Uncovered 58/15 LT

Stitchy

Hi guys!

Does anyone know if it's possible to get my 58/15LT from my McCarty 2021 uncovered?
I don't want to swap the pickup buying a new one, just get the cover unsoldered. Is it possible? I'm going to damage something? Is just a cosmetic thing or something else?

Thanks in advance

Regards

I'm no expert but I have dealt with removing covers. Generally the covers are soldered to the what I call the frame or housing the pick ups are attached to on each side. Once the covered is removed, there will usually be wax that has been applied, sometimes silicon to the surface between the cover and the pick ups to keep the cover from buzzing or causing a high shrill while playing. It can be messy, but with a little care it can be done.

yeah it ain't too hard. A bit messy getting all the wax off. I'm the opposite. I typically prefer a covered for the looks. I don't want to see wires under a pickup

I remove and add covers all the time. I'm a pick up swapping junkie. Easy. Check out a couple YT videos for tips and tricks.
Me too!

I like to swap magnets and experiment.

Those Korean made pickups that come in some older SE Singlecuts can be improved quite a bit with a magnet swap, although in mine I eventually just swapped them for some nice Duncans.

However, I sold my buddy a Korean made SE Singlecut that I did a magnet swap in and he loves it. I think I put roughcast A2 magnets in the Korean made humbuckers.

It can be a pain to remove covers from a wax potted humbucking pickup though.

And I have heard stories about guys pulling the top of the bobbin off. Never happened to me tho.

Me too!

I like to swap magnets and experiment.

Those Korean made pickups that come in some older SE Singlecuts can be improved quite a bit with a magnet swap, although in mine I eventually just swapped them for some nice Duncans.

However, I sold my buddy a Korean made SE Singlecut that I did a magnet swap in and he loves it. I think I put roughcast A2 magnets in the Korean made humbuckers.

It can be a pain to remove covers from a wax potted humbucking pickup though.

And I have heard stories about guys pulling the top of the bobbin off. Never happened to me tho.
I'm a magnet swapper as well. It can really change the character of a pickup. The tip above to heat the wax is a good one. I also cut the solder from the cover to the base plate with a box cutter to help a little with easier separation.

I'm a magnet swapper as well. It can really change the character of a pickup. The tip above to heat the wax is a good one. I also cut the solder from the cover to the base plate with a box cutter to help a little with easier separation.
I've also read of guys using a Dremel tool to cut the solder.

Last edited:
Back