Tuning Stability (McCarty 594)

Thanks for everyone’s advice. I just changed strings on my 594 about 2 weeks ago but will string again with 10’s but a different brand than the NYXL as some of you guys have suggested. I tried the graphite pencil with no luck. Even thin pencil couldn’t get down into high E slot. Nut too thin/tight plus black graphite on white nut looks awful but you can wipe It off fairly well. Fortunately I have 2 guitars that are rock solid, my Suhr standard plus and my 2018 Les Paul Custom shop reissue. Both are bullet proof and I can play gigs with no worries, total confidence.
However been a PRS guy for years and won’t stop my pursuit. As expensive as they are it is however surprising that any tuning issues would ever creep in.
I can practice for 30 minutes, walk away for 10 or so and way out of tune. Sucks.
Anyway, thanks to all for great tips.
Enjoy your weekend.

I just installed a new set of Gotoh locking tuners. From the instructions: "...may not work well if string is wound on post over 1 turn..."

fsSrgig.jpg

Thanks for everyone’s advice. I just changed strings on my 594 about 2 weeks ago but will string again with 10’s but a different brand than the NYXL as some of you guys have suggested. I tried the graphite pencil with no luck. Even thin pencil couldn’t get down into high E slot. Nut too thin/tight plus black graphite on white nut looks awful but you can wipe It off fairly well. Fortunately I have 2 guitars that are rock solid, my Suhr standard plus and my 2018 Les Paul Custom shop reissue. Both are bullet proof and I can play gigs with no worries, total confidence.
However been a PRS guy for years and won’t stop my pursuit. As expensive as they are it is however surprising that any tuning issues would ever creep in.
I can practice for 30 minutes, walk away for 10 or so and way out of tune. Sucks.
Enjoy your weekend.

You might be able to use a piece of graphite from a propelling pencil, to get into the highE slot.

Gotoh tuners supposed to be better than PRS phase III.
Drilling involved or screw holes in same spot as PRS so lines up nicely?

As Alnus says, PRS phase III are Gotoh.
Why the switch?
Switched on your core 594?

I just installed a new set of Gotoh locking tuners. From the instructions: "...may not work well if string is wound on post over 1 turn..."

fsSrgig.jpg

Enjoy your weekend.

Just curious - when you’re done, you’re still in tune? But it’s out when you walk away and come back later? Does it go out the same way each time, meaning the same string always goes sharp or flat? How do you store it when you walk away? I’d expect the tuning to go out when you played, not when it’s just sitting, and not in that amount of time.

Do you have pets that don’t like you and are just screwing with you?

Just curious - when you’re done, you’re still in tune? But it’s out when you walk away and come back later? Does it go out the same way each time, meaning the same string always goes sharp or flat? How do you store it when you walk away? I’d expect the tuning to go out when you played, not when it’s just sitting, and not in that amount of time.

Prolly a cat. Dogs are too loyal to mess with your axe.

Also remember like me in Scotland, if the room you are in is cool, as you play the strings warm up and will flatten. When you leave your guitar, the strings cool and will sharpen.

Only slightly, but enough to register on your tuner.

Last edited:
PRS are Gotoh

In response to "Gotohs are better than PRS Phase III" several folks have commented that PRS Phase III are in fact manufactured by Gotoh. That does not change the fact that Gotoh-brand tuners seem to be better, or at least have been observed to perform better by many of us (myself included).

Finally got around to it. Jeez Louise look at that stock nut.

ZQu1n4al.jpg

Got it installed yet? How is it? I've got two SEs and a Squier Strat, and on all three I've installed either a Graphtech or Tone Ninja nut and they've been great in comparison to the stock nut. I wouldn't have suspected the stock nut on a 594 to be such that I would want to replace it but maybe that's not a bad idea. Also, which model/part # nut did you get?

Got it installed yet? How is it? I've got two SEs and a Squier Strat, and on all three I've installed either a Graphtech or Tone Ninja nut and they've been great in comparison to the stock nut. I wouldn't have suspected the stock nut on a 594 to be such that I would want to replace it but maybe that's not a bad idea. Also, which model/part # nut did you get?

I'll string it up tonight. Right now it's sitting with just a touch of glue and a light clamp for good measure.

Got this recommendation directly from Graphtech. It's a drop in replacement (with a little sanding to size).

https://graphtech.com/collections/t...-ibanez-style-electric-nut-43-x-6-pql-6643-00

I'll string it up tonight. Right now it's sitting with just a touch of glue and a light clamp for good measure.

Got this recommendation directly from Graphtech. It's a drop in replacement (with a little sanding to size).

https://graphtech.com/collections/t...-ibanez-style-electric-nut-43-x-6-pql-6643-00

Good to know - thanks! I have an extra PQ-6643-00 on hand, which looks like it's the same nut/dimensions just the standard TUSQ version rather than the TUSQ XL. If I decide to try this I'll probably go w/that one. Thanks again!

Wow. Yeah. That was it.

Even with brand new (stretched) strings, the thing is rock solid. So much nicer than fighting with it.

Wow. Yeah. That was it.

Even with brand new (stretched) strings, the thing is rock solid. So much nicer than fighting with it.

Good to know, thanks. I'm not due for new strings anytime soon but I think I'll take a crack at the nut replacement the next time I change.

Back