Tuning Stability (McCarty 594)

I’ve come back to this thread several times already. It almost makes me feel guilty. I own and gig 4 PRS guitars right now (2 x 513 and 2 x 594) and have owned at least that many others in the past. Tune once, play the whole set... every single PRS I’ve ever gigged. My guitar playing partner uses primarily Fender and Gibson and has to tune every third song.

Sad to see you guys struggling. I hope you identify the problem. Being out of tune is no fun.

I've got 4, but really only play 3 of them and wish I could say same. I have no confidence in them and tune during practice or gigs ALOT vs my other guitars I can gig all nite with. My Suhr Standard Plus probably my most rock solid. HIGH quality instrument. Nothing worse than playing out and tuning the damn thing all nite. SO freakin annoying.

Wow. That's crazy. Send it back for a new nut? Holy crap. I've always replaced stock nuts with Graphtech. Might that not be a simpler solution in this case?
Different subject but I did swap the bridge pickup on my 594 from the LT to just 58/15 and love the tone. Got a little extra kick to it that really sounds great. LT still in neck. When she's in tune, guitar sounds and plays awesome. I really like it.

WAY WAY beyond my capability so I can't answer that. I'd never personally (just me talking) attempt to replace a nut especially on a $7,000 guitar which is why I kept sending it back and had them do it. Shipping and work was all free, guitar was under warranty. Wasn't about to attempt myself. I learned a ton about how important a nut is on a guitar regarding the ability to stay in tune and it's key as you probably know. I string like you do, no wrap. Just pull it tight, run it thru locking tuner hole, lock it down and snip excess. Some guys wrap, alot don't. I've had better luck with no wrap. Stretch the crap out of the strings of course. I don't think your problem is with the strings. You need their new Phase III locking tuners with a killer nut and that's about all you can do.

Like I said, I've been doing this for decades. I figured out a long time ago that taking it to the shop is simply a hit on my profit. My number 1 work guitar for years has been a modded Tele that, among other changes, I setup with Graphtech saddles and nuts. I could drag that thing behind the truck on the way to an event and still not have to tune it.

If I'm going to use this guitar, I need to fix it now, like, tonight. I've already reached out to Graphtech for a recommendation. A slotted-nut replacement is literally a 10-minute repair. It already has the Phase-III tuners.

That said, I sincerely appreciate the emotional support...I thought I was losing my mind! The way Smith pitches this gear, I thought I was buying the perfect machine - tuning stability included. I love the way this guitar intonates across and up and down the fretboard, but that's all beside the point if the thing won't stay in tune.

Last edited:
Can you let me know how the Graphtech's work for you? I've got a killer luthier right here in my town that I may try it on if it works for you. One of my three PRS's is acceptable so could try Graaphtech on one of the others if you have good luck with it. Keep me posted. Sorry man, I feel ya. Sucks and unexpected on high end guitars like these. Good luck, let me know.

Different subject but I did swap the bridge pickup on my 594 from the LT to just 58/15 and love the tone. Got a little extra kick to it that really sounds great. LT still in neck. When she's in tune, guitar sounds and plays awesome. I really like it.

While we're on a different subject. Last weekend between events, I dropped the bridge pickup down a couple turns (I always lower the bridge/saddles on new guitars until the strings buzz, and then adjust them back up, and re-intonate, for the lowest possible action). Now the middle position with the single-coil cut on both PUs sounds wonderful.

Can you let me know how the Graphtech's work for you? I've got a killer luthier right here in my town that I may try it on if it works for you. One of my three PRS's is acceptable so could try Graaphtech on one of the others if you have good luck with it. Keep me posted. Sorry man, I feel ya. Sucks and unexpected on high end guitars like these. Good luck, let me know.

Will do. I'll let you know the Part number, too, when I hear back from Graphtech.

