Tusq nut assistance.

Opunaesala

Does anybody know which Black TUSQ XL nut is the closest fitting for the newer Tremonti SE Custom? (Grey/Black) I've recently picked one up and am looking to make a couple upgrades (locking tuners, tusq nut, etc). I plan to take it to my shop to have them mod it correctly, but I'd like the closest fitting to provide to them. Thanks in advance!

I put a Core PRS nut on my SE Tremonti easier way to go IMHO equal to or better than Tusq

Possibly, but more expensive. From what I've read/heard, I like the TUSQ nut more. Thank you, though.

Possibly, but more expensive. From what I've read/heard, I like the TUSQ nut more. Thank you, though.
It’s not *that* much more expensive and no/next to no modification is needed with the core nut. Slot depth with the GraphTech can need modification. If you don’t have the right files, you’ll have to make that investment...$60 a piece! From someone who has done both, the easier and more simple solution is the PRS nut.

It’s not *that* much more expensive and no/next to no modification is needed with the core nut. Slot depth with the GraphTech can need modification. If you don’t have the right files, you’ll have to make that investment...$60 a piece! From someone who has done both, the easier and more simple solution is the PRS nut.
Alright, that sounds like the plan then. Thank you for the info.

Some of the Gibson graphtec nuts are the right width and string spacing for the wide fat necks, you just have to sand the bottom carefully to get the string height right. They are about a mm thinner than the stock SE nut.

Worst thing about the SE nuts is the excessive amount of glue slathered on. Removing them often rips off a thin veneer of wood underneath. My second SE has a Floyd,, partly to avoid nuts. But it also replaced another Floyd guitar. Love my two SE's

Last edited:
If you get adventurous and decide to do the work yourself, there are great videos and step-by-step instructions to ensure your success. There are many very knowledgeable people here (like John Mann, himself) to help, too.

Good luck and welcome to the forums!

The Grovers are 18 to 1 as well, but those Hipshots do look cool. Maybe on the next one.
You can't go wrong with both grover, or the hipshot tuners. I just prefer the open back look of the hipshot myself.

Does anybody know which Black TUSQ XL nut is the closest fitting for the newer Tremonti SE Custom? (Grey/Black) I've recently picked one up and am looking to make a couple upgrades (locking tuners, tusq nut, etc). I plan to take it to my shop to have them mod it correctly, but I'd like the closest fitting to provide to them. Thanks in advance!

6 of my 8 SE's are fitted with Core nuts - almost perfect straight off the packaging - the two that dont have Core nuts have bone instead (only bceause PRS dont make a nut a aged white). also consider the fact that you get two nuts for barely over the price of one of the Tusq nuts.

p.s welcome to modding madness;)

I've already got Grover 406cs coming to put into it. Are the Hipshots drop in replacements, they do look pretty cool.
Those are great in an SE! Very smooth and accurate,,,and a complete drop-in replacement. They are tough to restring on a dark stage, but if you don’t gig a lot, you’ll never run into this situation. Enjoy!

Back