Unofficial Reclaimed Limited Thread

Lesser known part of the Vela...the neck. Check this out...
vela7.jpg

vela8.jpg

It feels every bit as good as some rosewood necks I've enjoyed.

Satin-y?

I just got my first prs a couple of months ago - used trampas green ce (wasn't so much in love with the color as much as the price but still a beautiful guitar and plays great). Thought I had my forever guitar - but damn if these ce's arent making me REALLY think about putting my current one up on reverb.

Love the look, and biggest draw for me is the semi-hollow.

Decisions decisions!

Question though - why is the price so much less than the regular ones? I assume it's less time spent on the finish vs inferior materials?

Question though - why is the price so much less than the regular ones? I assume it's less time spent on the finish vs inferior materials?

Ithinksoyes.

It's in the price neighborhood of the CE standard satins. Satin finish is easier to do, less labor cost.

Also with the holes and discoloration being part of the package, they likely get better yield from the woods.

I don't have the language or recording gear to provide a proper tone demo but I will share a tiny portion of my first experience with this new Vela. I plugged it into my Mesa Mark Five:25 on it's 1x12 Mesa recto cabinet which I had sitting up high and pointed at my head. I set the amp to what I call the Mark 1 clean channel with the eq sliders disengaged and the dials set to at least 12:00 or better for bass-mid-treb. I just wanted to try and get a feel for the clean tones of the guitar so I could experience these new tone woods, the semi solid body's contribution and this new pair of pickups that I had never played before. So I had the volume up a good bit to make sure I'm hearing everything well and after a while I found myself really digging the clean, woody, whatever you want to call it tone. Then I looked down and realized I was in the single coil plate pickup at the neck position. Didn't expect it to sound that good. So I selected the middle position to get both pickups without touching anything else and holy sheepsh!t! Let's just say that all that stuff you hear PRSh talk about there being a whole sonic spectrum in the sound when notes are played... that's the stuff that was coming out of that guitar. Tone = HUGE. That's all I have to say on that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice one drdoom! I shouldn't be too far behind you then, since I ordered within a couple hours of them being announced, and my rep didn't even know about them! Or maybe I'm in the next batch...

drdoom8793 Gorgeous guitar..
I can't wait for mine to come in..

shinksma
I just got word from my Sweetwater rep to not to expect mine till May.. He wasn't sure how the Reclaimed guitars fit in to the PRS production schedule. Apparently that was their original quote for delivery. So I guess he doesn't want to get my hopes up for earlier time frame..

shinksma
I just got word from my Sweetwater rep to not to expect mine till May.. He wasn't sure how the Reclaimed guitars fit in to the PRS production schedule. Apparently that was their original quote for delivery. So I guess he doesn't want to get my hopes up for earlier time frame..

Yup same here: I was pumped when I saw Doom's posts in anticipation of mine arriving this week, but my rep just told me only a few were received and the remaining orders can come in any day or not until May/after. I am almost top of the queue now supposedly, so if there is another batch prior to May, I may be in luck! I hate waiting for new guitar days, what a tough problem to complain about haha.

shinksma
Yup same here: I was pumped when I saw Doom's posts in anticipation of mine arriving this week, but my rep just told me only a few were received and the remaining orders can come in any day or not until May/after. I am almost top of the queue now supposedly, so if there is another batch prior to May, I may be in luck! I hate waiting for new guitar days, what a tough problem to complain about haha.
Ah, thanks for the info, guys!

I shouldn't really whine, I just had a NGD for my Santana, so I can be entertained by that for quite a while. I just can't help drooling overt these photos of the RLs!

And just like that, the tide turns! Got an email from my Sweetwater rep, guitar is in, will ship today! Oh yeah, and pics!

S2024131-body-large_zpsggexjsm0.jpg

S2024131-back-large_zpsgmkbxbrp.jpg

S2024131-angle-large_zpskwyuckog.jpg

And if you actually read past the photos :p, I will give a tone report and my own photos as soon as feasible!

And just like that, the tide turns! Got an email from my Sweetwater rep, guitar is in, will ship today! Oh yeah, and pics!

And if you actually read past the photos :p, I will give a tone report and my own photos as soon as feasible!

Now you guys are just taunting me...:eek:

Congrats!! I'm really liking that grain. It's simple yet elegant!!

