Ugh

alex1fly

I've been playing for 20 years and have always been "pretty good". But the SE Custom 24 I picked up last year has really elevated my playing. I'm flying all over the fretboard, playing stuff I've only dreamed of, and writing music like crazy because the instrument is no longer in my way.

The flip side is that I'm super annoyed by other guitars that don't have all of these features: 24 frets, amazing upper fret access, small & smooth frets, fretboard binding for no fret sprout, a neck that I can play for hours sitting/standing/thumb over/thumb on back/side thumb, give me tons of useable SC and HB sounds instantly, melts into my body, holds tune like a monster, and sounds great doing everything is so hard to justify owning/pursuing/playing.

Case in point. I've been on a Telecaster/maple fretboard kick lately. Playing them, shopping for them, researching them. I've played probably 20 and brought home two in the last 8 months because I love the mystique and the history and want to get to know one really well. But dang, they are not comfortable. Upper fret access sucks. The neck heel is clunky. The body is rigid. Playing position feels unnatural. The bridges either don't intonate well, or the saddles move all over the place, or they are so high-mass that they compromise the guitar's spanky twang. There's just so many compromises, and I've been so spoiled by my last year of playing the SE Custom 24 that I'm having a hard time viewing them as more than an academic study.

Ugh. Thanks, Paul.

I too have played for a long time (30+ years) but have never been any good at all IMO! But with my McCarty 594 HBII in hand (received Feb 10, 2021), I feel like a god compared to the past decades. I loved it so much, I bought a CU24 16 days later, and I like the feel on that even more than the HBII! I prefer the tones and lightness of the HBII better, but otherwise, CU24 wins. I just made a final payment today on my PS CU24, and it should be here next week some time!!! I can't even imagine how good it is going to feel and sound! Point is, don't worry about the others ;~)) I am going to hang on to my Martins and Fenders, etc., but for now, new guitar purchases for some time are going to be PRS! They are just magical instruments in every way I can perceive!

Happy pickin'!
MW

The Telecaster was designed to be an inexpensive, easily-built guitar 70 years ago. I thought they were junk back in 1967 when I started playing Gibsons. They haven't improved, though lots of people love the sound. My son plays an old one, and loves it. I've played his, and still don't get it.

Playing a PRS reminds me of driving a modern sports car. Playing a Tele reminds me of driving a '52 pickup truck. I certainly understand the appeal of a '52 pickup, but I wouldn't want to take a long road trip in one.

Some people enjoy “fighting” the guitar, and even say it’s part of what they like about it. I don’t get that, but who am I to say it doesn’t work for them? Personally, I love the way the PRS guitars play, and the others (including a great sounding but Tele-playing Tele) rarely get off their hangers. To each their own… something for everyone!

When I turned Pro, I had all kinds of guitars. I did sell a few nice guitars that caused hand fatigue, when I played them a lot. I then sat down and and played my hardest licks on each guitar, and recorded the number of mistakes. The winner was a 2002, PRS Swamp Ash Special. That was when I became a dedicated PRS fan. I used the SAS for a lot of the work that I did for recording artists, along with some Fender and G&L guitars. I carried other guitars to studio sessions, but I only remember using the SAS.

Last edited:
As a wise member continually says, “other guitars are trash”.
I have found this to be true. Though my Ibanez Artcore was really nice for the money. I am even getting used to the wide/fat neck, though I must say I prefer the wide/thin.

Alex,

I'll echo your sentiments regards the playability of a Tele. I've owned only one in my lifetime, and it was a Suhr. The classic C neck was thicker than what I was used to with a PRS, and a real bear to play. Eventually sold that and gravitated back toward PRS again. Have not found anything else quite like PRS that checks all the boxes quite like them.

I'd echo building your own tele. Its a simple guitar to build and can be your exact specs. Mine is one of the most comfortable guitars I own and sounds amazing. Everyone that hears it wants it and it competes with my core in more ways than I ever expected. PRS is still king around here, but I'll be damned if I ever sell my tele.

16229165619597565269365788421460_15633384362504816c1d5d8d0b68f70c.jpg

I'd echo building your own tele. Its a simple guitar to build and can be your exact specs. Mine is one of the most comfortable guitars I own and sounds amazing. Everyone that hears it wants it and it competes with my core in more ways than I ever expected. PRS is still king around here, but I'll be damned if I ever sell my tele.

16229165619597565269365788421460_15633384362504816c1d5d8d0b68f70c.jpg
I'd be real interested to hear what you spec'ed out to make it play as well as your PRS?!

I have an S2 customized to my liking, nicknamed "DarthPaul" (thanks to @Alnus Rubra ). It will be my forever guitar.

I had a Squier CV50 Telecaster before. It sounded great for what it is and the classic vibe that it truly has. But I was fighting with it - heavy as heck, very square'ish as the absence of belly and arm cuts were uncomfortable, the ash tray bridge was always in my way, and... did I say "heavy as heck" already? I liked it, but it had go.

I would take a Kotzen Tele though if I had plans to own another tele. It was so comfortable to play despite of my small hands on its baseball bat neck when i tried one the Chicago Music Exchange. It had very nice tones and the necessary body cuts.

The only other guitar I own that would be my forever keep is surprisingly a cheapo Switch guitar that was also customized to my liking with Gibson Firebird V pickups and some electronics wizardry. It has a weather proof resin body with contours that makes playing comfortable.

Last edited:
I'd be real interested to hear what you spec'ed out to make it play as well as your PRS?!

Time was the biggest spec. PRS spoiled me on necks and that's where most of my time was spent. It's smooth as butter and the wood used is top shelf. I used quality parts for everything on her down to the screws.

I debated back and forth but did put a slight forearm contour. I didn't do the body cut, but sometimes I think about adding it. I won't though. Another huge improvement is the compensated brass saddles made by this guy in Oregon. The brass warmed up the sound for more versatility or tele spank, the intonation is now spot on, plus my palms thank me everyrime for the comfort. Overall the guitar is light and very balanced in sound and feel. I wouldn't change a thing.

I would take a Kotzen Tele though if I had plans to own another tele. It was so comfortable to play despite of my small hands on its baseball bat neck when i tried one the Chicago Music Exchange. It had very nice tones and the necessary body cuts.

Yeah, this second Tele I brought home felt great in the shop... had a massive 50s style neck. An hour of playing at home though rendered my entire fretting arm useless though. The first time "play before you buy!" hasn't worked out for me. I'm keeping it for a bit to eventually try another neck on it, because the vibes are so good. But I'll probably need to take a sander to it as well, so time will tell if I have the appetite for that.

Time was the biggest spec. PRS spoiled me on necks and that's where most of my time was spent. It's smooth as butter and the wood used is top shelf. I used quality parts for everything on her down to the screws.

I debated back and forth but did put a slight forearm contour. I didn't do the body cut, but sometimes I think about adding it. I won't though. Another huge improvement is the compensated brass saddles made by this guy in Oregon. The brass warmed up the sound for more versatility or tele spank, the intonation is now spot on, plus my palms thank me everyrime for the comfort. Overall the guitar is light and very balanced in sound and feel. I wouldn't change a thing.

What kind of neck is on it? I see it's a Warmoth, but they have all kinds of options....

What kind of neck is on it? I see it's a Warmoth, but they have all kinds of options....

Yes Warmoth. Highly flamed roasted maple with Indian rosewood board and stainless steel frets. I have Warmoth's 59 roundback profile but it's nothing like the PRS wiidethin on the SE. The standard thin with 1 11/16 nut would be closer going off listed measurements.

Back