
it would be great to see PRS introduce their versions of S and T types. They could do it with the S-2 line and see what happens.

I would eagerly get in line for one of these!

Me too but despite the defunct status of his relationship with Fender I think he'll always use some Fender Strats in his gigs / concerts and recordings. Im sure he has history and a fondness (at the very least) for his previous go to "F" instruments that are bigger than Fender Coperates shortsightedness. I'm sure that "F" are kicking themselves and that in time they will try to woo him back to the fold.

Last edited:
Sign me up.....
I honestly could care less who's name is on the TRC, it's a PRS and that means QUALITY in every aspect.
Sure, their take on a "Strat" type has been done in the past, but this is clearly not a re-hash of an E.G., 305, NF3 etc..
The Body, Bridge, Electronics, (possibly) neck shape all appear to be completely new designs, and that's enough to get me VERY interested in this guitar.
Let's hope this prototype comes to fruition, maybe with an all maple neck if I beg enough...

Just listen to this beast.....

Maple neck and fretboard, Candy Apple Red body with a white scratchplate and under £2k street price in the U.K. And I guarantee my credit card will see some action!!!

Unless the neck turns out to be pattern thin.... :(

I was scared you'd say that...
Qualifier: nothing sounds just like a Tele other than a Tele, but a Tele never played as well as a Vela. And the Vela makes me want to play the way a Tele makes me want to play. Purely subjective, of course.

We've got some new, better pics of the S-type beast from Chicago. Still can't tell if that's a PRS tremolo bridge or not. Mr. Mayer has some big hands !
It appears he's playing it on 4 or 5 tunes per show. That's telling me something, since he has boat load of strats in his tour cartage, including a '64 (which seems to come out for the Trio/blues set).
xG5m3rT.jpg

5Ks2PEC.jpg;

Back