Unexpected New PRS Day - Special SH

strat63

The Torture Never Stops
I'll do a few pics first so no reading is necessary.
DqQyRF5h.jpg

dIDvb5sh.jpg

ksn2tQSh.jpg

Being on this forum, it should be clear that I'm a fan of PRS guitars. With that said, I'm also passionate about a few other brands as well. One happens to be Collings. I went into my local shop yesterday with every intention of picking up an I35 LC Vintage. The guitar had been on order for some time and I've been waiting patiently for about a year for it to come in. It didn't disappoint but I felt that it didn't offer enough different from what I already have to justify the cost. That meant I had the opportunity to get something else.

I've been casually interested in the Special Semi-Hollow since the limited run a few years back. There was a sea of great guitars to check out and this non 10 top just stood out. I ended up spending a lot less money and came home with a great sounding guitar. One minor frustration is that it was the 2nd new PRS in a row that I bought that had a poorly cut nut. I've been playing PRS guitars since around 1990 and I never got one new or used with nut issues until the last few months. Sort of weird but it's all fixed now.

Very nice score, plus Sergio will be happy for you! Did you go to the Daves there? Congrats on a beautiful addition to the family, sorry to hear the Collings did not work out, I have been wanting to try one for some time and my enthusiasm is now a bit dampened. Not blaming you, just saying I have high hopes for them and may have a reaction similar to yours ;~(( Rock it brother and congratulations!!!

Very nice score, plus Sergio will be happy for you! Did you go to the Daves there? Congrats on a beautiful addition to the family, sorry to hear the Collings did not work out, I have been wanting to try one for some time and my enthusiasm is now a bit dampened. Not blaming you, just saying I have high hopes for them and may have a reaction similar to yours ;~(( Rock it brother and congratulations!!!
I was at Dave's. Collings builds exceptional guitars but this wasn't the right one for me. I have 3 others so no disappointment there. The Special is just a pinch under 7lbs and has been impressive so far. I'm not certain the semi-hollow part impacts the sound much but I do find the electronics to be very versatile. I spent WAY less than I had planned and I came home with a guitar that I think is going to make me very happy. That's a good day if you ask me.

Beautiful guitar! I got one recently too and have been really liking it. What color is that? Mine is blue, but a bit lighter.
I think the guitar is Cobalt Blue but I could be mistaken.

I also wanted to clarify something. I mentioned the nut but I didn't want to imply PRS quality control is going down hill or anything like that. Both guitars with nut issues were bought new in the last couple of months but they were built years apart. It really was some weird luck.

I'll do a few pics first so no reading is necessary.
DqQyRF5h.jpg

dIDvb5sh.jpg

ksn2tQSh.jpg

Being on this forum, it should be clear that I'm a fan of PRS guitars. With that said, I'm also passionate about a few other brands as well. One happens to be Collings. I went into my local shop yesterday with every intention of picking up an I35 LC Vintage. The guitar had been on order for some time and I've been waiting patiently for about a year for it to come in. It didn't disappoint but I felt that it didn't offer enough different from what I already have to justify the cost. That meant I had the opportunity to get something else.

I've been casually interested in the Special Semi-Hollow since the limited run a few years back. There was a sea of great guitars to check out and this non 10 top just stood out. I ended up spending a lot less money and came home with a great sounding guitar. One minor frustration is that it was the 2nd new PRS in a row that I bought that had a poorly cut nut. I've been playing PRS guitars since around 1990 and I never got one new or used with nut issues until the last few months. Sort of weird but it's all fixed now.
Nice.

Back