Underrated guitar players

Luther Grosvenor, aka Ariel Bender (from Spooky Tooth and Mott the Hoople)

Phil Keaggy
Absolutely!! I’ve been listening to Phil since the 70s, and not only is he a monster electric and acoustic player, he’s a genuine and humble human being in person.

Also, Andy Summers is a musical landscape painter of immense proportion, yet very little recognized as a guitarist particularly. Like me, he’s more famous for his association with The Police than his musicianship. ;) In his case, undeservedly so!

Last edited:
Andy Timmons

Mark Tremonti

Myles Kennedy

As popular as these guys may be in certain circles, overall I still feel they are not given the credit they are due and certainly not as popular as other, lesser players IMO. YMMV

Ray Toro from My Chemical Romance. He tore it up when I saw them a couple weeks ago, and if you listen to the guitar work on the albums, particularly Black Parade and Danger Days, he and Frank Iero make a guitar team to be reckoned with.

Martin Barre
Elliot Easton
Marc Ford

Ray Toro from My Chemical Romance. He tore it up when I saw them a couple weeks ago, and if you listen to the guitar work on the albums, particularly Black Parade and Danger Days, he and Frank Iero make a guitar team to be reckoned with.

Martin Barre
Elliot Easton
Marc Ford
100% on the MCR boys. It’s like Toro is the play-by-play guy and Iero is the color commentator.

Phil Keaggy

Trevor Rabin

Adrian Smith

Ben Lacy (Does he count as 3? :eek:)

I was there that night (Summer NAMM in Nashville).
Wow! Thanks for that - Damn, that boy knows his way around a fretboard! Loved the rhythm pops and slaps too. And, everything in perfect time, at least as near as I could tell.

Back