Two identical hang tags with different dates for new PRS Studio

Patrick Montgomery

Just one more...
I received a 2021 studio model today which is killer, but it came with two hang tags. They’re identical except for the date. The headstock has a “20,” and I emailed PRS customer service about it and they said it was a 2021 model that finished production as 2020 was wrapping up. I didn’t know about the two hangtags when I emailed them though. One hang tag has 12-4-20, and the other has 3-3-21. This is not an issue for me, but it is curious that there are two of them. Do you guys have any theories on what’s up with the two hang tags? Here’s a pick of the tags and guitar (see my NGD thread for more pics!)

U7uGNbl.jpg

TUWA2DT.jpg

Well the answer is obvious! There should have been two guitars in that case! :p

Also: think how weirded out you'd be if there were differences besides the date on those two hang tags!

All kidding aside, I don't know why that would have happened, but I doubt it's a reason for alarm (there might be a really funny story if somebody dug into it). And that's a seriously badass guitar.

Signed,

A Studio Lover

the neck had to be done before 2021 and the number entered too, because the year was ending and it was already marked on the head, it had to be destined to be a 2021 so it was not to have completely finished the guitar, the rest had to be done after 2020, if he had kept the 2021 and deleted the 2020, you would have noticed, with the 20 he could have had some confusion, so, we simply decided to put another label to tell you that it is is a 2021 model !? it's the same serial number anyway, just in my opinion. and great guitar !!

Clearly circled-back for some reason... or else why else would "JM" (???) have initialed it after Final Check? But then, if it was good-to-go, why would he/she have even initialed it in the first place? Wouldn't that have been the final check? That is weird.

One on the one side, I wouldn't necessarily worry about it, because the stuff that actually leaves Paul's factory is superb. On the other hand, it looks like evidence of quality control having caught something that wasn't perfect. (Which is the point of quality control; I don't mean to sound negative here. They controlled the quality before it left.)

Uh-oh ... the final check guy "JM" is gonna be in trouble when Paul gets wind of this! :eek:

Unless of course JM is John Mayer moonlighting to make a few extra bucks. Then I'd just attribute it to a rookie mistake.

Last edited:
Clearly circled-back for some reason... or else why else would "JM" (???) have initialed it after Final Check? But then, if it was good-to-go, why would he/she have even initialed it in the first place? Wouldn't that have been the final check? That is weird.

One on the one side, I wouldn't necessarily worry about it, because the stuff that actually leaves Paul's factory is superb. On the other hand, it looks like evidence of quality control having caught something that wasn't perfect. (Which is the point of quality control; I don't mean to sound negative here. They controlled the quality before it left.)

If anything was wrong with it they fixed it because the guitar is perfect.

In any case, that’s a little “bonus” easter-egg kind of thing that should only increase the guitar’s perceived value on account of the cache or mystery. I’m not saying by a lot, but... a good story with a guitar has always elevated it’s value—ask the guys at Norm’s Rare Guitars about that.

Back