Ultimate Guitar interview with PRSH

I'm late to this party, but the article piqued my interest when I noticed PRSH dropped Rhonda Smith's name. She's one of my sheroes on bass.

Thanks for the original post of this article, Shawn. I'm on the UG site every day, and I have no idea how I missed it. But it was an awesome read, and a lot of what Paul said just reinforces why I've wanted a PRSi for such a long time. The quality, the craftsmanship...but more than anything, it's the absolute love for it all that Paul displays at every turn. I've never met him, and I'm not nearly a talented enough or connected enough to get any real time with him, but it just blows me away how he's like a kid in a candy store...in his own company and factory! That, beyond anything else, is what I think separates PRS from every other major guitar company out there. Forget the quality and beauty...when they want to, Gibson, Fender, etc., can make some dang beautiful and high quality instruments. But NONE of those companies seem to have the passion, the love, and the excitement for it. They do it because at this point they're profit machines. Paul and PRS seem to do it because they love it, and the fact that they profit by it seems to almost be an afterthought.

I could gush four hours...and I know I'm peaching to the choir, and to people who are far more knowledgable than I am. I hope to learn from you guys like Paul did from Ted McCarty. So Shawn, thanks again for sharing this. I'll be passing it along to my friends!

I just finished the article - one of the best, most informative interviews with PRSh I have read to date.

Then I read the comments below the article. What is wrong with people? Such bitterness and angst and anxiety.

Obi-Wan Kenobi got it wrong: “Mos Eisley spaceport. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." It isn't Mos Eisley, he should have said "The Internet."

Last edited:
Great Read! Thanks Shawn! :D

For me the decision came down to TRUST. Paul puts his name on it. He looks us in the eye and does his best...AND he's working to get better! And I think the folks at the shop do the same! ;)
Vintage is interesting and can be learned from but in the end the guitar is a TOOL. I'm tired of it HURTING to play a guitar because it's SHARP where it shouldn't be or weights too much. If I can have great tone, great "feel" and comfort - WHY NOT? :D AND they are beautiful on top of that! OUTSTANDING. :top:

Thank you PRSH. :beer:

This is my favorite part. It so resonates as true from my experience as a player!
From the interview:

Can you address the production process for a guitar?

Four-hundred meticulous steps. No, cut that number down to over 200 meticulous steps. Which one do you want to know about?

What's the most complex step? Most demanding? Most critical?

Making a straight neck that plays in tune that stays straight a lifetime. Making a pickup that sounds beautiful; finishing the guitar; and setting it up. That's a long list; that's not fair. Making a guitar that has the possibility of magic.

Last edited:
What sold me on PRS besides the fact that they are incredible guitars is when i briefley met Paul at Frankfurt Musiekmese a few years ago, is his passion for making guitars and his humbleness.

Back