Unreleased PRS Strat-type John Mayer

I'd be in a Core PRS S type for sure! I know that I need a new acoustic first, but I've been eyeballing DC3s recently (the CFO said that once we took care of a few things then I could splurge on something......that might be a trap, then again, it might just be a new to me PRS!).

So the idea of an S type has my curiosity piqued!

I suppose one could make the same argument about the SC594 and an LP. They'd both certainly have similarities to their inspirations, but PRS will always apply their twist.

I think it would have to hit that price to be competitive. For that money you can get the Fender American Elite or a Suhr Classic Pro. Or to John Beef's point, if you're handy you can self-build something to your personal taste and still have beer money left over.

Yeah it would have to be exceptional to compete with Suhr.

I have no concern that, if it were to become a model, it wouldn't be exceptional. But it wouldn't be a clone of one or a "me too" of the other. It would be a PRS with it's own vibe. Again, I feel it would be a rethink of the EG. It's been done 7 times now. They would have to have some reason to think it would take off this time.

I have no concern that, if it were to become a model, it wouldn't be exceptional. But it wouldn't be a clone of one or a "me too" of the other. It would be a PRS with it's own vibe. Again, I feel it would be a rethink of the EG. It's been done 7 times now. They would have to have some reason to think it would take off this time.
The question for me is......does prs roll out new pickup s for this new model

....and like a Lemming, I'd follow you right off that cliff!
What gets me mostly interested is:

1) Who made those S-type pickups?

2) Is the trem unique and PRS made?

3) The neck is not left-handed. It's completely offset with a new asymmetrical headstock. And it's MAPLE.

{hearts}

What gets me mostly interested is:

1) Who made those S-type pickups?

2) Is the trem unique and PRS made?

3) The neck is not left-handed. It's completely offset with a new asymmetrical headstock. And it's MAPLE.

{hearts}

I would bet the pickups are made by PRS, specifically with this model and with input from John, and same with the Trem.

I would also bet that the headstock on a Production Model would be the standard PRS headstock, that this prototype had a left handed neck on it to be silly, like an upside-down Jimi Hendrix thing going on.

I just got a NOS 305 and I dig it, but sign me up for one of these as well! ;)

I don't mind paying slightly more than CE prices if PRS upgrades the birds from the mother of countertop (thanks Sergio) currently used in the S2 and CE range. SE birds or dots would be preferable.

Really? My kitchen countertop looks way better than my SE plastic inlays.

Really? My kitchen countertop looks way better than my SE plastic inlays.

It was a bit of a tongue-in-cheek comment based on another forum post I saw a long time ago...

The inlays on my Bernie look quite good, but not not as good as those on my USA Standard 24. I am not sure what material is used for the S2 and new CE range - I just find the solid white colour birds less attractive than the birds on my Bernie. Not saying I want abalone birds on a mid-range guitar, just saying that it would be nice to have an option or two when it comes to specs. For instance, the S2 range offers plain white dots which I prefer over the white birds while the CE24 does not. My order of preference would be a) different material for the birds, b) plain white dots, and c) plain white birds.

Perhaps there are other materials out there that still are cost-effective - I don't know what the material used is, nor do I know the reasons PRS chose to use it.

I'd love to see a core version of this, but it has S2 all over it. If not SE.
Starts are so easy to make compared to set neck guitars that it's a joke. You can make hundreds of strats every day, and a S2 version of this could easily be in the sub 1000 price range, which takes the sales volume to another level. To make a US$ 2k guitar to fight in the flooded bolt on boutique market seems unlikely to me. Let's see how it goes, considering both names involved are very powerful market-wise.

It could be a S2 hype generator indeed.
"New John Mayer signature S2 NF3"

Ok, I'll take two... Three, I meant three :p

I unfortunately read the TGP thread about this guitar...lots of hate for both PRS and Mayer. It's nice to come here and have my mind cleared out a bit.

I'm not much of a single coil guy and already have a 305 for those needs so this wouldn't be on my radar but I still like it. And to throw a few more thoughts on the core/s2/SE debate, why not all three? They could throw a flame maple top on for a core version, that might even get me excited.

I unfortunately read the TGP thread about this guitar...lots of hate for both PRS and Mayer. It's nice to come here and have my mind cleared out a bit.

I'm not much of a single coil guy and already have a 305 for those needs so this wouldn't be on my radar but I still like it. And to throw a few more thoughts on the core/s2/SE debate, why not all three? They could throw a flame maple top on for a core version, that might even get me excited.

John Mayer and PRS are two of the most polarizing topics on TGP. Make it a relic and watch the sparks fly!

I would bet the pickups are made by PRS, specifically with this model and with input from John, and same with the Trem.

I would also bet that the headstock on a Production Model would be the standard PRS headstock, that this prototype had a left handed neck on it to be silly, like an upside-down Jimi Hendrix thing going on.

I just got a NOS 305 and I dig it, but sign me up for one of these as well! ;)

It's not a lefty headstock. Look at the offset tuner placement and asymmetrical throat curvatures at its base. It's a totally new header.

It's not a lefty headstock. Look at the offset tuner placement and asymmetrical throat curvatures at its base. It's a totally new header.

I searched for pics and zoomed in. You are correct, and new shape! The pics didn't show it very clearly, I look forward to seeing better pictures...

Judging from the closeup pics in the youtube vid i bet it doesn't even have a trussrod.
Looks like the flush walnut plug you see on the headstock of heel adjustment maple strats and since I doubt PRS would do something that is such a pain in the rear to adjust I would guess "graphite rod"

Close your eyes, and listen. PRS makes an amazing Strat!

Back