Unexpected NGD: 2011 PS Signature Limited, 2013 Paul's guitar

Utkarsh

Ministry of guitar
So folks it's been a long day so don't mind me if I doze off in the middle of this.

As you know , I got a Modern Eagle V not too long ago, which as you can imagine has sent me down a rabbit hole of guitars with 408 pickups (Paul's , 408s, Signature Limited etc).

There had been two guitars that had always been on the one day to buy list. An original run Signature Limited , with the controversial 'Sinker' mahogany necks, ideally one of the 100 PS versions. And an original run 2013 PRS Paul's Guitar.

Well, a recent check in the local classifieds found them both. Same gentleman. Both had insane quilt tops (We have talked before in this forum about how rare good quilt tops are getting, even in Private Stock).

We talked a price which was fair to him but gave me some benefit of picking both up together. He came over to show the guitars as well as check out my 513s. I inspected his guitars and the deal was done.

Below is a very quick and dirty video. Better videos will follow. The guitars are

Guitar 1: 2011 PRS Private Stock Signature Limited #63-100 in Glacier Blue. I don't know if the colour has faded because I see lots of variations of the colour including a couple which look exactly the same as this. What I do is that the top resembles pearls inside ice, if that makes any sense. My video does no justice. More on this front soon

Guitar 2: 2013 Paul's Guitar Artist Pack. Not sure what colour this is? Can anyone enlighten me? But again, a top like none other. I wouldn't call it Artist grade, it feels Private Stock Grade to me.

A bit crazy to pick this up so soon, but then often the guitars we are looking for don't find us at the right moments and we are never able to find them again. So it had be done.

Of course I am chuffed. And very tired. Goodnight! Or rather good morning to you fine folks on the other side of the world.

Congrats! I just acquired a 408 last week and have found myself looking for other 408 types as well. The GAS is real!

Great double score!
My PS sig Ltd from that run would be one of my last 2 or 3 to go (like that’s ever gonna happen). Long live the magical 408s and “sinker” mahogany!!!

Congrats. I hope you have enough time to enjoy these two…there must to be a long waiting list for your guitars waiting to be played.

Those are fabulous guitars! That's a great snag. That Glacier Blue has faded to almost Natural. I love the look of it!

Yeah the yellow light in my room makes it look a bit more er yellow than it actually is. I'll take some pics in regular natural light and share in a bit

Great double score!
My PS sig Ltd from that run would be one of my last 2 or 3 to go (like that’s ever gonna happen). Long live the magical 408s and “sinker” mahogany!!!

Congrats. I hope you have enough time to enjoy these two…there must to be a long waiting list for your guitars waiting to be played.

Yeah thats why I have the weekend :) looking particular forward to this one

Great double score!

Also I briefly played them last night.

The Paul's is nice. The Sig Ltd. is something else. Especially the neck pickup (though its the same as the Paul's) has an inexplicable sweetness. And the wide 408 bridge , Reminds me of the 513 Heavy Humbucker but much clearer and takes gain like a beast.

Overall as is no surprise it is a completely different beast from the 513, Paul's and MEV.

Very surprisingly it feels and sounds most like a great Les Paul at least to me , maybe more so than even my 594.
Many many more opinions to come.

And I am personally going to create the comparison I have been waiting for , for the longest time. A twin test of the 513 and the 408 (albeit Sig Ltd)

Super nice scores! Is it Yellow Tiger?

Or maybe Orange Tiger?

Last edited:
Back