Got the call today that my Vela was in, so I headed off to the store right after I finished working. When I got there, I shopped around a bit, talked to my guy. He seemed pretty blown away - he said it was very resonant and played like a dream. They also got a CE in (which I had already seen). He told me about it, and said, "The CE is...but the Vela..." He said he didn't even plug it in, he enjoyed it so much acoustically. It was already set up for me and ready to go.

Came home, snapped a couple pics, ate dinner and plugged it in. I have to admit - totally honeymoon phase, but I was pretty blown away. It's different than anything else I have (part of the goal), and he wasn't kidding about the resonance. In addition, the note clarity was pretty stunning. I did a small amount of finger picking, a bit more strumming and arpeggiated playing. Kicked in a distortion pedal, and this thing sustained like crazy. I was really happy with the note bloom, too. There's a lot of snap to the tone, especially with the coil tap pulled on the bridge pup, but even without that, in the middle position, it's got more snap than anything else I have. Very Tele-like.

The satin finish feels fabulous, and the neck - good lord. The satin finish suits that so well. In general, I don't go for the satin finishes, but it feels so right on this guitar. This top has a few more "beauty marks" than some of the others posted, and I wasn't sure how I felt about that at first, but that faded in about 20 seconds or so. The funny thing is there are some I didn't even notice until I was looking at the pictures. You'll see below, there's a crack in the top right above where the jack is - not a flaw, part of the reclaimed wood. I took a picture of that, then noticed the other cracks to the left of it. I hadn't noticed them before that, or if I had, I didn't think they were cracks (grooves might be more accurate, but what the hell, I've had crackwood, now I've got crackedwood!).

Enough yapping, they said - give us pictures...

vela01.jpg

vela02.jpg

Nothing in MY f-hole!!!!!

vela06.jpg
vela08.jpg

vela04.jpg
vela05.jpg

vela13.jpg
vela15.jpg

This is the crack from above - goes right to the side.

vela16.jpg

Got the call today that my Vela was in, so I headed off to the store right after I finished working. When I got there, I shopped around a bit, talked to my guy. He seemed pretty blown away - he said it was very resonant and played like a dream. They also got a CE in (which I had already seen). He told me about it, and said, "The CE is...but the Vela..." He said he didn't even plug it in, he enjoyed it so much acoustically. It was already set up for me and ready to go.

Came home, snapped a couple pics, ate dinner and plugged it in. I have to admit - totally honeymoon phase, but I was pretty blown away. It's different than anything else I have (part of the goal), and he wasn't kidding about the resonance. In addition, the note clarity was pretty stunning. I did a small amount of finger picking, a bit more strumming and arpeggiated playing. Kicked in a distortion pedal, and this thing sustained like crazy. I was really happy with the note bloom, too. There's a lot of snap to the tone, especially with the coil tap pulled on the bridge pup, but even without that, in the middle position, it's got more snap than anything else I have. Very Tele-like.

The satin finish feels fabulous, and the neck - good lord. The satin finish suits that so well. In general, I don't go for the satin finishes, but it feels so right on this guitar. This top has a few more "beauty marks" than some of the others posted, and I wasn't sure how I felt about that at first, but that faded in about 20 seconds or so. The funny thing is there are some I didn't even notice until I was looking at the pictures. You'll see below, there's a crack in the top right above where the jack is - not a flaw, part of the reclaimed wood. I took a picture of that, then noticed the other cracks to the left of it. I hadn't noticed them before that, or if I had, I didn't think they were cracks (grooves might be more accurate, but what the hell, I've had crackwood, now I've got crackedwood!).

Enough yapping, they said - give us pictures...

vela01.jpg

vela02.jpg

Nothing in MY f-hole!!!!!

vela06.jpg
vela08.jpg

vela04.jpg
vela05.jpg

vela13.jpg
vela15.jpg

This is the crack from above - goes right to the side.

vela16.jpg

Smokin' hot, Alan!

Awesome top Alan! (Yeah, Buildermike said exactly that.)

I like both varieties: ones with nail holes, cracks, blemishes; and the ones with nothing but relatively clean wood. And all of the clean wood variations from just straight grain, very uniform, to the "abstract oil paintings". Gotta love these guitars, they are by far the most individually unique-looking run of tops I have ever seen. Yeah, flamed/quilted maple can all have individual features, but this takes it to a whole 'nother level.

See??!! What'd I tell ya...flippin' sweet! Love those age cracks. That one has the most character I've seen yet and it's beautiful. I've found that it draws you to play differently, think differently, because it is different. Hell, I sound like an old Apple commercial. But seriously, congratulations!

Back