Unfinished/Oiled maple neck care

RVA

Hi Mates,

I will soon have welcome responsibility of caring for an "unfinished" oiled maple PRS neck. A search reveals that that tung oil or Birchwood Casey Tru-Oil are favorites. I also note some recommend following up with bees wax or Birchwood Casey wax. I see that the Birchwood Casey wax contains silicone, which I am not sure is a problem since the neck is "unfinished", but red flags go up for me whenever silicone is used in the same sentence with guitar!

I would greatly appreciate any wisdom you can share.

Thanks.

Last edited:
How long does it take for any finish to wear off, and what happens when it does? I've heard tales of necks warping but I really don't know.
I have two guitars with satin maple necks so tips for care of these will be highly appreciated!

PRSes don't come with unfinished maple necks. The old ones were nitro, and the newer ones are infused with a finish. So is this a modded one?

PRSes don't come with unfinished maple necks. The old ones were nitro, and the newer ones are infused with a finish. So is this a modded one?

It is the CU 24 for Experience 2012, limited run of 100. I do not have it yet, but dealer site calls it an "oil finished, highly flamed maple neck". It is new and unmodded

Last edited:
I take every neck I have down to bare wood. I also do nothing to them for upkeep. I've never had a problem. The only thing that is a "problem" is that it starts showing dirt/oil quickly, especially on maple. I don't see this as a problem but some might.

I take every neck I have down to bare wood. I also do nothing to them for upkeep. I've never had a problem. The only thing that is a "problem" is that it starts showing dirt/oil quickly, especially on maple. I don't see this as a problem but some might.
Nice to hear they are not fragile. Thanks.

I am a bit of a serial polisher however, so I would like to do it safely.

It is the CU 24 for Experience 2012, limited run of 100. I do not have it yet, but dealer site calls it an "oil finished, highly flamed maple neck". It is new and unmodded

I believe that the finish is specially infused. I don't think it's just oil on top of maple.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Yup Les pretty sure that's right, it's been around since 2010 or so with the introduction of the DC3 and NF3.

I've never needed to do anything any of mine apart from wiping it down with a microfibre cloth after playing.

I believe that the finish is specially infused. I don't think it's just oil on top of maple.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Yup Les pretty sure that's right, it's been around since 2010 or so with the introduction of the DC3 and NF3.

I've never needed to do anything any of mine apart from wiping it down with a microfibre cloth after playing.
That's nice to hear. Less worrying, less maintenance, more playing! Only problem left is the waiting!

That's nice to hear. Less worrying, less maintenance, more playing! Only problem left is the waiting!

Ain't that the truth! The waiting, as Tom Petty said, is the hardest part!

But yeah, less maintenance is a good thing. The necks really do feel like bare wood, but the finish keeps them nice to handle and play, and they don't get that grungy look.

Ain't that the truth! The waiting, as Tom Petty said, is the hardest part!

But yeah, less maintenance is a good thing. The necks really do feel like bare wood, but the finish keeps them nice to handle and play, and they don't get that grungy look.
I do love feel of the NF3 necks.

While trying to find an outlet for my excitement this weekend, I was searching for more info on this run of guitars and came across the actual guitar that I purchased on the PRS site, which was cool, but somehow made the wait that much harder!

Last edited:
Thanks Les! Here are some website photos of the ax and that neck I am so eager to care for:

It's really a superb looker! With any luck it'll play and sound every bit as nice.

That neck is as sweet as the one on my Private Stock acoustic!!

Thanks Les. BTW, customer service has confirmed that the neck is finished like the NF3s.

Back