Tuning Knobs 'travel' before engaging

ProgRocker

A few of the tuning knobs seem loose on my '93 CE 24, meaning when I turn the knob there is a little 'travel' before it actually engages and starts to tighten/loosen the string. Is this normal for an older guitar and is there anything I can do to correct this ? My CE 24 has the 'winged tuners', where the D and G share a screw in the back.

Also I have the 5-way selector knob which I've never cared for, as it's very cumbersome. Though I dealt with it since I was very against altering my PRS, as I consider it a work of art. The only thing that appealed to me was the six-way "Free Way switch" by NSF Controls. Which supposedly required no drilling and drops right in (?). Stew Mac carries them. Has anyone installed these and were you satisfied ?

Thanks...

Don't know about the switch. I like the rotary.

The tuners are supposed to have the play in them. There is a cam inside that pinches the string against the wing sleeve. If you are turning the button and it doesn't engage it is just that the cam is coming around the sleeve and it will pick up the string as soon as it makes it around the circle.

I think he may be referring to play in the tuner itself after it’s had a string on it.

I think he may be referring to play in the tuner itself after it’s had a string on it.

Yes, exactly. Sorry, I should have made that clearer.

After the strings are on and I go to adjust the tuning +/- I notice there is some travel before the pitch of the string changes.

I do like the winged tuners and hope I won't have to swap them out for a newer version. If need be, are the original winged tuners still available ?

Thanks...

Last edited:
You just need to give the screws on the end of the tuner buttons a little turn to tighten them up. Won't take much.

I haven't tried the Freeway switch, but I think it might be even more confusing than the rotary on the fly.

ALL gear sets have some lash in them.

I’ve never seen tuners so cheap or worn that they could not hold tuning, BUT it’s important to ALWAYS come UP to pitch from below, to set the lash against slipping. A worm and spur set has a huge mechanical advantage and pulling it backwards is just about impossible.

But if you go down to pitch, you’ve set the lash wrong. THAT can be pulled out.

Yes, exactly. Sorry, I should have made that clearer.

After the strings are on and I go to adjust the tuning +/- I notice there is some travel before the pitch of the string changes.

I do like the winged tuners and hope I won't have to swap them out for a newer version. If need be, are the original winged tuners still available ?

Thanks...
Check that the nut is not binding.

Last edited:
Check the the nut is not binding.

I doesn't seem to be binding at the nut, as far as I can tell. That and I've always applied graphite to allow for easy slippage.
It seems to be in the tuners - possibly the gear - whereas when I turn the tuning knob there is some play before it 'catches' and starts to raise or lower the pitch of the string. The knob will move slightly, then you can feel it catch. It initially feels rather loose until it catches, then thereafter it has a more solid feel as the pitch of the string is raised or lowered. I won't say 'wobbly' but it has a distinct looser feel to it. Also, this is not consistent with all the tuning knobs, as some have more play than others.

Back