Tuning stability question

Seth20

Hi,
I’ve had my S2 35th anniversary for about 4 months now. It has been amazing (and getting better every time I play it!) except for 1 very minor issue. Maybe my expectations were too high regarding tuning stability, but it is at least slightly out of tune after 1 or 2 songs. I only get to play for a few hours a week, so I’m still using the factory installed strings. Initially, I thought the instability was just the new strings, but it’s been about the same. This is with or without tremolo use. My previous guitar was a modified Gibson Les Paul with a Kahler tremolo installed, and I think it stayed in tune better. Any ideas about any necessary adjustments, or is this just the norm for these locking tuners?
Thanks...

First, change the strings. Second, make sure the tuners are on tight, specifically the nuts at the base. Check the tops of the tuners to make sure they are secure (one quarter turn past finger tightness) Third, make sure the tremolo is parallel to the body when not being played. Four, lubricate the nut, I use Vaseline on a toothpick. My trems stay in tune, all the way from SE to Core, so I'm surprised that you're having an issue. My first guess would be the strings .I haven't ever been able to go 4 months on a single set.

Thanks, I’ll try your suggestions. When I first got the guitar, it still was unstable, so I didn’t rush to change the strings (they still sound great). Obviously, there are a lot of (playing technique/style) factors that would affect tuning stability, but what is a realistic expectation for these tuners? It may be an impossible question to answer - but I think my previous guitar could be played for more than an hour and stay in tune.
Thanks again!

Do you play it a minute before checking tuning? Or grab it tune play then recheck? Play it for a minute before checking tuning. Tuning issues I'd look at the nut first. I use graphite on my nuts to keep from binding

First, change the strings. Second, make sure the tuners are on tight, specifically the nuts at the base. Check the tops of the tuners to make sure they are secure (one quarter turn past finger tightness) Third, make sure the tremolo is parallel to the body when not being played. Four, lubricate the nut, I use Vaseline on a toothpick. My trems stay in tune, all the way from SE to Core, so I'm surprised that you're having an issue. My first guess would be the strings .I haven't ever been able to go 4 months on a single set.

You lube your nuts with a toothpick?! Dude!!

Sorry, not sorry.

Hey at least I’m consistent.:D

Back