Two Channel H issues.....and a proper solution

BMiller

So I have a Two Channel H that started blowing fuses for no good reason over a year ago. Even with no tubes and no load, it blows fuses. Having built many amps over the years (mostly JTM45, Super Leads, and Super Bass knock offs with my own voicings and certain mods), I decided to pull the amp and repair it myself. Well it still sits on my bench and I think I know what's wrong...but given that I have no schematics and nor reference material (and of course work and family), this repair has gone on longer than it should. And I really want this amp back!!!

But then it dawned upon me. What would be a better resource if I cant get my eyes on schematics? Another 2 Channel H in fully functional order! So I did some digging and bought another 2 Channel H identical to the one I already own to take measurements off of.

Now, once I repair the first one I "should" sell the second one....."should" being the operative word. I wonder if my wife would notice the fully functional one in my office versus the one on my bench? Hmmmmm......

You guys seem to be endangering my existence. For when my wife does notice the addition, it will probably go like this.

Me - "Honest hun, I bought it to trace the circuit and identify what is wrong with the first one. I can't get schematics nor can I just call up the designer. I need a living sample. You know what it's like." This is not a lie, as it was my initial intention when I clicked "Buy".
Her - "Well you need to get to work on that now and return it while you can."
Me - "Well, here's the thing. Due to all of the after work activities with kids, homework, dinner, bath time, etc. I haven't had time to get to it. And now we are out of the return period."
Her - "What do you do all day? You work from home?! You couldn't have spent some time on it over the past few weeks?"
Me - "Yes I do work from home. But remember that word WORK. It's why the house looks the same at night as it did in the morning.I suggest we get a housekeeper."
Her - Gives me a nasty look, says "We'll talk about this later. Sometimes I don't get you." and walks away.
Me - "But I'm going to put some different tubes in it and it will then be different than any of my other amps! The guys on the forums told me so!" This comment will get me another nasty look.

Yeah, once I get mine working and I survive, I'm going to try some different tubes and make them sound different from each other. EL34s sound promising.

Ha! I love that post, BMiller!

I have similar dialogs going with my wife:

“Is that a new amp?”

“No, I’ve had it for a while.”

“What’s ‘a while’ mean? Like, an hour?”

“No. At least a whole day.”

You guys seem to be endangering my existence. For when my wife does notice the addition, it will probably go like this.

Me - "Honest hun, I bought it to trace the circuit and identify what is wrong with the first one. I can't get schematics nor can I just call up the designer. I need a living sample. You know what it's like." This is not a lie, as it was my initial intention when I clicked "Buy".
Me - "Well, here's the thing. Due to all of the after work activities with kids, homework, dinner, bath time, etc. I haven't had time to get to it. And now we are out of the return period."
Her - "What do you do all day? You work from home?! You couldn't have spent some time on it over the past few weeks?"
Me - "Yes I do work from home. But remember that word WORK. It's why the house looks the same at night as it did in the morning.I suggest we get a housekeeper."
Her - Gives me a nasty look, says "We'll talk about this later. Sometimes I don't get you." and walks away.
Me - "But I'm going to put some different tubes in it and it will then be different than any of my other amps! The guys on the forums told me so!" This comment will get me another nasty look.

Yeah, once I get mine working and I survive, I'm going to try some different tubes and make them sound different from each other. EL34s sound promising.

Ha! I love that post, BMiller!

I have similar dialogs going with my wife:

“Is that a new amp?”

“No, I’ve had it for a while.”

“What’s ‘a while’ mean? Like, an hour?”

“No. At least a whole day.”

Ha! Surround Sound.....in THX! I'm meeting Gush this weekend to hand over a guitar he bought from me. The wife is tagging along on the road trip to make sure I hand it over...and don't come home with another one!

Good thing she doesn't wander down to the basement much. I might be in trouble!

I like the way you think. You should hang out with us more. Look at the bright side. I've been here over 2 years and these guys haven't bankrupted me yet. I can hardly walk in my music room without tripping over something, but hey, it's all paid for. ;)

I like the way you think. You should hang out with us more. Look at the bright side. I've been here over 2 years and these guys haven't bankrupted me yet. I can hardly walk in my music room without tripping over something, but hey, it's all paid for. ;)

You know what you need next is a...............

You're welcome!

As an update, the wife discovered the addition almost immediately. Conversation went as I predicted....but she knows quite well that it is within the return period. So either it goes back soon or I have to sell something of equal value.

Hmmm.....keep the additional PRS amp or sell some other gear.....questions.....

As an update, the wife discovered the addition almost immediately. Conversation went as I predicted....but she knows quite well that it is within the return period. So either it goes back soon or I have to sell something of equal value.

Hmmm.....keep the additional PRS amp or sell some other gear.....questions.....

Simple. Tell your wife that the market for the extra amp is down and you’re waiting for it to pick up again before selling it.

Might buy some breathing space.

Back