Tuning problems with the Starla?

ExpatGirl

I've read reviews that talk about tuning problems with the Bigsby tremolo on the Starla. Does anyone have any experience either way with this?

Ive had no problems with tuning on my Starla w/Bigsby, unless you just get REALLLLY silly with it. Otherwise its great!

Tuning...Starla

Ive had no problems with tuning on my Starla w/Bigsby, unless you just get REALLLLY silly with it. Otherwise its great!

I'll second that...the bigsby was originally intended to add a little "color" to a note or chord...ALA old surf music.
It has a totally different intention then, say, a floyd rose style trem. Steve Vai...etc...
Side note...with the new Neal Schon PS model, I guess anything is possible at PRS...hollow body jazz style guitar with a floyd...whoa...

I've read reviews that talk about tuning problems with the Bigsby tremolo on the Starla. Does anyone have any experience either way with this?
Just now saw this post, but feel compelled to respond as a new Starla/Bigsby owner with a strong (and correct!) opinion. You probably read the same review I did, which was absolutely effusive about the guitar and its sounds, but mentioned that the Bigsby still had the same old idiosyncrasies it has always suffered. My response? A Bigsby is a Bigsby regardless of where it appears, and never brings the tuning perfectly back in line. Never. It's the nature of the lovely beast, and all Bigsby users/lovers accept that. HOWEVER.....IME so far, the Starla gets closer than any other Bigsby equipped guitar I've ever played in returning each string to proper tune. Chalk that up to the brilliant PRS build quality and design we all love.

So in answer to the original post; Yes, I now have experience with this, and any talk of Bigsby problems are overstated to the point of being meaningless, and that mention in the review was stupid and amateurish. Matter of fact, its use on the Starla minimizes any Bigsby issues to a level I've not yet experienced on any other similarly equipped guitar.

Last edited:
Back