Unreleased PRS Strat-type John Mayer

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by Vintage Yellow, Apr 10, 2017.

1. bodia

bodia Authorities said.....best leave it.....unsolved

....and like a Lemming, I'd follow you right off that cliff!

ViperDoc likes this.
  2. BMiller

BMiller New Member

I'd be in a Core PRS S type for sure! I know that I need a new acoustic first, but I've been eyeballing DC3s recently (the CFO said that once we took care of a few things then I could splurge on something......that might be a trap, then again, it might just be a new to me PRS!).

So the idea of an S type has my curiosity piqued!

dogrocketp likes this.
  3. Guitarsan

Guitarsan "I floor it. That’s technical talk." SRV

Yeah it would have to be exceptional to compete with Suhr.

4. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

It'd have to be exceptional to compete with Fender, for that matter.

But Paul R. Smith is an exceptional guy. So I'd say there's a good chance it'd be an exceptional guitar. :)

Casi1, Dusty Chalk, JonW and 3 others like this.
  5. AP515

AP515 Mostly Normal

I have no concern that, if it were to become a model, it wouldn't be exceptional. But it wouldn't be a clone of one or a "me too" of the other. It would be a PRS with it's own vibe. Again, I feel it would be a rethink of the EG. It's been done 7 times now. They would have to have some reason to think it would take off this time.

JonW and garrett like this.
  6. peplogic

peplogic New Member

The question for me is......does prs roll out new pickup s for this new model

7. ViperDoc

ViperDoc Plugged In.

What gets me mostly interested is:

1) Who made those S-type pickups?

2) Is the trem unique and PRS made?

3) The neck is not left-handed. It's completely offset with a new asymmetrical headstock. And it's MAPLE.

{hearts}

8. MA Pete

MA Pete SC 594 Addict

I would bet the pickups are made by PRS, specifically with this model and with input from John, and same with the Trem.

I would also bet that the headstock on a Production Model would be the standard PRS headstock, that this prototype had a left handed neck on it to be silly, like an upside-down Jimi Hendrix thing going on.

I just got a NOS 305 and I dig it, but sign me up for one of these as well! ;)

dogrocketp likes this.
  9. Basauri

Basauri Diamonds x Guitars deal with Paul

Really? My kitchen countertop looks way better than my SE plastic inlays.

Kinsman likes this.
  10. grausch

grausch New Member

It was a bit of a tongue-in-cheek comment based on another forum post I saw a long time ago...

The inlays on my Bernie look quite good, but not not as good as those on my USA Standard 24. I am not sure what material is used for the S2 and new CE range - I just find the solid white colour birds less attractive than the birds on my Bernie. Not saying I want abalone birds on a mid-range guitar, just saying that it would be nice to have an option or two when it comes to specs. For instance, the S2 range offers plain white dots which I prefer over the white birds while the CE24 does not. My order of preference would be a) different material for the birds, b) plain white dots, and c) plain white birds.

Perhaps there are other materials out there that still are cost-effective - I don't know what the material used is, nor do I know the reasons PRS chose to use it.

dogrocketp likes this.
  11. Felipe

Felipe New Member

I'd love to see a core version of this, but it has S2 all over it. If not SE.
    Starts are so easy to make compared to set neck guitars that it's a joke. You can make hundreds of strats every day, and a S2 version of this could easily be in the sub 1000 price range, which takes the sales volume to another level. To make a US$ 2k guitar to fight in the flooded bolt on boutique market seems unlikely to me. Let's see how it goes, considering both names involved are very powerful market-wise.

12. Basauri

Basauri Diamonds x Guitars deal with Paul

It could be a S2 hype generator indeed.
    "New John Mayer signature S2 NF3"

Ok, I'll take two... Three, I meant three :p

dogrocketp likes this.
  13. sergiodeblanc

sergiodeblanc I like to party, mmm hmm, everybody does.

I'll take a blanc one with a mirrored pick guard and a maple neck, please.

dogrocketp, Mike Duncan, JonW and 3 others like this.
  14. Spikedog007

Spikedog007 Life is good, it really is.

I unfortunately read the TGP thread about this guitar...lots of hate for both PRS and Mayer. It's nice to come here and have my mind cleared out a bit.

I'm not much of a single coil guy and already have a 305 for those needs so this wouldn't be on my radar but I still like it. And to throw a few more thoughts on the core/s2/SE debate, why not all three? They could throw a flame maple top on for a core version, that might even get me excited.

15. garrett

garrett knows just enough to be dangerous

John Mayer and PRS are two of the most polarizing topics on TGP. Make it a relic and watch the sparks fly!

16. MichaelC24

MichaelC24 New Member

This ^^^^^^^

I would love to see more all maple necks in the PRS line-up. SE,S2,Core....those birds on a Maple board are a masterpiece! Might be a good move with the whole CITES thing...

John Beef likes this.
  17. ViperDoc

ViperDoc Plugged In.

It's not a lefty headstock. Look at the offset tuner placement and asymmetrical throat curvatures at its base. It's a totally new header.

dogrocketp, JonW and garrett like this.
  18. MA Pete

MA Pete SC 594 Addict

I searched for pics and zoomed in. You are correct, and new shape! The pics didn't show it very clearly, I look forward to seeing better pictures...

19. Milchschnitte

Milchschnitte New Member

Judging from the closeup pics in the youtube vid i bet it doesn't even have a trussrod.
    Looks like the flush walnut plug you see on the headstock of heel adjustment maple strats and since I doubt PRS would do something that is such a pain in the rear to adjust I would guess "graphite rod"

20. P90s

P90s New Member

Close your eyes, and listen. PRS makes an amazing Strat!