Underrated guitar players

underrated from other guitar players or mass appeal?

if it is mass appeal I would say my all time favorite player , Michael Schenker. Otherwise, every guitar player worth their salt knows who he is and would have him somewhere on their all time greatest list.
LOVE Michael Schenker. Good call!

Took a long time for someone to mention John Miles, very under rated IMO.
Nobody spoke of Robin Trower...unless I missed it. The man is pure magic.

There are a lot of guitar players on this list! I met Phil Keagey at a guitar gathering in Nashville and he is super friendly and a great player! While I'm at it, I'll add my friend Steve Krenz.
And here is another suggestion. Jon Walmsley, yup from The Waltons. I met him and got his autograph after a concert back in 89.

Last edited:
Joe Schmo standing on the street corner in virtually every town. Sometimes fantastic musicians are right under your nose. They'll never see their name on a list. Name drop lists are so subjective.

There are a lot of guitar players on this list! I met Phil Keagey at a guitar gathering in Nashville and he is super friendly and a great player! While I'm at it, I'll add my friend Steve Krenz.
And here is another suggestion. Jon Walmsley, yup from The Waltons. I met him and got his autograph after a concert back in 89.
You went to the Guitar Gathering in Nashville!!! I am jealous. I have always wanted to attend that. You probably recognize my username as Moderator from Steve's Guitar Gathering forum. What a genuinely great guy Steve is and I also consider him a friend. I got together with him and took another lesson last August when my wife and I went to see Clapton in Nashville. And, yup, his name should be added to the list.

You went to the Guitar Gathering in Nashville!!! I am jealous. I have always wanted to attend that. You probably recognize my username as Moderator from Steve's Guitar Gathering forum. What a genuinely great guy Steve is and I also consider him a friend. I got together with him and took another lesson last August when my wife and I went to see Clapton in Nashville. And, yup, his name should be added to the list.
Actually I was part of the group that started the whole thing back in I believe 2010. We all started it because we all wanted to get together and learn and play guitar. Another woman named it the gathering as she was Scottish. Unfortunately, she passed away a few years back. The guests were Muriel Anderson, Phil Keaggy, Jack Pearson, I haven't logged in to the forum in a while due to work and distracted with this one lol. I'm actually DennisBC on that site. There was an old one from Learn and Master that we used to use before that one. Sorry I kind of took a turn on this thread, but if you get the chance to go... do it! I just went twice, then I moved away from Ohio and haven't been able to make it back since.
X8eoEzG.jpg
u5KPROg.jpg
RldKxvU.jpg
5nl9FxA.jpg
aWrSKDl.jpg

Wes borland, imho. May not be everyone's cup of tea, but you have to give him credit for creating some very catchy and memorable guitar parts.

Wes borland, imho. May not be everyone's cup of tea, but you have to give him credit for creating some very catchy and memorable guitar parts.
More like cup of slushy metal drink with rocks and lightning in it, which is really delicious in the right setting.

Thinking man’s Joe Bonamassa.

Mark Knopffler
Not exactly under-rated ! LOL. Lot's of great guitarists listed here. How about a few that were not listed- in another vein.
Luca Stricagnoli- Check this guy out- amazing stuff.
Ottmar Liebert-
Paco De Lucia- again not under-rated but seriously awesome.
Al De Meola - Same

Oh and someone who's on this board- Dale (Maple Baby) from the LLB!

Not exactly under-rated ! LOL. Lot's of great guitarists listed here. How about a few that were not listed- in another vein.
Luca Stricagnoli- Check this guy out- amazing stuff.
Ottmar Liebert-
Paco De Lucia- again not under-rated but seriously awesome.
Al De Meola - Same

Oh and someone who's on this board- Dale (Maple Baby) from the LLB!

Yep Dale’s the real deal without a doubt.

Also worth checking out @ScottM65

Last edited:
Back