Unbalanced amplification

thommy6string

I think unbalanced amplification describes my concern. I’m learning to play guitar on a PRS SE A60E and using a Fishman Loudbox Mini for my amplifier. The B and high E string ring out much louder then the other 4 strings when I’m playing thru the amplifier. I have not been able to balance out the sound. Anybody have a solution?

I think unbalanced amplification describes my concern. I’m learning to play guitar on a PRS SE A60E and using a Fishman Loudbox Mini for my amplifier. The B and high E string ring out much louder then the other 4 strings when I’m playing thru the amplifier. I have not been able to balance out the sound. Anybody have a solution?
Yes, that's a common issue with amplified acoustics that use a piezo pickup under the saddle. It's a flimsy piece of material, and if there's any inconsistency in the wood that it's lying on, inconsistency in its thickness, or inconsistency with the contact between it and the saddle above it, some notes will be louder (or softer) than others. This is because unlike electric guitar (magnetic) pickups the piezo pickup relies on pressure and vibrations. If the pressure on one end of it is less than on the other end, those notes will be amplified less. You want even contact above and below it, along its entire length. Lots of good info on addressing this, but here's a few links to start with:

Why Does My Plugged-In Acoustic-Electric Guitar Sound So Uneven?

Last edited:
Thank you. That was very helpful. I’ll check out a few more videos and collect additional information before I attempt a repair but I have good idea of what’s taking place and how to solve it.
Any suggestions on installing a different brand, model, or type of piezo pickup system in a PRS SE A60E?

Thank you. That was very helpful. I’ll check out a few more videos and collect additional information before I attempt a repair but I have good idea of what’s taking place and how to solve it.
Any suggestions on installing a different brand, model, or type of piezo pickup system in a PRS SE A60E?
You’re welcome.

I have an SE A50E (with the same piezo as yours) and I find it works great. Regardless of the guitar, it’s not uncommon to knock those out of whack. A little trial and error, and you’ll get it right. Just today I was restringing my acoustic, and I accidentally pushed down on one end of the saddle, which caused the other end to pop up. I just pushed it back down without much thought, but I’m guessing if I plug it in, I might find that a couple of strings might have lower volume.

Ok, thanks again. Ill start adjusting and see how that goes?
Does your sound hole tone dial for treble and bass provide much variation in tone. Mine does not.

Ok, thanks again. Ill start adjusting and see how that goes?
Does your sound hole tone dial for treble and bass provide much variation in tone. Mine does not.
Not a lot, but I can hear the variation. The Fishman preamp that PRS uses is a lot more subtle than an active 3-band (Bass-Mid-Treble) preamp that you often see on the side of many acoustics. But, my feeling is that it's just there for minor tone tweaks, without drastically altering the amplified sound of the guitar. Since you're using a Fishman Loudbox, that's where you can set your main tone, and then fine-tune from the guitar, if necessary.

One other thing... try it with a fresh battery.

Well Mr.Dirty_Boogie, (I’m assuming you’re a Mr.) it’s a pleasure chatting with you. I appreciate the clear and concise information. I’ve learned a lot here in just a few exchanges.
I enjoy knowing about the mechanics and make up of guitars and guitar equipment as much as playing one.

Back