So I just read thru this thread , Hmm I can't believe folks are having tuning issues with a 594 ( or most any PRS ) of the 30 PRS I have had only 1 had issues and that was a Bigbsy Starla and you had to dive bomb it to have issues. I have only replaced one nut and that was my only SE , didn't really need it just the black core nut looked better. Just played a bunch of 594s and all were stunning strung with anything from 8s to 10s. I have never had to over stretch the strings. 1/2 turn on the post is all I have ever needed. Just tune up to pitch strum a bit and retune all is good . Phase 2s , Phase 3s and the vintage lockers on the Silver Sky , even the new Vintage Style tuners on the 2020 594s held tune just fine.

So I just read thru this thread , Hmm I can't believe folks are having tuning issues with a 594 ( or most any PRS ) of the 30 PRS I have had only 1 had issues and that was a Bigbsy Starla and you had to dive bomb it to have issues. I have only replaced one nut and that was my only SE , didn't really need it just the black core nut looked better. Just played a bunch of 594s and all were stunning strung with anything from 8s to 10s. I have never had to over stretch the strings. 1/2 turn on the post is all I have ever needed. Just tune up to pitch strum a bit and retune all is good . Phase 2s , Phase 3s and the vintage lockers on the Silver Sky , even the new Vintage Style tuners on the 2020 594s held tune just fine.

Believe it. As it stands, the thing is a basket case tuning-wise.

Like I said initially, I'm hoping that it's simply the shop-worn strings are played out. That's a common cause of tuning instability and could be the root of the problem here. I've had old strings cause problems in the past, but never to this degree. We shall see.

I’ve come back to this thread several times already. It almost makes me feel guilty. I own and gig 4 PRS guitars right now (2 x 513 and 2 x 594) and have owned at least that many others in the past. Tune once, play the whole set... every single PRS I’ve ever gigged. My guitar playing partner uses primarily Fender and Gibson and has to tune every third song.

Sad to see you guys struggling. I hope you identify the problem. Being out of tune is no fun.

I'm with you, Rick. I've owned more than 30 PRS over the years. The only one that gave me any issues was a used SE One I picked up. Installed a Core nut, and Phase IIIs, and went on down the road. Never had a problem with that guitar after that.

Great to hear. I've got a killer Custom 24 that I bought new about 13 years ago that is rock solid. The quality build on that guitar is insane and it will stay in tune. Problem is that it weighs 9.8 lbs and it kills me to gig with. My Les Paul is only 8.2 lbs so of all my PRS guitars, my best one is just too dang heavy. I still play it cuz I can count on it but it's painful. Incredible you've done so well with so many. You are fortunate. Thanks for info, gives some confidence.

My dealer swears that it's unlikely the proprietary nut is the issue. I'm going to change strings and set it up again. Failing that, I'll take it to his tech before I do surgery.

I am pretty sure a new set of 10s is the solution.
I use Daddario 10s myself, no issues for decades.
My 1992 Custom still has the original nut.

Curious to hear what you find. My first thought was that maybe your unfamiliarity w/the Phase IIIs might be leading you to not have the strings locked down properly, but that wouldn't explain strings going sharp. I'd put money on the strings at this point, but that's strictly a guess.

I am pretty sure a new set of 10s is the solution.
I use Daddario 10s myself, no issues for decades.
My 1992 Custom still has the original nut.

D'addario is all I use, except the Thomastik flats on the 335 for jazz. If this doesn't work then it's something else. I'm trusting the dealer on this one.

Curious to hear what you find. My first thought was that maybe your unfamiliarity w/the Phase IIIs might be leading you to not have the strings locked down properly, but that wouldn't explain strings going sharp. I'd put money on the strings at this point, but that's strictly a guess.

I AM unfamiliar with the Phase III tuners. I've never used them. Tonight will be this guitar's first string change. Presumably, I slack the string, loosen the thumbscrew, insert new string, and tighten thumbscrew.

I AM, however, very familiar with locking tuners, having used at least three different varieties in the past.

Good luck, hope it works out and is that simple.
I use the NYXL 10's on my 594 and my Suhr. Love em.
Let us know how it goes.

Phase III are their best and I string exactly as you mention. Very simple. Just a pull thru, no wrap, tighten with your fingers and then I take a dime and just barely/softly tighten up ever so litely. Not much at all. Stretch em out good and let er rip man. Knock em out.

Back