UAD recreate tweed digitally

Dusty Chalk

alberngruppenführer
Bastids.
I love the fact that they even reference phases of the moon.

Well, I have an Apollo interface with the UAD system, and so far, none of the amps they model respond like real amps. They're good models, if you're into that world, but no cigar, compared to the real thing.

I'll update my system (you get 14 day demos with every update) and demo this one, and report back.

Please do. I was very impressed.

When I got to the end of the video and they say every sound was recorded using the plugin, my jaw dropped. But I also ended up wishing for an instrumental version, without the voice-over guy, so I could hear the tones more clearly.

But responsiveness is another thing, so I share your concern.

There's also this:

Last edited:
Please do. I was very impressed.

When you get to the end of the video and they say every sound was recorded using the plugin, my jaw dropped. But I also ended up wishing for an instrumental version.

But responsiveness is another thing, so I share your concern.

There's also this:

What's missing for me in that demo is the crispness of the real amp clean on the low strings, and there's a bit of what sounds like unnatural detuning weirdness from the distortion harmonics (as with many algorithmic modelers), but it just could be that guy's setup, his guitar, etc.

However, I just mixed a track using the new UA/Chandler Curve Bender plugin, and I have to say it sounds unbelievably good. I'm definitely going to give the amp model a try, maybe tonight. I shall report back after completing my reconnaissance mission, sir!

I'll cut a track with it using my McCarty, oughta be a good reference and should match up well.

Well, I wrote a little track of the kind I'd use a Tweed amp for, and recorded it. Two observations: one, it's a little bit "stiffer" to play through this model than the real amp, a bit less elastic and forgiving, but second, it sits pretty well in a track in my opinion and doesn't have the artifacts distorted I heard in the other demo I commented on. So it's a nice model. Also, it's nice and crisp on the low strings.

Gear: McCarty full humbucker bridge pickup set around 5-6 for rhythm track, and set to 9 for the solo track; into an Avalon U5 direct box, into UA Apollo. DAW was Logic. I used EQ , reverb and a bit of compression on the guitars just as I would with a real mix.

Here's the link:

https://soundcloud.com/lschefman/tweed-model-mccarty-4

Last edited:
Well, I wrote a little track of the kind I'd use a Tweed amp for, and recorded it. Two observations: one, it's a little bit "stiffer" to play through this model than the real amp, a bit less elastic and forgiving, but second, it sits pretty well in a track in my opinion and doesn't have the artifacts distorted I heard in the other demo I commented on. So it's a nice model. Also, it's nice and crisp on the low strings.

Gear: McCarty full humbucker bridge pickup set around 5-6 for rhythm track, and set to 9 for the solo track; into an Avalon U5 direct box, into UA Apollo. DAW was Logic. I used EQ , reverb and a bit of compression on the guitars just as I would with a real mix.

Here's the link:

https://soundcloud.com/lschefman/ua-tweed-amp-model-demo

love the sound clip! It show how nice the bridge pickup on the McCarty sounds, besides the UA. I liked the arrangement too.

love the sound clip! It show how nice the bridge pickup on the McCarty sounds, besides the UA. I liked the arrangement too.

Thanks!

The UA model sounds pretty good, but the "feel" is different enough that it would probably take some getting used to. I can get similar sounds with my DG30 PRS amp, so I doubt I'll buy it, but it was fun doing this track.

Thanks for doing that.

Damn that sounds good.

It's not too shabby; it's definitely UA's most realistic model. I did have a hard time getting it to respond to "digging in" with the pick, but given its limitations, I'm not unhappy with how the track turned out.

It responds pretty well to the guitar's volume controls, but I'd say more the way a pedal would than a real Tweed amp. I did feel like I was fighting the model a little to get it to respond the way a real amp would, but I'm spoiled by having some very nice tube amps on hand.

One thing I did really like about this model was that the low end was crisp, not at all mushy-fuzzy-indistinct the way some modelers can be.

The clarity of the McCarty pickups helps, too. The guitar is tight sounding, so the model is given a better signal to work with, IMHO.

The UA model sounds pretty good, but the "feel" is different enough that it would probably take some getting used to..

That pretty much sums up my experience with modeled amps. For me, it's nice to have something to give some sounds that the several amps I have cannot make. They never do feel or respond the way the real thing would, but to add different tones to my recordings, it beats the heck out of buying/renting/borrowing more amps or doing without. Not to mention that, even though I am blessed to have a home where I can crank my amps without worrying about neighbors, my wife and young son don't appreciate it late at night. All I have is an old POD XT and NI Guitar Rig, but I still manage to get some use out of them.

Oh and your demo does sound great Les! Thanks for posting that. Unfortunately, I don't have a UA interface, so I can't take advantage of this plug-in (but one of my good friends does - maybe I can talk him into getting it).

Tom

That pretty much sums up my experience with modeled amps. For me, it's nice to have something to give some sounds that the several amps I have cannot make. They never do feel or respond the way the real thing would, but to add different tones to my recordings, it beats the heck out of buying/renting/borrowing more amps or doing without. Not to mention that, even though I am blessed to have a home where I can crank my amps without worrying about neighbors, my wife and young son don't appreciate it late at night. All I have is an old POD XT and NI Guitar Rig, but I still manage to get some use out of them.

Oh and your demo does sound great Les! Thanks for posting that. Unfortunately, I don't have a UA interface, so I can't take advantage of this plug-in (but one of my good friends does - maybe I can talk him into getting it).

Tom

Thanks Tom! I posted a comparison of some real amps vs this model in the amp section of the Forum, and it's interesting to listen to the warmer and more singing qualities of the tube amp recordings as well.

For me, it's nice to have something to give some sounds that the several amps I have cannot make. They never do feel or respond the way the real thing would, but to add different tones to my recordings, it beats the heck out of buying/renting/borrowing more amps or doing without.
Exactly. In my case, it's a space thing. Also, a noise/neighbors thing. So now I have to find out what the most appropriate entry point to the UAD world is. Apollo Twin?

Exactly. In my case, it's a space thing. Also, a noise/neighbors thing. So now I have to find out what the most appropriate entry point to the UAD world is. Apollo Twin?

It's definitely the least complicated, and it works unless you're recording a lot of tracks at once. Pete Thorn uses one, so...it's not like there's a sonic compromise at all.

The clarity of the McCarty pickups helps, too. The guitar is tight sounding, so the model is given a better signal to work with, IMHO.
It took me a while for this to sink in, but this is a very good and important point -- I bet that's true about many models -- garbage in, garbage out. I bet a lot of players don't think about this, they use the same mentality as the "fix it in post" guys do -- they can work with inferior signal, and the model will "fix" things.

Back