Underrated guitar players

I still don't think Nuno Bettencourt gets his due outside of certain circles.

Agreed....one of the most versatile players out there. He, and Extreme, were somewhat victims to the success of "More Than Words" on Top 40 radio. While it's great they achieved success and $$ as they deserved, those that did not listen to the rest of their music because.....pop perception, missed out.

Recently on the Generation Axe tour, I could see that many in the audience (mostly guitar players obviously) were not very familiar with him, but were blown away by him.

Agreed....one of the most versatile players out there. He, and Extreme, were somewhat victims to the success of "More Than Words" on Top 40 radio. While it's great they achieved success and $$ as they deserved, those that did not listen to the rest of their music because.....pop perception, missed out.

Recently on the Generation Axe tour, I could see that many in the audience (mostly guitar players obviously) were not very familiar with him, but were blown away by him.
Absolutely. "More than Words" confused many people.

So a quick revisit to this thread, and an observation...
I'm gonna throw out there that there's a big difference b/w underrated and unknown. As being discussed now.
I saw Scott Henderson listed very early on, and I'd venture to say those that know of him, know of his incredible talents.
There are a bunch more like this, already mentioned on here.

Oh, and as far as Alex Lifeson...in the 90's on Rolling Stone Magazine's top 100...just plain silly!!!!
THAT'S UNDERRATED!!!
And Zappa, killer guitar player, but I think many just know of his humous lyrics, not his guitar prowess...which was incredible!!!

And Zappa, killer guitar player, but I think many just know of his humous lyrics, not his guitar prowess...which was incredible!!!

Stunning guitar player. I was lucky enough to see him live three times - blown away each time. The first time we were literally center stage about 10 feet back. Amazing to watch. And that night he did something that still makes me laugh, and I've never seen video of it (oh, the days of no phone cameras at shows) - they did a round of solos through the band, with Frank first and last. His first solo? All guitar faces. Didn't play a note. And he tore it up when it came back around to him.

Back