Two months wear on CE24, not a good investment

Brian Murphy

Im not a professional in fact started learning guitar just over a year ago. Half of that time playing only my acoustic.
I bought a CE24 and an SE24 August 2020 and a Telecaster a month ago, which has been used more than its share in the past month. The hours played on each guitar is unknown but the CE was played about a third of the time since August, so that would be about two months use on each, and this is the wear on the CE. The SE has a is bound so that edge is protected.
Guitars are not cheap so I take very good care of them with careful handling, waxing and treating fret board with every string change. At first I tried to use my Se for my practicing and using the CE for short periods but once the wear started to show then played it about an equal amount of time as the others.

I would like to know if anyone else has this issue.

Sorry about no photo but they made that difficult so F it. Trust me the paint is gone around about half of the edge around the face of guitar

If you do a search, you'll probably see lots of pictures of old PRSes with superb, intact finishes despite their age, and you'll notice that complaints of finish wear like this are so rare that I can't remember a similar one being expressed. I've been playing PRS for 30 years.

I think we need closeup pics of this wear.

I have extensively gigged some of my PRS guitars and NEVER have come across undo wear and tear on the finish. Shoot, I don't even use the cases, I use a Silver Sky gig bag with ALL my guitars - even when doing road shows.

The ONLY finish issues my guitars have are from the DiMarzio clip (for the strap) sometimes rubs/scratches the guitar around the bottom strap button area.

I'd be very curious to see what's up....

My oldest PRS is a 1999 model that gets played all the time, including live shows. Neither it nor any of my others have weird wear showing. Definitely not the norm in my experience.

I'm confused. You haven't mentioned what the wear issues are.. may want to mention specific issues or link an image to get some insight. Right now this post is like... well ok.. not really sure what you're going for except to complain.

Please do post pictures. Most of us get these guitars to play, not to invest in. I'd also want to know what you clean your guitars with. There are a zillion kinds of wax. My oldest PRS is a 1991 that has been played and loved with no problems. We can't help solve a problem if we can't see it. we do our best to figure it out if you'll assist us on your end.

Sorry to hear you’re seeing wear on your CE24. I’ve got a 2019 CE24 that I bought in December 2019. I play it nearly every day for 45 to 60 minutes. I don’t see any wear at all on the body of my guitar. Just some minor wear on the frets. It might be worth talking to PRS support and see what they say.

Back